Poll: Which guitar should I choose?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which guitar should I choose?
Epiphone Matt Heafy signature Les Paul
5 28%
Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer
4 22%
Something else
9 50%
Voters: 18.
Ok guys and gals. It's tax time and I've got a couple bucks to spend on a new guitar. I've decided I'm interested in the Epi thunderhorse explorer or the epi Matt heafy les Paul custom.

Both of these guitars have plenty of features that are worth purchasing but I want you my peers to let me know what you think. I've whittled down the list to these two since it fit my budget of $600.

Yes I'm aware of the other bazillion guitars out there that i could get in lieu of so don't be a bellend and waste our time with other suggestions unless your info is sound and helpful.

Thunderhorse-

Pros -
Love the explorer body
Silverburst
Good passive pups

Cons-
Push pull pots, don't like them
Comes with only a gig bag

MKH epi les Paul -

Pros-
I've loved the Gibson body style for so long
Hard tail bridge
Emg pickups
Simple electronics

Cons-
Plain aesthetics
No case/bag

Any ideas, suggestions and such are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
If you don't like the push pull pots, you can just not use them.

But yeah those are both really nice-looking guitars. It's hard to go wrong with either of them. They might be sigs, but they do come with useful features, and they don't look like sigs at all, which I do appreciate. Overall I do think they're both well thought out guitars.

With all that said, if you're willing to go used, you could buy a Gibson Explorer/V instead. You'd be better off with one of those.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 26, 2014,
The Thunderhorse sounds like it'll be more versatile with the push-pull pots (even though you said that you don't really care for them). I find passive pickups to be more useful than active pickups. There's just more applications to them. Don't get me wrong, an 18v mod on some EMGs can really open them up, but I just love me some passive.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Yea I didn't take in to consideration the versatility of the push/pull pots. I was just thinking about the signal path and it would hypothetically be my first guitar with them so it seemed like overkill to the uninitiated(me).

Thanks everyone, so far plenty of great info/opinions. Keep them coming.

I've got a poll going and it's open for the next 5 days.

To give you an idea of my play style, I prefer:

Thrash (machine head, testament)
Metalcore (killswitch engage, all that remains, trivium)
Classic rock (ac/dc, Boston, Aerosmith)
Metal (too much to list)
PRS just released an Alex Scholnick model single cut that might be right up your alley.
Quote by monwobobbo
PRS just released an Alex Scholnick model single cut that might be right up your alley.

Ok, that was a double doozy right there, PRS and Scholnick. But I doubt it's in my $600/359£ price range. I will look in to it, it sound tempting. Are you sure it's not an ESP horizon?
Last edited by RustedWithin at Feb 26, 2014,
I'd personally go with the Matt Heafy signature because it has the axcess heel. I just love the way a neck-through construction feels, and you won't find many Gibson/Epiphone guitars that have that kind of neck joint.
Last edited by Dense Ingot at Feb 26, 2014,
Quote by monwobobbo

You mean ESP?
Go for the Skolnick sig or another LTD Eclipse with the JB/59 set, can't go wrong there and much much much better than an epiphone.
I have an older, Goldtop LE Ravelle with the same specs as this guitar:
http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/shin-series-guitars/55-ravelle-shin-dragon.html

It is a rock/metal machine.

I also have one of these, which gives you the Sustainer: http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/ravelle/62-ravelle-elite.html

Another discounted axe suited perfectly to he ask is this:

https://reverb.com/item/72575-reverend-bayonet-electrical-guitar

Each of these is new, and the discount on each is nearly equal to your budget.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 26, 2014,
I was GAS'ing for the Thunderhorse Explorer too, so I went to a local music store to check one out. They didn't have the Thunderhorse edition, but I did play the LTD Explorer Pro, the one with the see through silver finish.

Let me just say that I wasn't impressed. In fact the only Epi that I played that day that didn't totally suck was the Zakk Wylde model. The Matt Heafey model does look pretty sweet though, and has some cool features. Given the choice I would definitely pick the MHK model.

In the end I bought another Korean made guitar, which I am very happy with. I wouldn't even take the Epi Zakk Wylde over my Ravelle Deluxe. Just felt a little let down by all the made in China Epis.

BTW I voted other, but if I was looking for another guitar, and I got a chance to play the Epiphone MHK LP, then I would totally consider it. Like I said, I really like the specs.
Last edited by ninjamunky85 at Feb 26, 2014,
@ninjamunky85 I wasn't impressed with the epi zakk wylde les paul. Aesthetically, I don't like gold hardware and it seemed way too light for a les paul. It played like a beast but it just wasn't for me. I like fernandes but I wish I had bought the V when they carried it, it was pretty solid.

@dannyalcatraz I'm a fan of fernandes so I might hit up the local shops to see if they have one. The ravelle has that alluring body design that says I'm related to Paul but he's a distant cousin.

@badmotorfingers I'm an ESP man at heart but I can never find one with exactly what I want on it. Also if I were picking pups I'd choose the Seymour Duncan sh-6 set.

I'm leaning towards the Mkh Les Paul because it has all the features I'd like for a pretty sweet price. But I am going to look in to those alternatives. Thanks again everyone.
Quote by RustedWithin
@ninjamunky85 I wasn't impressed with the epi zakk wylde les paul. Aesthetically, I don't like gold hardware and it seemed way too light for a les paul. It played like a beast but it just wasn't for me. I like fernandes but I wish I had bought the V when they carried it, it was pretty solid.

Man, that's the way I felt about every Epi that I played, including the explorer. If I'm looking at a LP style guitar then I want it to have a nice heft to it. I don't know what they are doing to the Epi's that are made in China.

Hopefully the MHK edition is better.
dannyalcatraz I'm a fan of fernandes so I might hit up the local shops to see if they have one. The ravelle has that alluring body design that says I'm related to Paul but he's a distant cousin.

Just to be clear- those prices are only on Fernandes' direct sales website. Go anywhere else for one of those few guitars they have there right now and you're probably burning money.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by RustedWithin
@badmotorfingers I'm an ESP man at heart but I can never find one with exactly what I want on it. Also if I were picking pups I'd choose the Seymour Duncan sh-6 set.

I meant the guitars that come stock with JB/59 rather than the ones that come stock with EMGs.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Ok, that was a double doozy right there, PRS and Scholnick. But I doubt it's in my $600/359£ price range. I will look in to it, it sound tempting. Are you sure it's not an ESP horizon?[/QUOTE

oops Marty Friedman sorry. my bad. still seems like a good guitar for you. street price $649 in US. Alex has been playing Heritage LP style guitars. one of those might be had for what you want to spend used. not sure how hard they are to find whee you are.
Quote by RustedWithin

If anything, I find Epiphone Les Pauls way too heavy.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by Dense Ingot
I'd personally go with the Matt Heafy signature because it has the axcess heel. I just love the way a neck-through construction feels, and you won't find many Gibson/Epiphone guitars that have that kind of neck joint.

If it's a choice between those two, I'd probably go with the Matt Heafy LP. It's not a neck-through guitar, but neither are the Axcess or (more originally) the Neal Schon Gibsons from which that neck heel shape is taken. That neck heel really transforms the LP and how you play it.

I'm not a fan of the EMGs, but given what you're playing, they'll probably fit (if I've got a choice for the genre, I'd rather the SD AHD Blackouts) just fine.

This isn't going to be your first choice for downtuning (nor would the Thunderweasel be); even Heafy has a 7-string version of this guitar (about $800) for that.

If this doesn't have the weight you're looking for, buy an Agile AL-3200. Same neck heel shape, plus tummy cut, and it's a SOLID body guitar (meaning: heavy) and it's also neck-through construction. And if you're going to downtune, check out the semi-custom order blank; that guitar is available in other scales up to 30", with 24 frets, with no inlays at all, in a variety of finishes (don't order matte finish guitars; you'll hate them in two years).
I don't see downtuning in my future. Too many bands do it now and I think it's refreshing to hear someone play in standard a440 tuning. Yea it sounds high but you can hear everything so clearly.

If I do choose the epi mkh les paul I would probably debate whether to get the 6 or 7 string. The b string would open up some great possibilities.

So far the only caveat I've seen is that musicians friend is showing July before the 6 string version of the MKH paul is in stock for what I'm willing to pay for it. It's worth the wait though
Last edited by RustedWithin at Feb 27, 2014,