I've been listening to a lot of doom metal lately, and it has clearly solidified it's place as my favourite metal subgenre. I found out that Sunn O))) amps have somewhat of a cult status among doom metal guitarists and bassist, so I thought I'd check up on them.

But really, they don't have much of a homepage, and I can't find anything on sale. So I thought I'd drop by here and ask about their quality, tone, charasteristics and where I could buy one. I'm thinking of subgenres like doomdeath and funeral doom, not your traditional sabbath/candlemass doom.

Thanks

EDIT: just realized that the "O)))" isn't part of their name :P my bad.
Last edited by guitar/bass95 at Feb 26, 2014,
Sunn uses a lot of different amps all played at once, at obscene volumes, so that they get infinite sustain. It’s not really something you can recreate unless you have access to a lot of gear and a huge space with great acoustics.

Alternately, just run a muff into an overdriven amp with appropriate delay and reverb.
Sunn discontinued producing amps after they were acquired by Fender. A lot of bands in the Stoner/Doom metal genre like to use them (such as Red Fang). Pretty much your only bets would be to head to every used instrument shop in the area, check craigslist religiously, and raid e-bay for a good deal. They're not so easy to come by.

Edit: A little more research shows that Sunn O))) uses the Model T tube amp. Red Fang I know uses the Beta which is a solid state amp. Both of them are pretty popular amps in that scene, and you should be able to hear the different characteristics of each amp with some youtube action.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Last edited by Generalpwnt at Feb 26, 2014,
Sunn hasn't been a company since 2002. All of their classic amps were made in the mid-60s to 70s.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I figured as much as eBay only has 70's amps for sale, only the solaris model and some other. Thanks for the information, used amp scene here in finland isn't great but I'll look around. being such an old and rare company, I guess no one can tell which is their flagship tube amp? And yeah, I'll check youtube too.
Quote by Generalpwnt
Sunn discontinued producing amps after they were acquired by Fender. A lot of bands in the Stoner/Doom metal genre like to use them (such as Red Fang). Pretty much your only bets would be to head to every used instrument shop in the area, check craigslist religiously, and raid e-bay for a good deal. They're not so easy to come by.

Edit: A little more research shows that Sunn O))) uses the Model T tube amp. Red Fang I know uses the Beta which is a solid state amp. Both of them are pretty popular amps in that scene, and you should be able to hear the different characteristics of each amp with some youtube action.

Wow, i'm surprised! Always assumed Red Fang used Oranges.
Quote by guitar/bass95
I figured as much as eBay only has 70's amps for sale, only the solaris model and some other. Thanks for the information, used amp scene here in finland isn't great but I'll look around. being such an old and rare company, I guess no one can tell which is their flagship tube amp? And yeah, I'll check youtube too.

Model T.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The Model T was Sunn's flagship tube guitar amplifier. It was never very popular in its day; probably because at that time most guitarists thought "Marshall or Bust!" Actually, Sunn's flagship guitar amplifier was a solid-state amp called the Coliseum Lead (320 watts RMS). Sunn was more popular with bassists, as they were not such die-hard fans of tube amps. The Coliseum Bass (and the smaller Concert Bass) had quite a following in the early 1970s, and most of the great arena rock bassists used them at some point in their careers.

Before the Doom Metal people discovered the Model T, you could find them used in good shape and selling for next to nothing. Now it is a highly desirable amp and specimens in good shape bring premium prices.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
You might like Doom and think Sunn is the answer, but look at an old laney AOR. Amazing amps for what you want. That or an Orange OR80
Fender reissued the model T and it is not like the original
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 26, 2014,
Thanks a lot jpnyc custom preamp pedals cannot be anything but cool.

And I recall hearing the phrase "model T" a lot, so it was the only sunn amp I recognize. I like tube amps better, so if I ever decide to buy a sunn amp someday, I'd choose the T over the Coliseum.

I'll look into the laney too, I've heard a ton of good things about laneys, and I've always wanted a VH100R
Quote by ambler3
Wow, i'm surprised! Always assumed Red Fang used Oranges.

Yeah man, they rock it hard. Saw them a couple months back just running those Sunn Betas and maybe 2 or 3 pedals. They keep a pretty uninterrupted chain to their amps.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead