Hi everyone !

I've recently bought a new amp; a Peavey 6505+ Combo.

After few rehearsals with my band (we play mostly insert-what-you-want-core), the sound of this amp without any pedal isn't what I want. I can't really describe what sound I want... Maybe a bit more... "modern" ?

Do you have any advice about what kind of pedal should I buy ? I've seen some recommendations about the Maxon OD808, your thoughts ?

My gear :
- Amp : Peavey 6505+ Combo
- Guitar : Schecter Blackjack C-1
If yo can't get a modern core sound out of the 6505+ you're doing something wrong. I really can't think of any more modern sounding metal combo. But if you really do want to boost it more, the Maxon OD is pretty good, also Ibanez tubescreamers are pretty popular.
Well, the story behind this is that I actually like the amp' sound, but the other guitarist find it sounds like an old disto (his words) even if I turn the gain 15h+.

He plays with a multi-effect pedal, a korg ax5g, plugged into the return of his amp. His disto sounds like an already mixed sound, absolutely not bright and natural.

So, the problem comes mostly from him and not my amp I thought ?
If he doesnt like it then thats his problem?

But, an OD and an EQ helps me get the "perfect" sound out of my 5150ii.
V30 2x12 does a good job too
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Sounds like his idea of amp sounds could be a spider. You shouldn't have to turn your gain up past 5-6. It sounds like he could be using way too much and causing a muddy sound. Im only basing this on my experience with people saying things like that about amps. My buddy came over to check out my dual rec roadster and brought a guy who plays and the dude tried to tell me that he would never buy a mesa because it didn't have enough gain. Im like seriously, you know lamb of god uses mesas right (happens to be his fav band) and he said if they must use a metal zone because that's what he uses and it sounds "perfect" . if that is the kind of person he is then maybe one day he will learn.

Either way, the only thing you could use IMO would be a boost to "tighten" it, it really doesn't need more gain and should not be maxed out or your band will sound muddy live.

Just my opinion
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Sounds to me like he just doesn't know what real amp sounds like
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
If you want to buy on the cheap, consider a Digitech Bad Monkey, they're good for the £30 they are. Same applies for the Joyo vintage OD (I think it's called that).

While you're at it, you may want a noise gate to control feedback, but that's up to you really.

In terms of settings, try this:

Pre: 3
Low: 5
High: 6
Mid: 7
Pres: 8
Res: 1

May be a little off though, as I don't use the stock speaker. But however definitely keep the post at 3-4 ish.
ambler3, I don't think ts is doing anything wrong. I think he just has a bandmate that's never experienced that tubey goodness we all know and love.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
Sounds like his idea of amp sounds could be a spider. You shouldn't have to turn your gain up past 5-6. It sounds like he could be using way too much and causing a muddy sound. Im only basing this on my experience with people saying things like that about amps. My buddy came over to check out my dual rec roadster and brought a guy who plays and the dude tried to tell me that he would never buy a mesa because it didn't have enough gain. Im like seriously, you know lamb of god uses mesas right (happens to be his fav band) and he said if they must use a metal zone because that's what he uses and it sounds "perfect" . if that is the kind of person he is then maybe one day he will learn.

Either way, the only thing you could use IMO would be a boost to "tighten" it, it really doesn't need more gain and should not be maxed out or your band will sound muddy live.

Just my opinion

Ahah, that's exactly what happened. He was like "hey, I hope you know every metalcore bands use distortion pedals to sound like this! Tell me one band who doesn't use these ?". I was like "eeeeeh, no, just, no". He's really convinced about that :/

Thank you for all your answers, I'll try to explain things to my buddy and do some tests on my amp ! I'll keep you in the loop
Tell him to name one that does. Bet I can name 10:1 over him.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent