Poll: What should I get
Poll Options
View poll results: What should I get
A new speaker for peavey vk-112 amp
7 58%
OR a SH-4 Seymour Duncan JB pickup for my 96 MIM strat
5 42%
Voters: 12.
Okay, I asked this on guitar building but I would like to see what the people here say. If you don't want this post here instead of moving it just delete it please.

Should I get a SH-4 Humbucker for my 96 Mexican strat, or replace the stock speaker in my Peavey VK-112 amp? Idk what speaker I should get, I like hard rock (Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters etc.) My budget is $70 if you think I should get a new speaker. Pickup would go in bridge position. Thanks.
Speaker swap for deffo
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
first, what pup combination do you have in the strat. the VK sounds great with new tubes and a man o war speaker IMO.

For only 70 bucks I say pickup 3 jj 12ax7s (30 bucks) and two jj 6l6s (34) at tubedepot.com.
Then when you can afford it, replace the speaker, some cheap well made speakers are from wgs4.com. Also take a few dollars and buy a pedal coupler to link the effects loop if you aren't already running effects. Also plug into input one and buy on of those cheap 1/4 to headphone jacks and plug it into the first one. Can't tell you why, but those two cheap things make a huge difference in those amps. Then when you replace the tubes it should should tons better. Once you replace that speaker later it will sound 100x better from those changes.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Yeah, would plug into input one, if I had one lol. I bought it broke off for about 100 dollars cheaper. Got any idea on how to fix it without going to a mechanic dealio? I have stock fender pickups i think, idk what kind or how to tell.

Last edited by 457undead at Feb 26, 2014,
Can you solder, if so you could put a new one in but not that big of a deal. Input one was useless anyway.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
first, what pup combination do you have in the strat. the VK sounds great with new tubes and a man o war speaker IMO.

For only 70 bucks I say pickup 3 jj 12ax7s (30 bucks) and two jj 6l6s (34) at tubedepot.com.
Then when you can afford it, replace the speaker, some cheap well made speakers are from wgs4.com. Also take a few dollars and buy a pedal coupler to link the effects loop if you aren't already running effects. Also plug into input one and buy on of those cheap 1/4 to headphone jacks and plug it into the first one. Can't tell you why, but those two cheap things make a huge difference in those amps. Then when you replace the tubes it should should tons better. Once you replace that speaker later it will sound 100x better from those changes.

Basically all of this, although I felt the speaker change made a little bigger difference than tubes when I had mine. Both make a world of difference though.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
WGS Veteran 30 $69 at MF with free shipping.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
when did MF start selling WGS? I missed the memo.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
when did MF start selling WGS? I missed the memo.

just a few months ago. they are the same price as the WGS site, only you get free shipping from MF and it is $20ish from WGS. So it is actually cheaper
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by bluestratplayer
Can you solder, if so you could put a new one in but not that big of a deal. Input one was useless anyway.

Are you sure that it is useless? please tell me you are sure lol. if im using low gain than that means I'm not getting the distortion I could be getting plus the volume I thought.
Quote by 457undead
Are you sure that it is useless? please tell me you are sure lol. if im using low gain than that means I'm not getting the distortion I could be getting plus the volume I thought.

It's not 'useless', technically. But, there is a slight difference in how the two inputs sound and it's generally accepted that input 2 sounds better.

Get the speaker. It's going to give the biggest change and improvement in your sound. New pickups aren't necessarily a bad idea, but the speaker is a bigger constraint on how good of a sound you can ultimately get.

A lot of people like the Vintage 30 and variants on that for the Valve King. I've never tried it, but it's pretty popular. I had a Man o' War in my 112 for a long time and it was a great improvement over the stock.
Well input two has lower gain but more USABLE gain. Plugging into it and using a cheap boost will get you where you want to be and input two is more defined.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
A cheap boost like A Boss DS-1? I have one, not sure if I like or not because whenever I use it I get a LOT of feedback when on gain channel. It's new.
no a tube screamer variant. A bad monkey works well on the cheap. Just turn the gain all the way down and volume about full blast.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
The DS-1 can be used as a boost in pinch. It's not common, but not unheard of. Basically, turn the Dist to 0, level to full, tone to taste.
Quote by Robbgnarly
just a few months ago. they are the same price as the WGS site, only you get free shipping from MF and it is $20ish from WGS. So it is actually cheaper

Really? !!!

I think that a speaker will make a bigger difference than tubes.

But that's kind of dependent on what tubes are in it/how dead they are.

I would go for the WGS G12T75 clone instead of the Reaper 30 IMO.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Robbgnarly
WGS Veteran 30 $69 at MF with free shipping.
This. Do This.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.