is it legal for another website to copy my chord chart and post it on their website?

I put a chord chart on ultimate-guitar.com. The next day, I googled it, and it popped up on guitaretab.com. Same chord chart, same mistakes that I had made. Word-for-word, note-for-note. Is this legal?
and if it wasn't do you really think that is going to stop anybody from re-submitting it else where? Did they take the credit for the work? If not I do not see the harm Larz.
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
Quote by Ikillintel
and if it wasn't do you really think that is going to stop anybody from re-submitting it else where? Did they take the credit for the work? If not I do not see the harm Larz.

Thanks. I don't know the law when it comes to websites and submissions to this site, so I guess I have a lot to learn.
They can't take your music and perform it without your permission. I perform chord charts alot at my gigs, so it really doesn't bother me. I am learning a new song that is just an instrumental tonight. Gotta gig next week.
Quote by fourpeat
I put a chord chart on ultimate-guitar.com. The next day, I googled it, and it popped up on guitaretab.com. Same chord chart, same mistakes that I had made. Word-for-word, note-for-note. Is this legal?
Technically yes because when you submit your tab to UG, you agree to let UG claim ownership of your tab. You're giving UG your tab. And under UG's license, it is a 100% ear transcribed tab, so as long as it's not an official band tab, it's legal.

Also, it would seem that UG shares it with 911 Tabs. It's pretty much a site that has a collection of tabs using different sites. So in other words, it's not the only site that's using your tabs. In fact, this literally happens to every single tab submitted to UG.

Example, if you go your Dallas Holm - Rise Again tab, scroll over the Ver2 link, and click the More Versions @911Tabs.com link, you'll get this:

http://www.911tabs.com/tabs/d/dallas_holm/rise_again_tab.htm

Some are yours and some are the other version.

I know it feels like your getting ripped off, but nothing would be in it for you anyways. Just try not to get bothered by it and enjoy the idea of helping people via other tab sites.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Feb 27, 2014,
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Technically yes because when you submit your tab to UG, you agree to let UG claim ownership of your tab. You're giving UG your tab. And under UG's license, it is a 100% ear transcribed tab, so as long as it's not an official band tab, it's legal.

Also, it would seem that UG shares it with 911 Tabs. It's pretty much a site that has a collection of tabs using different sites. So in other words, it's not the only site that's using your tabs. In fact, this literally happens to every single tab submitted to UG.

Example, if you go your Dallas Holm - Rise Again tab, scroll over the Ver2 link, and click the More Versions @911Tabs.com link, you'll get this:

http://www.911tabs.com/tabs/d/dallas_holm/rise_again_tab.htm

Some are yours and some are the other version.

I know it feels like your getting ripped off, but nothing would be in it for you anyways. Just try not to get bothered by it and enjoy the idea of helping people via other tab sites.

Thanks. It really doesn't bother me. I look at these chord charts as a ministry and for weddings songs. You're right, I'm not making any money off of them, so the more people who use them, the better I appreciate the info. I'm new at this, so I'm learning. I've been going back and updating the ones I've submitted a lot this week, now that I know a little more about music the ways that the chord charts are supposed to look.
Quote by shanna23
They can't take your music and perform it without your permission. I perform chord charts alot at my gigs, so it really doesn't bother me. I am learning a new song that is just an instrumental tonight. Gotta gig next week.

Ever hear of a cover band? I think you meant they can't take your music and perform it claiming it as their own... unless you didn't copyright then you got your hands full, but wait there's more, I know for a fact Pantera on more than one album has taken guitar parts note for note from Overkill, recorded it and released it. Overkill -Horrorscope- Blood Money (1991) Pantera- Reinventing The Steel - (2000) Yesterday Dont mean shit guitar is note for note one just plays it faster than the other. As I said it's not the only song they took guitar parts from Overkill, there are 2 more I just can't remember them right off.
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
Hey all.
911tabs just index tabs from tab sites, like Google does it with all sites on the Internet. So, we don't host any files or tabs - only links.
We also know that many tab sites clone tabs from UG and add them to their own databases. If they have correspondend licenses on tabs it's ok. UG has all of them.
All tabs here! New design for better experiance!