Hey guys, Recently i had the chance to play a Gibson Sonex 180 the Deluxe version i believe and it was simply awesome, they seem very very rare, only ran from 1980-1984 i think, anyone else played or owned one? Thinking about buying one, seen a couple on the net, what do ya reckon?

Cheers
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
Quote by CJGunner7
Hey guys, Recently i had the chance to play a Gibson Sonex 180 the Deluxe version i believe and it was simply awesome, they seem very very rare, only ran from 1980-1984 i think, anyone else played or owned one? Thinking about buying one, seen a couple on the net, what do ya reckon?

Cheers

had one. they aren't bad guitars and many of them came with dirty fingers pickups which is one of my fav Gibson pups. they aren't made of wood (neck is). they only made them for a short while as they didn't prove to be very popular. if it can be had for a reasonable price then go for it.
Quote by CJGunner7

The Sonex guitar was originally designed to be a cheapie (essentially a beancounter design) for specific dealers. There aren't a lot of them because they weren't very popular (often "rare" translates that way), but they're not particularly rare. The body, as mentioned, was a coating of "Resonwood" over a core (sometimes mahogany, sometimes not). It's always been cheaper to build bolt-neck guitars, and that's how Gibson went with this one.

The Deluxe was actually the lowest-priced model ($299 at introduction, it was Gibson's cheapest guitar at the time) and came with Velvet Bricks, not Dirty Fingers. In '81 they dropped the Standard. In '82 they dropped the Custom, and in '84 they finally dropped the Deluxe, but by that time the price had gone up to $419 (look at inflation and mortgage interest rates in the early '80's to know why).

Don't overpay for a Sonex...
Quote by dspellman
The Sonex guitar was originally designed to be a cheapie (essentially a beancounter design) for specific dealers. There aren't a lot of them because they weren't very popular (often "rare" translates that way), but they're not particularly rare. The body, as mentioned, was a coating of "Resonwood" over a core (sometimes mahogany, sometimes not). It's always been cheaper to build bolt-neck guitars, and that's how Gibson went with this one.

The Deluxe was actually the lowest-priced model ($299 at introduction, it was Gibson's cheapest guitar at the time) and came with Velvet Bricks, not Dirty Fingers. In '81 they dropped the Standard. In '82 they dropped the Custom, and in '84 they finally dropped the Deluxe, but by that time the price had gone up to $419 (look at inflation and mortgage interest rates in the early '80's to know why).

Don't overpay for a Sonex...

I'm also so looking at a Gibson LPJ, would that be better?
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
i have two sonex's both with dirty fingers. one had a fractured headstock but was well repaired and the whole neck is refinished (they did't go over the logo or anything important. i got one for $150ish the second was in better shape. still under S200. i love the dirty fingers.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by CJGunner7
I'm also so looking at a Gibson LPJ, would that be better?

The Sonex will last longer.

And I'm not a fan of the LPJs.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i have two sonex's both with dirty fingers. one had a fractured headstock but was well repaired and the whole neck is refinished (they did't go over the logo or anything important. i got one for $150ish the second was in better shape. still under S200. i love the dirty fingers.

I think everything but the Deluxe came with Dirty Fingers. I think the better '80 ES-335S
s came with Dirty Fingers as well. Now THAT was a guitar I thought was a goof when it came out, but now I want one <G>.