Greetings UG!

I have an amp question which I haven't found asked elsewhere here:

Is it possible/safe to use the effects loop send on a valve amp (in my case Laney vc15, or Fender RK twin) as a headphone out which would work alongside my speaker?

Basically I share the stage with quite a lot of musicians and have a hard time hearing myself unless the amp is way too loud for the sound tech's convenience. In order to keep my stage volume low, but myself happy I want to have some guitar going to headphones, but still have the amp speaker going for micing up.

Any thoughts on this or experience pertaining to it would be much appreciated

All the best!
...concise. Care to elaborate?
Not possible or just bad idea?
(Forgot to add it would be going through a smaller mixer on my pedalboard to control the level.)
^^
safe, yes, but it wouldn't work.
Impedance and levels problems and such...

Plus unless you had a parallel FX loop the signal wouldn't have any way of going from the pre to the power amp.
The best solution I can think of is using monitors on stage.
Or maybe lowering the mic volume and raising the amp's.

If there's the mixer you can use the mixer's headphones output, that would work just fine unless you had a really featureless mixer that either didn't have a headphones output or wasn't able to feed both the main out and the headphones out at the same time.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Feb 27, 2014,
There may be a way of doing this.

If you were to run a multi effects unit with stereo outputs in the loop of your VC15, you could run the R output to your amp and plug headphones into the L output.

I can't think of a reason why this wouldn't work, but am happy to be corrected if I've missed something. In theory, the effects send is being used for it's intended purpose, there is a signal going back to the amp, and you are plugging your headphones into an output that is designed to work with headphones*

But just plugging headphones into the effects send is a bad idea.

* This is based on my old Boss ME50 and my current Zoom G3, both of which used the L output for headphones. Don't know how universal that is.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Thanks guys,
I believe the FX loop is parralel on the laney, not sure about the twin.

Re the stereo multi FX, perhaps the same could be accomplished with a DI?

This HK red box looks like a promising candidate...
It's definitely a parallel loop on my VC30.

Don't know about the DI thing, I'm only basing a theoretical option based on a few assumptions. Going to leave it for someone more technically minded to tell me why it won't work.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud