Ibanez guitar, for the most part, are pretty well made, and the pickups, hardware, and preamps are of good quality.

In the case of this instrument, the top is described as, "cedar"(*).

This generally indicates that it is laminated top. If it were a solid cedar top, they would be crowing about it, sic, "solid cedar top"

Cedar is mellow to begin with, and laminated cedar would probably be a bit dull. Which is most likely the reason they ship the guitar with 80/20 "brass" strings, which are quite bright.

There is one small positive with the laminated cedar top. Cedar has a "high velocity" of sound, and that causes it to, at times, to be over driven by a very aggressive flatpicker.

In this case the sound, (Particularly the bass), would be better controlled by the stiffness of the laminated top.

Shooting from the hip, I'd say with some due diligence, you could most likely find something better, for about the same money.

(*) Actually spelled "CEDER" in one place,and "CEDAR" in another on its home page. In the US, it's always spelled "cedar", or FF's spell checker goes crazy....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 27, 2014,
i usually recommend getting a guitar with built in tuner/electronics. in this case, i'd suggest getting a guitar without if that's what your budget is. you can do a whole lot better price-wise if you forego the electronics. i can't find much on the '17. just on the '15 and '28s.
is a dread what your looking for? or are you looking to play a lot of fingerstyle or lead type stuff with it? if so, a smaller body will offer a lot more clarity.
something with an all-solid top will sound a LOT better. then again, don't know your budget,intentions with it or style. i'm not a fan of laminate top guitars. they tend to sound very dull yet somehow boxy. if you've been playing 6 years already, you'll hate it i would think . lams are good for beginners in my opinion but not for an intermediate or expert player.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Step, additionally, the Ibanez in question iis a fairly low end piece. It only sports a 2 band EQ, with NO anti-feedback sweep filter.

I'm wondering if they have the hubris to call it,"Performance", why it doesn't sport the tools to make that happen better.

(Laminated tops aren't as prone to feedback as solids are).

The Gibson ES-335 is emblematic of this. The solid topped versions of it were shunned by performers as they, "fed back too readily'. Now they're all lams.
Thanks for the replies guys. As I have no experience with acoustic, your advices are much appreciated.

I'll most probably be doing finger picking on the acoustic. I'm pretty fussy about the playability of a guitar though. The guy that sells this guitar says this is a great guitar for its price but I won't have a chance to test it.

I'm afraid I would hate it too. Thats why I'm considering takamine g340sc now but that'll be pricey here in my country, they jack up the price.
Last edited by xXDistortionXx at Feb 28, 2014,
Quote by xXDistortionXx
....[ ]....I'll most probably be doing finger picking on the acoustic. I'm pretty fussy about the playability of a guitar though. The guy that sells this guitar says this is a great guitar for its price but I won't have a chance to test it.
...[ ]....
SOLID CEDAR tops, are considered by many, to be ideal for finger picking. (It's the whole, "velocity of sound" thing again). In fact, a large portion of classical, nylon strung guitars, have those type tops.

In any event, solid top guitars, whether spruce or cedar, have a more energetic response to picking than do laminated tops, be it with fingers or plectrum.