A U.S. appeals court has ordered Google to remove an anti-Islamic film from Youtube. The plaintiff is an actress who claims she was duped into participating in the anti-Islamic video. She claims that she did not know the five or so seconds she appeared on screen would be for a propaganda film. Rather than suing the makers of the film, she is seeking to have the film removed on the grounds that she has a copyright over her image. Google is naturally claiming that this is an act of prior restraint on free speech.

What do you think?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/26/us-google-youtube-film-idUSBREA1P1HK20140226

In court filings, Google argued that Garcia appeared in the film for five seconds, and that while she might have legal claims against the director, she should not win a copyright lawsuit against Google.

The film has now become an important part of public debate, Google argued, and should not be taken down.

"Our laws permit even the vilest criticisms of governments, political leaders, and religious figures as legitimate exercises in free speech," the company wrote.

But Garcia argued that her performance within the film was independently copyrightable and that she retained an interest in that copyright.

A lower court had refused her request that Google remove the film from YouTube. In Wednesday's decision, however, 9th Circuit Chief Judge Alex Kozinski said Garcia was likely to prevail on her copyright claim, and having already faced "serious threats against her life," faced irreparable harm absent an injunction.

Not even news. People do this all the time when their image is used without consent.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Of course she's going to file a claim against Google instead of the director, what with Google having way more money.

Just another person trying to strike it rich in our sue-happy society.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
I think this happened on It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
Israel is a terrorist state.
A temporary hold on the video being shown on Google while she tackles the issue with the director/publisher/whomever seems like a better solution, since accidentally appearing in an anti-Islamic film could certainly put you into legitimate danger.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Of course she's going to file a claim against Google instead of the director, what with Google having way more money.

Stupid redneck she's not suing Google for monetary damages.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Dreadnought
A temporary hold on the video being shown on Google while she tackles the issue with the director/publisher/whomever seems like a better solution, since accidentally appearing in an anti-Islamic film could certainly put you into legitimate danger.
This makes the most sense to me. The whole case seems like the wrong party being faulted for the wrong "crime," which is unfortunate because she certainly seems to have been wronged. I don't get why a lawyer or lower court judge didn't suggest a more appropriate avenue.

Of course, just being naive doesn't come with any protections. So maybe she should just be told, tough luck, read the script next time.
Quote by seanlang01
This makes the most sense to me. The whole case seems like the wrong party being faulted for the wrong "crime," which is unfortunate because she certainly seems to have been wronged. I don't get why a lawyer or lower court judge didn't suggest a more appropriate avenue.

Of course, just being naive doesn't come with any protections. So maybe she should just be told, tough luck, read the script next time.

The actor in question is Cindy Lee Garcia, who (along with basically the entire cast and crew of the film) thought she was working on a production called Desert Warrior. Garcia had just a bit part in the film, for which she was paid $500. But filmmaker Nakoula Basseley Nakoula gave her a starring role in the trailer by taking her footage and (badly) dubbing in one of its most controversial lines: "Is your Mohammed a child molester?" Once the trailer made it to YouTube, Garcia received death threats and at least one fatwa from an Egyptian cleric.

Naivety is not the issue.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Sleaze Disease

I've not looked into the whole issue and whether she is seeking reparation in damages or she simply wants the video removed due to her feeling the video might be detrimental to her image or self respect etc so it could simply be a case she wants it removed and that's it finished with. She might not even want reparation in damages so I wouldn't claim she's simply looking for money.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
Quote by ProgFripp74
I've not looked into the whole issue and whether she is seeking reparation in damages or she simply wants the video removed due to her feeling the video might be detrimental to her image or self respect etc so it could simply be a case she wants it removed and that's it finished with. She might not even want reparation in damages so I wouldn't claim she's simply looking for money.

She'd have to be pretty ignorant of youtube to try to get a video removed from it. The only thing this'd ensure is that she'll always be able to get at a backup. Even if they managed to prevent it ever being uploaded to youtube again it'd be everywhere else on the internet.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
She'd have to be pretty ignorant of youtube to try to get a video removed from it. The only thing this'd ensure is that she'll always be able to get at a backup. Even if they managed to prevent it ever being uploaded to youtube again it'd be everywhere else on the internet.

It's super easy to get videos removed
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
I'm going to get a lot of hate for this but idc. Of all the worlds major religions, Islam is easily the worst.
Quote by macashmack
I'm going to get a lot of hate for this but idc. Of all the worlds major religions, Islam is easily the worst.

They're all a burden to those of us that don't believe in talking plants and a supermagicalfairyland for dead people.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by macashmack

I don't think many non-Islamists would disagree with that.
North-African Muslims at least. Complete head cases.
Quote by macashmack

i'll chop ya hed 4 dat m8 u cheky ****.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Nelshizzle
i'll chop ya hed 4 dat m8 u cheky ****.

I believe those two were sentenced today. Gonna go catch up on the snooze.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Why should they remove it entirely? It can be settled with the filmmaker and not Google. Keep it up there and teach these nuts a lesson about freedom of speech.

Quote by macashmack

Joke's on you cuz your ass is getting fatwa'd!

Quote by SkepsisMetal

I don't think many non-Islamists would disagree with that.
North-African Muslims at least. Complete head cases.

Oh so it's the BLACK muslims that are bad, the whiter ones are okay huh?
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Feb 27, 2014,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Why should they remove it entirely? It can be settled with the filmmaker and not Google. Keep it up there and teach these nuts a lesson about freedom of speech.

Joke's on you cuz your ass is getting fatwa'd!

Oh so it's the BLACK muslims that are bad, the whiter ones are okay huh?

It's not the content en total the woman wants removed it's the use of her unapproved and adulterated performance she want's removed.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Blur her face. Put up a disclaimer distancing her from the production. Don't have the gov't of one of the most powerful countries in the world, the country that wants to spread 'democracy', look like they're taking down a silly video after outside pressure from a bunch of hooligans.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Blur her face. Put up a disclaimer distancing her from the production. Don't have the gov't of one of the most powerful countries in the world, the country that wants to spread 'democracy', look like they're taking down a silly video after outside pressure from a bunch of hooligans.

Her individual right not to be abused by some ass clown with an agenda comes first. That is still the biggest difference between us and the rest of the world.
Fuck appearances. She's right.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi