Looking for a new guitar amp, I'll mostly be playing heavier post rock and sludge, with a bit of drone thrown in. My current amp is laney vc15 and it's just not cutting it for this type of music, and I'd like to be pushing a bit more air.

Budget: as cheap as possible, but maybe around £200 if that's even possible

Happy to buy second hand, and go as vintage as necessary.

I already know about the Laney AOR, but I'm struggling to track one down at a decent price, I was wondering what alternatives there might be.

Thanks.
oh sorry, I knew I'd miss something out. I'm fine either way for combo or stack, I don't need pristine cleans, but I'd like to be able to go fairly clean. I will be gigging with a full band.
Quote by doubtfulsalmon
which particular models?

The Peavey VTM is the one in particular that will do what you want best.

I'd avoid the Laney AOR, I've heard nothing but bad things about their reliability and build quality.

EDIT: Do you have a cab, or do you need one? Is 200 the absolute maximum you can spend?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Feb 28, 2014,
The old Peavey Butcher (from the 1980's) will do it just fine.
laney AOR
Peavey VTM

With your budget it will be really hard to find any of these, but they are your best, cheapest solution. Can you save any more money at all?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks guys, been checking out the VTM and it looks good, just need to try and track one down.

I can probably save up a bit more if necessary, and if needs be buy a cab under a separate budget (I can just use a bass cab until then, which might be what I'm after anyway).
VTMs are solid amps. Soundgarden used them back in their early days I believe.

I would maybe suggest checking out a Sunn Beta Lead.
Last edited by iwannabesedated at Feb 28, 2014,