Hey everyone,

I recently uploaded my very first tab and have been working hard on my second one for the past few days and I am noticing that I am finding it very fun to tab out music by ear and have been getting really good at it super fast. I want to become a regular tabber for ultimate-guitar and am hoping to upload 1-2 tabs per month...Possibly more, depending on the difficulty of each song that I do...

I just want to see if anyone has contributed to the site and I would like to know what a lot of the pros can be to adding your work/tabs to the site on a regular basis.

Also would like to know the pros to contributing regularly as far as everything else goes, such as blogs, new threads, comments and stuff like that.

Looking forward to hearing the response!

Thanks,

ShackledDevil
I'm not really sure what answer you are looking for. We do not pay for content or anything like that. There might be a few site-related perks after some number of contributions, I forget.

It seems like you answered your own question, mostly. Tabbing and contributing is a great way to improve your craft, and to share your passion with other people who are also trying to learn. It's like blogging or playing in a band with friends - sharing and practicing are often rewarding in and of themselves.
Glad you enjoy doing it! It's a good hobby to have.

Quote by ShackledDevil
I want to become a regular tabber for ultimate-guitar and am hoping to upload 1-2 tabs per month...Possibly more, depending on the difficulty of each song that I do...
That's pretty much what I do now.
It's not exactly a pros and cons system, but in terms of becoming a frequent tabber, the more you do it, the better your ear for music becomes. Eventually, you have complete confidence in what you tab. It's a good feeling, believe me. Of course, there's also the good feeling of knowing you could help people out with your tab.

The site itself doesn't have a whole lot to offer other than UG points and such. If you tab a whole lot, you could be on the Top 100 lists. There's one for tabs, reviews, and contributions. Not to intimidate, but it takes a lot. I've been tabbing since the day I registered until now and still just a tad under the top 100's.

Also, with enough contributions (I believe 50 or more and an average rating of 4.0 or higher) you can become a Trusted Tabber such as myself. That pretty much just boils down to your vote in the TPA page being worth twice as much.

Just make accurate tabs and have fun doing it and you'll do alright.

Quote by ShackledDevil
Also would like to know the pros to contributing regularly as far as everything else goes, such as blogs, new threads, comments and stuff like that.
I wouldn't be able to help you there. That's not exactly a pros/cons system either. Just do it if you like it!
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Pros are:
Ad free UG
Tab Pro free access for some time if you submit X tabs
Correct me if these no longer apply

Other pros are developing yourself as a musician, you get good at figuring out songs and hearing details. Tabbing songs helps develop your songwriting/composing skills and makes you independently able to learn songs. This is really valuable and a great skill to have.

Cons: There are no cons other than this takes plenty of time and you should do it out of your own interest and you must want to do it. You won't get much feedback - ratings and comments are rare - maybe 1 in 1000 views, people won't remember your name, you won't get credits in a youtube cover who used your tab, there won't be anyone offering you a job.

You're doing this for free and what you get back is most in musical benefits and perhaps feeling good because you're helping people learn songs and they'll appreciate your work whether you hear about it or not. There isn't much else in it for you - so like said only do it if you like it.
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the great feedback! I was aware that getting paid for my work wasn't going to happen but I am still interested in tabbing frequently. I have already noticed a big change in my tabbing from my first tab to my second tab and I have noticed a lot of improvements in a lot of areas. I am looking forward to becoming a part of the UG community and contributing my hard work.

I am also looking really forward to helping people out. I am sure the more I practice this skill, the better I will become and the faster I will become! I believe you all that it is a great benefit and something to develop my songwriting/composing skills.

Thanks once again!

Hope to talk to you all soon,

ShackledDevil
Last edited by ShackledDevil at Feb 27, 2014,
Pro's in terms of the actual website? I dunno, I cant think of any.

I get a nice feeling when I see my tabs rated 5*, and I certainly try to strive to get perfection in all tabs I do now.
The majority of my tabs have 5* ratings, which backs that hunt for perfection up, so that's nice. That's the only real kick I get out of doing it from the ultimate-guitar perspective.

But really, I do it because I like doing it, and is a real good time killer. I wouldnt say it improves me as a player anymore, because I can do it without a guitar (I have tabbed many of my tabs without touching a guitar during the whole process )
Quote by sam b
I wouldnt say it improves me as a player anymore, because I can do it without a guitar (I have tabbed many of my tabs without touching a guitar during the whole process )
Really? You've got perfect pitch, is it called? That's pretty impressive. I don't even know the name of any note I play, or chords for that matter, so I have to have one when tabbing.

But you, on the other hand....

*tips fedora*
You've earned it!
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line