So I've got an Orange 212 cab that is 16 ohms and an Orange 412 cab that is also 16 ohms. I know I can safely connect each of them to the 8 ohm jack on the back of my amp.

The problem I see with that is that each cab will get the same amount of power and the 212 cab would be noticeably louder than the 412. It's what I've been doing but I was wondering about the link out on the back of the cabs.

If I link the 16 ohm 212 cab into the 16 ohm 412 cab will it still give 8 ohms? I'm just no ohm wizard and the thinking of 6 speakers linked together with 2 having different ohms scares me. I figured if this method was safe all 6 speakers would be pumping at a more even volume.

So safe or no?
It will work fine. It's a shame it's not an 8 ohm 212 because then you could rewire it to work perfectly but even still it will be fine. Both cabs are going to be receiving the same power so one won't actually drown out the other, the speakers in the 212 will just be working harder.

And yes, it will be 8 ohms total.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It will work fine. It's a shame it's not an 8 ohm 212 because then you could rewire it to work perfectly but even still it will be fine. Both cabs are going to be receiving the same power so one won't actually drown out the other, the speakers in the 212 will just be working harder.

And yes, it will be 8 ohms total.

thank you kind sir for that thorough explanation.

Just curious. If it was an 8 ohm cab how could I wire it up to work?
I am a big fan of the 6x12 and is what I used for many, many years. Here's how I did it.
A 212 cab at 16 ohms means it has two 8 ohm speakers in series. If it was an 8 ohm 212 it would be two 16 ohm speakers in parallel. So if you wire the two speakers up in series you get 32 ohms. That results in a total of 10 ohms when paralelled up with a 16 ohm 412, which will work fine into the 8 ohm output on the amp. But what it means though is that every speaker is receiving exactly the same amount of power.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification