Page 1 of 2
Im going nuts trying to find the perfect tube amp. And ive got to get it right the first time cuz its gonna take a while to save up all the money ill need. Im trying to play modern american metal. I want it to be super tight with loads of gain with great crunch when chugging. Good cleans, versatile, and also some nice midrange/highs.

Some good sounds im looking for are, dreamshade (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-dgzwXrDro), judas priest, very much the recent trivium, five finger, miss may i, that sort of stuff

Im looking at a 50w probobly, and i would really love a built in attenuator. Ive looked at the orange dual dark 50, evh 5150iii, peavey 6505+, mesa dual/triple rect, blackstar series one 100, engl powerball 2, theres so many idk what to do and i cant really rely on youtube videos. I really liked the orange tiny terror when i tried it out, blew me away actually, so i was really looking at the dual dark, but all the other ones look great too. No clue what to do. Any help?
Very happy with my 6505+, if you don't need much clean, I'd go for that -based on price as well. It really cuts through live, better than anything I've tried.
The 5150iii is getting some pretty rave reviews in the metal community. The 50 watter especialy. Seen quite a few 5150 6505 rigs sold for em around these parts.

But all those will do you good. You'll want to make sure you want that recto tone though before you get one. It's not for everyone.
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 27, 2014,
The 5150III has the best range IMO. I liked every channel equally. The ENGL cleans are a little lack-luster from owning one.

You might want to consider a Laney Ironheart as well.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
The 5150iii doesnt sound thin in person right? i saw some youtube videos and it seemed very midrange focused (which i like) but like zero bass and it didnt sound so hot
It depends on how you EQ it and what cab you run it through, but yes it can sound quite big and meaty.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Definitely Peavey 5150 II or 6505+.

I wouldn't go 5150 III unless you're going to get the big 100W one.

Don't forget that you'll need a good tubescreamer in front, something like either a Way Huge Green Rhino or a Hardwire CM-2.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
My only complaint is I do a lot of bedroom playing and I want the amp to still sound good at the lower volumes, which is why I liked the attenuators options on some like the orange dual dark
Quote by Eppicurt

You might want to consider a Laney Ironheart as well.

This laney IRT60H is really intriguing me
Quote by TYSHADOWS
This laney IRT60H is really intriguing me

In the same price range as the Ironheart, check out the Randall Diavlo RD45H. Both are good for the price.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Quote by Blackfire.
In the same price range as the Ironheart, check out the Randall Diavlo RD45H. Both are good for the price.

That sounds pretty sick too. Both of em seem nice. The prices seem even better Do you know if the diavlo has a attenuator?
Quote by TYSHADOWS
That sounds pretty sick too. Both of em seem nice. The prices seem even better Do you know if the diavlo has a attenuator?

It doesn't have one, but you really don't need it.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Or you could go for an American made Randall and grab an RM100. Load it up with the metal modules of your choice.
And if you want less power (why you'd want less power in a metal amp escapes me though), you can run an RM100 on two 6V6's if you like. That'd be about 20W. You can run anything in an RM100.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Feb 28, 2014,
Quote by TYSHADOWS
I just want to make sure it sounds good at bedroom volume too

Both those amps will sound good in your bedroom. Use an overdrive pedal to boost it, with the gain on the pedal at zero. No distortion pedals.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Maybe i should go back to the 6505+ head, cheap and ive read good at low volumes. only problem ive seen is bad resale on peaveys but only heard good things about the 6505+
Quote by TYSHADOWS
Maybe i should go back to the 6505+ head, cheap and ive read good at low volumes. only problem ive seen is bad resale on peaveys but only heard good things about the 6505+

Only thing about them is that the cleans on it are horrible. It's mainly a one trick pony, high gain and thats it.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Quote by Blackfire.
Only thing about them is that the cleans on it are horrible. It's mainly a one trick pony, high gain and thats it.

Would a chorus pedal clean it up? And I have a ss envoy110 now so prob still better than that
Last edited by TYSHADOWS at Feb 28, 2014,
Quote by TYSHADOWS
Would a chorus pedal clean it up?

That's what a lot of people use to try and clean it up. But it can't replace a clean channel, its like a band-aid that doesn't work well.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
A good neck pickup help too i find. I dont really use a chorus pedal on my 5150ii just straight EQing and a good neck and you get a decent clean.

But then again if your buying a 5150/6505, who needs cleans ay
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by Blackfire.
That's what a lot of people use to try and clean it up. But it can't replace a clean channel, its like a band-aid that doesn't work well.

Prob will sound better than my ss peavey envoy 110, just because its tube
Also got a good deal on an orange tiny terror, could always a/b switch that if im really desperate, may b cool. American crunch British cleans
6505/5150 would be great, for most metal applications the clean channel is fine, though I prefer to use it as a crunch channel and switch between that and the lead for my rhythm and solo sounds.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
6505/5150 would be great, for most metal applications the clean channel is fine, though I prefer to use it as a crunch channel and switch between that and the lead for my rhythm and solo sounds.

That's probobly what I'll do, it's the most realistic price wise at least. May only cost me 1500 for the head and a 2x12 mesa cab. Which is sounding real good to me right now.
You can also swap the 12ax7 in the clean channel for lower gain tube, check this:
http://www.thetubestore.com/Gain-Factor

Not an expensive swap but it'll probably fix that problem on the cleans. I wouldn't buy that amp for cleans but it is a great high gain amp.
Quote by diabolical
You can also swap the 12ax7 in the clean channel for lower gain tube, check this:
http://www.thetubestore.com/Gain-Factor

Not an expensive swap but it'll probably fix that problem on the cleans. I wouldn't buy that amp for cleans but it is a great high gain amp.

Would that knock down the gain quality? Or do half and half to even it out?
Quote by TYSHADOWS
Would that knock down the gain quality? Or do half and half to even it out?

Some tubes are delegated to the dirt and some to the clean, changing the latter won't affect the preamp gain on the former. Not like it would hurt to reduce gain on the lead channel, it is not very useable past 1 O'clock
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Some tubes are delegated to the dirt and some to the clean, changing the latter won't affect the preamp gain on the former. Not like it would hurt to reduce gain on the lead channel, it is not very useable past 1 O'clock

How do I know which are which? And would decreasing the gain make it more versatile? Sorta a crunch that can still get the crazy gain 6505s are known and loved for? And how would I do that? And for the cleans what would I change em to?
Hint: There are no perfect amps and they all got warts. Mesa, 5150, Marshall, Blackstar, Orange will all get you in the game. The rest is up to you.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Hint: There are no perfect amps and they all got warts. Mesa, 5150, Marshall, Blackstar, Orange will all get you in the game. The rest is up to you.

Thanks
I think I've settled on the evh 5150iii 50w just cuz I think it can do all I want and I don't need 120w and it seems more versatile. Thanks everone
Considering 2nd hand prices on the 6505 I think that is your best bet.

The EVH III is made by Fender in Mexico so won't really bet on reliability. The first release of it blew up constantly. Just a fact I'd like to mention.

The clean on the 6505 is not bad, it is really a crunch, so with a tube swap you can get it there or you might actually like it the way it is, think of it like a hairy blues tone, maybe Bob Seger kind of sound.

Has anyone suggested a JSX?
Quote by diabolical

The EVH III is made by Fender in Mexico so won't really bet on reliability. The first release of it blew up constantly. Just a fact I'd like to mention.

anything backing that up? I see dozens of them around here being gigged regularly and no one has ever had an issue.

please no i heard it from a friend from a friend who read it on the internet. Tech Speak please. What exactly goes wrong?
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 28, 2014,
Quote by diabolical

Based on what? It's not like everything MIA is going to be fail-proof anyway...I've never heard of them being that unreliable.

TS, I agree that the 5150III mini is surprisingly good. I thoroughly enjoyed it when I played through it, I doubt you'll be disappointed.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
The first ones they rolled out, it blew power transformers like crazy, kinda like the Bugera. They had to pull them out of production. That was the reason I didn't get one when they first came out as I was looking for new amp at the time.

Instead went for used JCM900 with overdrive in front.

The issue might be fixed but I do remember reading quite a few complaints after the amp came on the market.
Last edited by diabolical at Feb 28, 2014,
Knowing Fender they probably have fixed it, they're QC is actually very decent. A lot of their amps are Mexican made and don't often have issues.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Randall has just released a new tube amp specifically designed for the heavy stuff - the Thrasher. It has received some very good pre-release reviews, so it might be worth a look:

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Blackfire.

I think the cleans are more than usable.

I made this video demoing my old 6505's cleans with 3 different guitars.

Playing starts at 2:09

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CczyAjH0WNo
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Page 1 of 2