Hi, new user here. The rules say not to submit any copyrighted material, but isn't almost everything on here copyrighted? Any song by a signed band is copyrighted, so I don't understand what can be submitted except for original songs. I had a similar question on a ukulele site that won't print lyrics. They say that printing lyrics would infringe, but my questions is that it's all one work of art, so wouldn't showing what chords are being used also infringe? Any information on this would be greatly appreciated!
Quote by DarkAges1
Hi, new user here. The rules say not to submit any copyrighted material, but isn't almost everything on here copyrighted? Any song by a signed band is copyrighted, so I don't understand what can be submitted except for original songs.
I think you're a little confused. The fact that the song itself is copyrighted just means that the band owns the song. It's not like your saying you own the song by submitting a tab for it.

I think it's mostly referring to things such as tab books. That stuff is copyrighted. Normally this would be a big deal, but UG pays for a license which states any and all tabs submitted to UG are 100% ear transcribed by the user, so it's perfectly legal. Most bands (not all) are alright with that since it's not right off the tab book. If they aren't, then UG takes it off the site. Easy as that.

I had a similar question on a ukulele site that won't print lyrics. They say that printing lyrics would infringe, but my questions is that it's all one work of art, so wouldn't showing what chords are being used also infringe? Any information on this would be greatly appreciated!
I don't really understand that, but I can't exactly speak on behalf of another site. If I had to guess, I would say it's similar to the license I just mentioned. A lot of bands don't have tab books to go off of, so people make their own. Only except lyrics don't work like that since the chances are they're 100% correct. I can see bands being a little more pickier with that, so the site probably said that for that purpose.

I'm no expert on copyrights or anything though, so feel free to not believe any of this.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Feb 28, 2014,
All our tabs are copyrighted, because we paid royalties to music publisher.

You can printing all our tabs for personal (non-commercial) use.

Read more about copyrighted on UG in Terms Of Service.

------------------------

If a third-party site provides tabs (including ukulele) without a license from music publisher, then someday it will be closed.
Last edited by Ximich at Feb 28, 2014,