Hi everybody!

When I went to see Ed Sheeran, he has no band and uses only his Little Martin, a Boss RC-30 and two microphones to create fairly intricate and sometimes extremely textually dense tracks for him to sing over the top of. I know he's not the only one, but he's the one I've seen live so I'm using him as a reference point.

I was wondering if it's possible to create non-guitar-like sounding percussion with an electric guitar instead of an acoustic. I'm a bit strapped for cash at the moment so this is for like making a list of things to aim for. I know the first thing I'd need is the loop pedal, but I was wondering if any other pedals like pitch shifters or fuzz pedals or something would help to morph the sound into more believable percussion sounds.

The main thing that I have gathered that gives acoustic guitar a big advantage over electric for these purposes is the presence of a piezo pickup in the bridge which is more like a contact mic than a regular pickup, which only picks up the vibrations of the strings. He was able to generate some seriously booming bass just by slapping the bridge.

Would some sort of contact mic or piezo pickup be useful for this and if so, how would I go about installing one to my Stratocaster (my only guitar)?

Or if I'm mad and you don't think this plan could ever work, just say it also. Thanks again, UG Community!
detune it of use your wahmmy bar if you have one and slap the stings into the pickups, just listen to any of Tom Morello's really out there solos like this beauty. you might need a delay pedal, it's definitly possible but a contact mic might be a better bet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5V1Wv5yT9Y go to 3:20
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Yeah man that's sweet! I love Tom Morello's guitar playing so yeah thanks for that I suppose I will look at some more of his stuff.
Wow though that guy is super good lol. But yeah it seems like acoustic is definitely more suited to this kind of playing style though.
Check out Rodrigo y Gabriela.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-qgum7hFXk

This is a specific style of music (they've even done Stairway to Heaven with it). Doing this on an acoustic is obviously easier because you've got the makings of a acoustic percussion instrument in your hands already.

I think putting something like a small set of hand electronic drum pads on the guitar will get you where you need to go, though.
People use acoustic guitars because the body is in essence not that much different from a drum kit piece. A box to create the amplification, and instead of a skin like on drums you have the top piece of the guitar under tension as the same concept.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Yeah thanks heaps for the replies, guys! If I do know one thing, it's that I need to practice my multi-tasking while playing guitar haha