Hey guys!

So I already own a Peavey Classic 4x10 which I fixed up and make it sound like a monster. However, I have the chance to pick up a B52 at100 for about $150. It needs new tubes and possibly a little cosmetic work, but I am experienced in both of those areas.

I guess my question is, is it worth it? I love playing brutal technical metal, and my 4x10 doesn't cut it. So is this amp worth a venture?
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
These sound these amps give is totally worth the money, especially at $150. They do have questionable reliability however. But the tone is good! It is also a very noisy amp due to it having a fan running at the that keeps it cooler.

Not much more I can say about them though. Just look into the reliability thing.
for 150 id grab that in a heartbeat. they are decent amps. good tone and if taken care of they can last for a while.

give it a good once over. when i had mine the little reverb transformer was blown out. a quick stop to the tech for that and a retube ran me just under 200 bucks.

a word to the wise:
they are notorious for running very hot. like heat hot. some people have complained of problems due to the heat. i didnt notice anything
be careful of the tube rectification. mine never seemed to work right. it went through tubes like a fat kid eats cake. stick to the solid state reco mode

but for 150 what do u have to loose. thats pretty cheap. but i will say you could save your cash and pick up one of the following that would last u forever and a day
peavey
3120/xxx/ultra
5150/6505
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by iheartgun
for 150 id grab that in a heartbeat. they are decent amps. good tone and if taken care of they can last for a while.

give it a good once over. when i had mine the little reverb transformer was blown out. a quick stop to the tech for that and a retube ran me just under 200 bucks.

a word to the wise:
they are notorious for running very hot. like heat hot. some people have complained of problems due to the heat. i didnt notice anything
be careful of the tube rectification. mine never seemed to work right. it went through tubes like a fat kid eats cake. stick to the solid state reco mode

but for 150 what do u have to loose. thats pretty cheap. but i will say you could save your cash and pick up one of the following that would last u forever and a day
peavey
3120/xxx/ultra
5150/6505

Basically this. They run hot, some worse than others. A good fan and leaving the back off helps a ton, but they still have the potential to overheat. The combo was worse than the head.

That being said, they do a pretty good Recto impression. I like the sound out of mine, it's treated me well and doesn't get as ridiculously hot as many have reported. Unbeatable for the money.

The big question is are you going to be upset if it blows one day? I got mine as a part of a trade, I have less in it that the tubes cost. If you are fine with the possibility of it maybe breaking down and being out $150, then go for it by all means, you'll enjoy the sound.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
The generation 1 B-52s were the ones that overheated. Generation 2 changed the design and added a fan to fix the problem.
Quote by CarbonDeath
Hey guys!

So I already own a Peavey Classic 4x10 which I fixed up and make it sound like a monster. However, I have the chance to pick up a B52 at100 for about $150. It needs new tubes and possibly a little cosmetic work, but I am experienced in both of those areas.

I guess my question is, is it worth it? I love playing brutal technical metal, and my 4x10 doesn't cut it. So is this amp worth a venture?
Hi I haankve a problem bought a b52 stealth sounds like crud if i swap out the preamp tubes would it get lower end i dont want to give up on the amp i changed two power tubes with the classic ones as in old what do you suggest i was hoping a tube swap would work or should i throw it off a bridge thanks
Quote by CarbonDeath
Hey guys!

hi i called dougs tubes in newyork b52 amp like ruby preamp tubes low bottom end etc i have the sovteks and they are total garbage with that amp good luck use a ax7ec5hgplus closest to the input the rest use 1hgplus thats why my stealth sounds like garbage the sovteks rubys will rock the thing
Make a new thread, this one's old. Try to spell and punctuate so we can understand you.