So recently (a couple of years ago) I bought my first V guitar - an LTD V-200 - and since then I have been unable to use any other body shape besides these badboys. So now I'm thinking it's time for an upgrade but I really have no idea what V would be worth it.

I've heard that some of the Rhoads guitars are good, also heard the same about the Alexi V. Ideally, I'd like like it to have a Floyd Rose but that's not 100% necessary.

If anyone could help me out here with some recommendations I'd really appreciate it
I was actually going to recommend an Alexi-600, I used to have one. It's a great guitar but I grew out of the V shape, and the Floyd haha. Otherwise I'd highly recommend it, just look for a used one, they don't resell for much from what I've seen.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
My '86 Jackson Rhoads is awesome, I love it. Thinking about getting a Schecter Hellraiser V at some point, but for now the RR serves all my V needs. A great guitar.
For a different take on the RR design, check out the Washburn WV40 'Vindicator'. It was a part of their 'HM' series from a few years ago and now discontinued, but they seem to sell for VERY reasonable prices.

In fact, I picked one up for around $200 when they went on clearance a couple years ago. It's got a Phenolic resin fretboard, Buzz Feitin tuning, all name-brand hardware, etc, etc. It's a great guitar that easily compares to anything at 3 or 4X the price!

*I swapped out the pickups for Rockfield's. The stock Randall p'ups were too dark for my taste.
Last edited by sinofian at Feb 28, 2014,
Two questions: "What kind of buck are you assaying 'bang' for?": and "What do you like in a (V) guitar?"

Carvin makes a killer V (http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/ultrav ) that features neck-through construction, an asymmetrical body and a HUGE array of options. You can even choose from a variety of headstock types. It starts at $899 and goes up from there (depending on what options you choose), has great access to all 24 frets, can be had with a Floyd (or Wilkie type trem) and a variety of fret, fretboard material fretboard radius and other options.

They USED to have a asymmetrical V with a less aggro "pointy" look back in the late '80's: and my '80's V220 is based on that (take V, add horns...) . The long horn isn't pointy, by the way -- that's just the fur of the case giving that impression <G>.

Rondo Music has some Agile and other V-type guitars (I haven't seen one in person yet).

I went through a couple of V-style guitars and settled in on a neck-through hippie sandwich Moonstone V (symmetrical) with a very '70's feel. Brazilian rosewood fretboard, 24 frets, solid brass Fender-style trem, brass nut, gold hardware, that whole thing. It originally came with Invaders but I swapped those out years ago for Tom Andersons.
Last edited by dspellman at Feb 28, 2014,
Quote by RCA1186
I was actually going to recommend an Alexi-600, I used to have one. It's a great guitar but I grew out of the V shape, and the Floyd haha. Otherwise I'd highly recommend it, just look for a used one, they don't resell for much from what I've seen.

That's what I mainly had my eyes on, I wanted to go for the white one, how did it sound/feel? Also how relatively thick was the neck? I'm keeping an eye out for a used one, I know where to get brand new ones but they seem to cost a lot, how much did you get/sell yours for?
Too bad ESP doesn't offer any LTD regular V shaped guitars with a Floyd anymore. You have to find them used if you can.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
You might take a look at this...

http://www.rondomusic.com/reaperbc.html

Sort of "Beast Bang for the Buck."

Mahogany body, neck. Ebony fretboard, Jumbo frets, yada yada.
EMG 81/85, Floyd Rose FRT-S2000.

$649? Seriously?

Seems like a no-brainer.

Not the best choice for church on Sundays. Don't leave it alone around women and children. I wonder if it'll do metal.
Last edited by dspellman at Feb 28, 2014,
Quote by dspellman
You might take a look at this...

http://www.rondomusic.com/reaperbc.html

Sort of "Beast Bang for the Buck."

Mahogany body, neck. Ebony fretboard, Jumbo frets, yada yada.
EMG 81/85, Floyd Rose FRT-S2000.

$649? Seriously?

Seems like a no-brainer.

Not the best choice for church on Sundays. Don't leave it alone around women and children. I wonder if it'll do metal.

For that price you can order a semi-custom Agile, I like the Hornet shape better. Plus it has the option of a Kahler which I have been digging a lot lately on one of my axes.

http://www.rondomusic.com/customhornetaug2014.html
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Last edited by Blackfire. at Feb 28, 2014,
Quote by sinofian
For a different take on the RR design, check out the Washburn WV40 'Vindicator'. It was a part of their 'HM' series from a few years ago and now discontinued, but they seem to sell for VERY reasonable prices.

In fact, I picked one up for around $200 when they went on clearance a couple years ago. It's got a Phenolic resin fretboard, Buzz Feitin tuning, all name-brand hardware, etc, etc. It's a great guitar that easily compares to anything at 3 or 4X the price!

*I swapped out the pickups for Rockfield's. The stock Randall p'ups were too dark for my taste.

I have been looking for one of these for a while. You can nab one in used market for quite cheap. I've seen a couple but I did not have money then and I think they were with Floyds too which is a deal killer for me. I think that that shape looks sweet. Very similar to Silenoz's signature LTD.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
My very first V was in the 70s a Jap copy of a Gibson, still have it. Only recently discovered Explorers and I now realise that I should have tried one years ago. So before you go do a new V try an Explorer.

Cheer's
I love V's! By the way I would use this tread to show one of my axes of.
It is all custom made, from scratch. James Hetfield early 80 white V tribute.

Quote by Jock68
My very first V was in the 70s a Jap copy of a Gibson, still have it. Only recently discovered Explorers and I now realise that I should have tried one years ago. So before you go do a new V try an Explorer.

Cheer's

If you look at Explorers try a Jackson Kelly too - very comfy.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
If you look at Explorers try a Jackson Kelly too - very comfy.

I've heard a lot of people complaining about the neck falling down while playing a Kelly, because the guitar is heavier on that side.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dspellman
Actually, I think that IS a custom that was ordered by someone else <G>.

It does say custom on the page. It looks like they are making it into a regular model to sell also. Been considering a semi Hornet. I wish they would update the section on where you choose your options though. It just says Floyd Rose and Kahler in the drop down when you choose it. It should say what model Floyd and which Kahler they are using.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
I was looking at a new Gibson V last year and it was just under $1200 here in Canada. Looked pretty decent.
Moving on.....
Quote by Blackfire.
It does say custom on the page. It looks like they are making it into a regular model to sell also. Been considering a semi Hornet. I wish they would update the section on where you choose your options though. It just says Floyd Rose and Kahler in the drop down when you choose it. It should say what model Floyd and which Kahler they are using.

Kurt will probably give you that information if you email him. Floyd has been changing the names it assigns to the various trems and both Kahler and Floyd will change models if you start going beyond six strings (there's actually an 8-string 27" scale AL now, for example).

Some years back,when I ordered my semi-custom, the Floyd was a "licensed" Floyd that turned out to be from exactly the same Korean production line as the "original" Floyd that was on the Axcess Custom that arrived the same day. We had to pull all of the hardware to make other modifications on both guitars and found exactly the same tooling marks on both trems. Only the engraving on the base plates was different. I eventually replaced both with German Schaller OFRs (color change on one guitar, perversity on the other), but I'd have no qualms about using either of the Korean versions.
The Jackson RRXMG looks cool, and it has Floyd Rose Special + EMG 81 and 85
Quote by Durpee
The Jackson RRXMG looks cool, and it has Floyd Rose Special + EMG 81 and 85

Get your Aqua-Net out: the 80s are BACK!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
The two Carvin Vs that I have owned were the best deals ever, 300 bucks for one, 500 for the other. There's one on ebay right now with a Floyd Rose that someone put EMGs in for 860 shipped. Even at that it's still a fantastic deal.
there weren't a ton of them made, but before dime went back to Dean, Washburn relased some Dime V's. they got clearanced out dirt cheap. i think i paid $300, and it had a dimebucker/'59, grover machine heads. nice guitar.

but it was definitly a nice guitar. kinda wish i wouldn't of sold it, but a have a Washburn 333 model or something from the early 2000's.

but the Dime V's (at least the one i got) was pretty high quality.

i wouldn't spend more than $500 for sure (have no idea on price)

the only v i own is a Gibson Gothic (the gothic from around 2001 or so) mint $500 and i got him down to get it with OHSC for $380. pure luck, maybe an idiot. bit its nice.

you can find faded ones for $500-600 easily.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Get your Aqua-Net out: the 80s are BACK!

80s was never out of style! Except mullets. But then one might argue if mullets were ever in style.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3