Hey guys. I just joined UG to ask a few guitar-related questions.
My first question is about selling tabs. Say, for instance, if I arrange a popular song for solo instrumental guitar, is it legal for me to sell the tab of my particular arrangement of that song? I've been searching around and can't seem to find a definitive answer. Any info or advice welcome. Cheers guys. -Fenlon
I would say no, too. If you didn't write the song originally and the composer hasn't contracted you to tab it out, pretty sure it could be considered copyright infringement if you profit off of it. There's a lot of controversy (mostly labels grumbling) about even posting your tabs for free on a site like this one.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
If you're going to charge money for tabs you gonna get sued by the publishers
unless you get their permission, like with guitar magazine transcriptions and such
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Well if you're gonna advertise selling tabs here, you'll probably get banned. I have seen the odd thread in Tab Talk though where someone's offering to pay for a transcription and that people have taken them up on it (it's tiny sums like $5-20) - but probably even that isn't allowed. If you wanna make money off of tabbing, your best bet is to contact companies who publish books or ask for a job at a paytab site who are licensed.
Who's going to pay anyway? You can get tabs for most stuff on-line and with GP6 and similar you can see all the arrangements too. Regardless, of course it's illegal to make money out of someone else's copyrighted work.
Last edited by PSimonR at Feb 28, 2014,
Quote by PSimonR
Who's going to pay anyway? You can get tabs for most stuff on-line and with GP6 and similar you can see all the arrangements too. Regardless, of course it's illegal to make money out of someone else's copyrighted work.
Actually, you're wrong to think there wouldn't be a market for it. People can get pretty desperate when they can't find a tab they want. And that happens a lot. Just look at all the requsts made here.

As far as your scenario goes, TS: Since it's your interpretation, it's okay to share it, but when you charge for it, that counts as commercial use, and, unless you've paid for a license from the publisher, that is illegal.

If you meant sell here on UG, then you can forget about that.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line