Hi, I want to buy a little, but interresting, amp to play in my appartement. I don't know what
Is best between - Line 6 Spider IV 30W, Roland Cube 30X, Vox Valvetronix ad30 and a
Fender Frontman 25R. Any opinion?
Last edited by bizzybujo at Feb 28, 2014,
I would probably avoid the Line 6. generally way too digital sounding. The Vox actually has a tube, so if you want modeling, get that. Are you using your own effects? Probably the Fender. Don't have experience with the Roland, but people seem to like them. What kind of music, primarily?
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I like how the Valvetronix sounded when I tried it...didn't play it very loud though. I've heard good things about the Cube but, never tried one out. I owned a Spider 4 half stack and I liked it at quieter volumes. At loud volumes though, it sounded very digital, like ryanbwags said.

Other people will recommend a Peavey Vyper. They seem to have a good reputation...

Edit- My buddy had a Frontman it sounded very good. Great for pedals. The distortion/gain sounded pretty good for a Fender.
Last edited by Dimarzio45 at Feb 28, 2014,
I play Indy, folk, rock (I really like the British sound..)
Like I said, it's only an appartement amp that I'm looking for.
Something that allowed me to have a lot of fun. I don't have any
effect yet. Usually, I play acoustic but the electric sound miss me
Thank's for the comments !
Quote by bizzybujo
I play Indy, folk, rock (I really like the British sound..)
Like I said, it's only an appartement amp that I'm looking for.
Something that allowed me to have a lot of fun. I don't have any
effect yet. Usually, I play acoustic but the electric sound miss me
Thank's for the comments !

Get the Vox, then. Mic it up if you decide to play shows later.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by ryanbwags
Get the Vox, then. Mic it up if you decide to play shows later.

Agreed. Plus, there are lots of effects that will be available to you.
Thank's guys! I already had a crush for the Vox because of the lamp, but I was confused by the other amp because they all have effects (exept the Fender) and I've found them at the same price (exept the Fender is cheaper)
Define the music you play first, then choose the right tool for the job. My brief impressions:

Metal- Blackstar, Vypyr

Classic rock/jazz/surf- Fender Super Champ XD, Cube 30, Vox Valvetronix in that order

Amps that hurt my ears: Spider, Fender Frontman
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Feb 28, 2014,
I usually recommend the Vypyr for this application, but the Vox would suit a bit better I think, a Fender Mustang would also be great.

The tube in the Vox is really just a gimmick though, just saying. Most "hybrid" amps nowadays are. Not really a positive or negative statement here, just FYI
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Ive tried all of those amps and even own(ed) a couple and imo the vox definitely sticks out from the rest. I could see, if you wanna use pedals, taking the frontman over the vox but as far as plug and play the vt series has great tone for your $. Sure the tube is a gimmick, but it still sounds better than most similar amps imo.

Also check out the lil Yamaha THR amps.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
probably the vox, yeah
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Really like the Vox, wish I had one for small quiet times when I'm not blasting my other amps. Like at 3 in the morning so I don't need to play my valves.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Dimarzio45
Edit- My buddy had a Frontman it sounded very good. Great for pedals. The distortion/gain sounded pretty good for a Fender.

My experience with the Frontman (15R) was the exact opposite; the gain channel had horrible bass feedback and it wasn't good for anything but cleans. I use it as a drum monitor now.

My favorite small amp that takes pedals well is the Valve Jr (even though I've moved on to an Orange Tiny Terror combo) but of the ones you listed, I like stuff from Vox and Roland. Depends on what kind of music you're playing, I'd say.
I had a Vox Vt30 for a while and it's a surprisingly good amp for a modeler. I say go for it, it should serve you well for quite some time
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
Quote by CarsonStevens
My experience with the Frontman (15R) was the exact opposite; the gain channel had horrible bass feedback and it wasn't good for anything but cleans. I use it as a drum monitor now.

My favorite small amp that takes pedals well is the Valve Jr (even though I've moved on to an Orange Tiny Terror combo) but of the ones you listed, I like stuff from Vox and Roland. Depends on what kind of music you're playing, I'd say.

Yeah, I said it sounded good as far as Fender distortions go. Because most of us know Fender never had a lot of noteworthy distortions. It was always about those cleans, baby!
Quote by Dimarzio45
Yeah, I said it sounded good as far as Fender distortions go. Because most of us know Fender never had a lot of noteworthy distortions. It was always about those cleans, baby!

What? You think a Frontman is the highlight of distortion from Fender, or even makes the list? Take any of your favorite tube Fenders and crank them... That's Fender 'distortion.' Many noteworthy distorted sounds were recorded with Fenders.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!