Looking some advice on suggestions for best lower-priced brands/models for a pure newbie to begin on - something that's easy to play / learn on? Hoping to find something used, so would welcome suggestions on some of the more popular well-known models that might be out there? Thanks.
Last edited by jargey3000 at Feb 28, 2014,
don't get anything made by Epiphone that is bolt-on. Pretty much anything else by Ibanez, Epiphone, Squire are all okay - including the Yamaha Pacificas suggested above. If you are into heavier music do yourself a favor and get something with humbuckers to start with.
I agree about Ibanez, and that includes their acoustic or acoustic/electrics as well.

I visit Pawn shops regularly.
They want to move their merchandise, so you should be able to actually play their guitars.
BUT make sure you check out prices on the web: some pawn shops are not very diligent about pricing!
As long as you don't buy a really cheap epiphone or squire, they're not particularly good, the epiphone's in particular.

I suggest stretching your budget slightly if you can, see if you can find an ibanez sz model, I have a 720 and I still use it live albeit with some different p'ups. They don't make them anymore sadly but if you can find a good one secondhand I'd say go for it, very versitile.

Pacifica's are also quite good, tone wise not brilliant but with a humbucker and two single coils you can get a wide variety of sounds.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
...how will I recognize an Epiphone that is "bolt on"? What does that even mean???
Quote by jargey3000
...how will I recognize an Epiphone that is "bolt on"? What does that even mean???

It means that neck is connected to the body with screws. Set-in means it's glued into the body. Neck-through means the neck is a bigger part of wood that goes through the body of the guitar.