Hey, guys. I'm about to buy my first head amp. I've never really put together a gig rig before and I'm looking at two in particular that are pretty cheap and have decent reviews.

One is a Kustom KG100HFX and the other is a
Behringer VT100FXH Virtube. Both are digital and 100W, less than 200 dollars. Any tech savvy players know if either of these would be any good?
Do you have a cabinet to pair it with? If not, you will have to buy one, and that will come around to about $400 total.
My Gear:
Fender Classic 50s Strat
Gibson Les Paul Studio
1977 Marshall JMP 2104
1995 Marshall 1959SLP
Silvertone 1481
Yamaha RA-200
i love heads and cabs, but are you wise buying cheapo heads? normally a decent or good combo is a better idea than a mediocre (or worse) head and cab setup.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I plan on buying a cabinet after I grab the head. I have a 4x12 from a friend but I'll probably get something better soon. And I don't know, am I wise? That's kind of what I'm asking. I'm running on a budget and really just need to make sure my guitar is heard. I don't need anything too fancy or high quality for the music I'll be playing on it.
Does it need to be modeler with effects? If not then put a little bit more and get this:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--RANRG1003H

This amp is actually very good and will serve you for long time. If you get a cab with 4ohm load (required for SS amp to output its full power) you will be heard loud and clear.

Regarding Behringer I presume its has same modeling as their V-Amp multifx units, which are more or less on par with old Line6 Pods. However if you need to gig with one I would not risk it. Home playing is fine but I would not risk using Behringer live. Reliability is a big concern with their products. *edit* Oh wait, that amp was not a modeling amp. Just comes with digital FX, just like the Kustom.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Mar 1, 2014,
100W isn't double as loud as 50W keep in mind. 100W might be overkill when 50W or even 30W could be loud enough. With that in mind I would maybe look at a combo tube amp, they sound soooo much better IMO than SS amps, and you can get a decent one for the price of a cheap head + cab.
Quote by chrisyoonyoon
where i'm from it's very different with emotionships
Jet City combo is what I'd recommend without knowing what you play.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Cing Krimson
100W isn't double as loud as 50W keep in mind. 100W might be overkill when 50W or even 30W could be loud enough. With that in mind I would maybe look at a combo tube amp, they sound soooo much better IMO than SS amps, and you can get a decent one for the price of a cheap head + cab.

Yeah but with SS amps the clean headroom is really important. You do not want to SS power amp to distort at all, it sounds ugly.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
If you're set on a SS amp, then that RG is a good choice for your price range. Really tho, you can go lower wattage if you go tube. 30-50watts is perfectly acceptable to jam and gig with. You can go even lower depending on the amp and style of music you play (which you should tell us). Tube amps have power sections that kill those cheap SS amps, regardless of wattage.
What type of music?
location?

With out knowing this it is hard to say what amp would be best for you. You can get a used Jet City JCA20h for <$200 used and they will do most styles up to hard-rock
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Mostly pop-punk, a bit of lighter post-hardcore. I play a Whibley Signature Stratocaster and plan on playing small venues/bars, nothing too big, but at the same time needs to be loud enough to be heard in a crowded room.
Jet City combo.
I used to gig one before I bought my Orange. Did the job very well and was plenty loud, especially if you don't need cleans.
[404]Signature not found
JCA20h and snag a used Avatar 2x12. I used to do full band jams with mine all the time. If you don't need to worry about super clean cleans it'll be plenty loud
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Your budget is super tight to get anything good.

You can get a used Egnater Tweaker 15 combo for like $300. That's pretty much the cheapest thing I know of that is both a good amp and has a great speaker in it already.

You will be mic'd up when you play out, right?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X