Well I say beginner I've been playing on and off (mostly off) for a couple of years.

I have 3 issues.

1. Cramp. When using a plectrum - I mostly do as I'm not quick enough to play along with songs using my fingers. I hold the plectrum inbetween my thumb and index finger, but sometimes with my middle finger also for extra support (I have tremors in my hands so it makes keeping hold of my pick a little bit more difficult!) However within about 3 songs I have the most terrible cramp! Is there a better way of holding the plectrum so I don't get cramp. Or is it a matter of more practice?

2. When doing downstrokes my index finger catches the string before the pick and after practice I have a scraped, painful and bent in nail. So same question as above.

3. Might be a silly question, but is there a way to lessen the sound of the pick hitting the string?
1.What pick are you using? If you're using the the standard size pick you might want to go up a size to the triangle shaped pick.

2.A larger pick and moving the index further up the pick should help.

3.If it's the clacky sound changing the material that the pick is made of helps a tiny bit. Although it's a scratchy sound changing the angle you hold the pick helps.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
I dunno about 1 since from the sounds of it you have a medical condition and I'm no doctor.

2: yeah agreed with dark mass.

3: Again, agreed with dark mass. picking nearer to the neck and/or selecting the neck pick (or dialling in more of the neck pickup if you like using more than one pickup at once) should help. Dialling in a bit less treble at the amp should help too. I'm not sure you'll get rid of it totally but those things should help.

Mainly I just wanted to say you have one badass username there Might well be the best one I've ever seen.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cramping can also come from having a "death grip" on a pick Loosen your grip, slow down and build up speed from there.
Quote by anarkee
Cramping can also come from having a "death grip" on a pick Loosen your grip, slow down and build up speed from there.

to add to what anarkee said, I think all 3 of your issues are interconnected possibly - if you are holding the pick too tight then this will cause the cramps, and holding the pick too tight might mean your "attack" is too "dug in" and aggressive, which could account for your index finger getting beat up, and for the string/pick noise. Practice a relaxed grip on your pick and using just the tip of the pick.
They do make picks out of rubber or felt, which goes a long way to reducing the pick noise on the strings.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
What thickness pick are you using?
I found the heavy duty picks tiring to use, have swapped to .6mm which are much easier, also don't use shiny picks as they need more pressure to hold onto once your hands warm up.
Ohh thanks for the info folks, I do tend to grip it pretty hard. I'm using the same I play for my guitar which doesnt help. Dunlop Gator Grip 1.14mm, I'm guess that is way to thick? I don't like the shiny picks at all, just spin round. I've not heard of rubber picks though, I'll have to look into them.
Cheers
I use them gator grips too, great picks. I use the .96, but 1.14 should be fine.

Make sure that when you're picking that you are picking up and down instead of like diagonally, to minimize the scraping of the pick along the string. Some people dig the scrape, but if you can be sure to strike the string cleanly and avoid the scraping it should be good.

Also, what has been said about playing closer to the neck (I usually play in the middle of the two pickups) and EQing appropriately and whatnot.
Quote by \m/(>_<\m/
Ohh thank you!

I use gator grips as well. 1.5mm Just the same ones I use for guitar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You could always try out a V-Pick:

They don't get no thicker, unless you pick with an ashtray!!!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I use Dunlop Stubby Triangle 3mm, Ultex Triangle 1.14mm, and Gator Grip 2mm.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
I think I do tend to pick diagonally, I noticed the side of my pick is worn down already and I only started playing bass properly again about a month ago :/

Someone mentioned a rubber pick. I bought an adjustable rubber pick that you put a normal pick inside, haven't hadmuch of a practise today but I did notice a difference when I had a quick jam.

Thanks folks. Been very helpful.