Page 1 of 2
Inspired by the “why the love for metal” thread, I wanted to create an open discussion on peoples’ aesthetic preferences, obviously focusing on (but not limited to) music. What sort of soundscapes/rhythms/overall compositions make you wet and, conversely, what stuff makes you want to hurl? Don’t limit answers to particular genres or styles; I think it’ll be more interesting to dissolve those boxed in ideas and explain as best you can in your own words. Feel free to provide any examples.

There’s a lot of music I have no patience for and I can’t really say that the majority of it lies in any one genre so I'm forced to try and describe the traits therein in a different respect. Likewise, for the music I enjoy. I think the problem with most people is that they attach themselves to a particular style/genre for simplicity’s sake; they dump all the bands that showcase their own specific aesthetic preferences in the ‘good’ or ‘true’ pile and the rest are deemed failed attempts. So essentially the majority of popular music styles seem to be defined differently by different people and all discussion gets lost in translation. Obviously, music that fits into the same genre shares a great deal of similarities but trying to define limits/boundaries becomes problematic, especially due to the longevity of some; the longer a genre exists the more opportunity it has to stray vastly from its initial incarnations and the harder it is to make a claim on what it is or should be.

I personally prefer musical pieces that are more structured* and flow effortlessly from verse to chorus to interlude, etc… That’s not to say I like music with strict/rigid structures (verse, chorus, verse, chorus, etc..). The point of the structure and flow should be to build a mood and help construct a narrative. The mood created may be complex interweaving joy and sorrow, solemn tones and whimsical flavours, but it has to make sense or sound natural within its context. I can’t stand music that changes rapidly from one mood to another without some construct to justify the change and I definitely find it hard to appreciate anything that’s a “musical experiment” aka pieces created not for emotional appeal but rather as thought experiments or a ”look how many genres we can fit in here” kind of thing. I also don’t like music that has only one simple emotion expressed throughout (just sad/just happy/just that retarded, anaesthetized, floaty feeling you get in a lot of shoe-gaze).

Essentially, I get a hard on for musical pieces that can best express a story (musically, but fitting lyrics definitely help), so naturally I prefer genres like classical, folk, metal, prog rock, and electronic. As well, music that can expresses the atmosphere and subtle complexity of particular landscapes get extra points from me.

Tl;dr: tel y u lik thing

EDIT: Some music I love:

Tangerine Dream
Oglav
Basil Poledouris [skip to 0:30]
Oddball
Summoning
Sodom [This one doesn't fit with the description but its so beautifully dirty]
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Last edited by Rust_in_Peace34 at Feb 28, 2014,
Well, I can' t say I have a favorite genre although I can definitely say I hate at least two genres of music (reggaeton and Bachata, god damn I hate them). I don' t even know exactly what I like in my music, if I like it I like it and that's it.
penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis
If I don't like it is no good and people that disagree with me have poor taste.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
this thread needs Ian to really get started.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
I'm a very lazyass person so I like fast straightforward beats that make me move. Anything really funky or really heavy and some classical music/soundtracks when I'm in the mood. That's the way I roll.

Apart from music I like art that catches the eye and has multiple..."layers" to it. Like I gotta feel that the artist has put his heart into it, I can instantly feel it, the piece of his heart n soul being left there. Oh yes
I am currently in the process of quitting listening to music, other than due to necessity- learning a song, or composing. And in general, my taste has always been somewhat reserved- I listen to the same tracks for years. Very rare for me to add a track to my "library", so to speak, for when I listen to a track- I look for sustainability in experience.

Can I listen to this track for thousands of times without losing interest in it? A lot of music does not have that quality to me, but some does, and that is what I was generally looking for, at least up to this point.

Now, I will most likely never update my library and quit listening at all. In respect to genres, what I enjoyed most are video game or movie scores- symphonic ones, very few electronic tracks that I found suitable.
Quote by Vanhalaf
I am currently in the process of quitting listening to music, other than due to necessity- learning a song, or composing. And in general, my taste has always been somewhat reserved- I listen to the same tracks for years. Very rare for me to add a track to my "library", so to speak, for when I listen to a track- I look for sustainability in experience.

Can I listen to this track for thousands of times without losing interest in it? A lot of music does not have that quality to me, but some does, and that is what I was generally looking for, at least up to this point.

Now, I will most likely never update my library and quit listening at all. In respect to genres, what I enjoyed most are video game or movie scores- symphonic ones, very few electronic tracks that I found suitable.

You probably only like music from video games and movies because they are from video games and movies. You probably don't even like music. You're a terrible person.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
You probably only like music from video games and movies because they are from video games and movies. You probably don't even like music. You're a terrible person.

That is not true, it is just that the music written for those media are generally used as a background or to cover a specific theme- that I enjoy.
I like to listen to classical and jazz because of reasons.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
my favorite discoveries always take me somewhere new, in a figurative sense. the entire piece should present a coherent vision or narrative, and it shouldn't too closely resemble what i've seen before. i don't have synesthesia, but i'd liken to that the way music creates images for me.

if i find myself being wowed only by a single element of the music (a riff, a solo, etc.) it generally indicates only shallow interest in the song.

sometimes i'll feel overwhelmed by a song and not really understand the gravity of what is happening until i revisit it later. but eventually all the good ones become worlds in themselves.

i guess that's why i tend to like bombastic instrumentation (electric guitar, full orchestras), but that doesn't mean i can't enjoy a slower or a quieter song.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by Baby Joel
So what music do you like Vanahalahalf?

I listen a lot to my own music at the moment, analyzing and looking for ways to improve. Other than my own, I enjoy a few tracks from the Gothic and Guild Wars game series, and a few tracks from the LOTR trilogy and The Fountain. I used to enjoy very few select metal band, but I lost interest to such recently.

Youtube link, Gothic
Youtube link, Guild Wars
Youtube link, LOTR
Youtube link, The Fountain
Last edited by Vanhalaf at Feb 28, 2014,
well bruv, the more you limit yourself to what music you listen to, the more boring your own music will be. just sayin
Quote by Baby Joel
well bruv, the more you limit yourself to what music you listen to, the more boring your own music will be. just sayin

That is a common assumption that still remains to be demonstrated conclusively to be applied on an individual level. I'm not interested in just limiting, I'm interested in abandoning the habit of listening.
Quote by theogonia777
If I don't like it is no good and people that disagree with me have poor taste.

Quote by JohnnyGenzale
this thread needs Ian to really get started.

Both these statements are absolute
Quote by Vanhalaf
That is a common assumption that still remains to be demonstrated conclusively to be applied on an individual level. I'm not interested in just limiting, I'm interested in abandoning the habit of listening.

lel
I like music. All music. Depending on my mood I listen to different things. Any answer other than this one is wrong.
I like a lot of music.

All my favorite music is music that relies more on the structure of the sound than the melodies and notes being played. Like psychedelic music and electronic music. Both of those have tons of possibilities for what sounds can be made.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Quote by macashmack
I like music. All music. Depending on my mood I listen to different things. Any answer other than this one is wrong.

That's pretty ridiculous. There's gotta be something that makes you uneasy. I mean it's cool you're open minded but you undoubtedly have preferences. That's what I wanted to talk about anyway. Didn't wanna mention genres in particular 'cause its almost a taboo to discuss what's better/worse about certain genres on this site. I didn't mean to sound judgemental about those things I said I didn't enjoy, simply wanted to address them.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Quote by Vanhalaf
I listen a lot to my own music at the moment, analyzing and looking for ways to improve. Other than my own, I enjoy a few tracks from the Gothic and Guild Wars game series, and a few tracks from the LOTR trilogy and The Fountain. I used to enjoy very few select metal band, but I lost interest to such recently.

Youtube link, Gothic
Youtube link, Guild Wars
Youtube link, LOTR
Youtube link, The Fountain

Music, as an art, is an extension and expression of oneself, and a person's experiences and influences. If you're just compiling theory in order to make music, not only will it be very boring, but also missing the point entirely. Not saying you do this, but you sort of imply you do when you say you only listen to your own stuff to analyze it.
On the other hand, even if there isn't a huge breadth of music you enjoy, if you're letting it influence your own creations then you're doing it right I believe. I can relate; I'm definitely not one of these guys that has 40,000 bands in their libraries; but the music I listen to isn't all the same and I listen to what I listen to based on how it makes me feel when I'm listening to it.
Quote by Nickpocalypse
Music, as an art, is an extension and expression of oneself, and a person's experiences and influences. If you're just compiling theory in order to make music, not only will it be very boring, but also missing the point entirely. Not saying you do this, but you sort of imply you do when you say you only listen to your own stuff to analyze it.
On the other hand, even if there isn't a huge breadth of music you enjoy, if you're letting it influence your own creations then you're doing it right I believe. I can relate; I'm definitely not one of these guys that has 40,000 bands in their libraries; but the music I listen to isn't all the same and I listen to what I listen to based on how it makes me feel when I'm listening to it.

My study of music is more practical or emotional in nature, of theory I know almost nothing. I study how the music "flows" as a whole, which feelings I can incite in the minds of the listener and by which methods I can accomplish that. Were you an experienced practitioner of musical theory, you would most likely object to my use of the word "analysis".
Quote by Vanhalaf
My study of music is more practical or emotional in nature, of theory I know almost nothing. I study how the music "flows" as a whole, which feelings I can incite in the minds of the listener and by which methods I can accomplish that. Were you an experienced practitioner of musical theory, you would most likely object to my use of the word "analysis".

Ian 2.0 alert

also, doesn't everyone "apply analysis" on music? what's so special with your way of doing it?
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Feb 28, 2014,
Quote by Vanhalaf

so what you mean is you listen to stuff and every thought you have you consider analysis?
Quote by Rust_in_Peace34
That's pretty ridiculous. There's gotta be something that makes you uneasy. I mean it's cool you're open minded but you undoubtedly have preferences. That's what I wanted to talk about anyway. Didn't wanna mention genres in particular 'cause its almost a taboo to discuss what's better/worse about certain genres on this site. I didn't mean to sound judgemental about those things I said I didn't enjoy, simply wanted to address them.

Yes, of course I have preferences. I like orchestras. Chamber, philharmonic, whatever. But I'm not always in the move for that, sometimes I wanna groove to some reggae, sometimes I wanna jam to some rock, sometimes I wanna play jazz, or dance to pop.

The only genre I can really say that I don't like is metal, and it's because of the fans. So I guess there's that. They're so pretentious about the genre's depth without the genre actually being that deep or advanced. And don't get me stated on how some call it "modern classical music".
Last edited by macashmack at Feb 28, 2014,
Quote by willT08
What Reggae do you like?

some bob marley bro
Quote by captainsnazz
mack vs vanhalaf stupidity contest

go

(just wait until you see his special "there are only two genres of music" move)

I'm saving that one for the checkmate
Quote by willT08

so what you mean is you listen to stuff and every thought you have you consider analysis?

I attempt to discover the causality that has led me to the atmosphere within my mind being evoked when listening to such music. What is relevant to me, is the "flow" of the music- it is not as easily described by myself, though, think of it as a mental state that shifts in accordance to the tonal and rhythmic patterns you receive, and that whole entity I'd describe as a "flow".

Though, at this point, I'm certain I have no concrete idea of what I am talking about, so you may disregard it, however- what I am doing, is elaborating on my position, that is- uncertainty.
this thread was a bad idea. go listen to what you like and stay away from what you don't.

/close this thread.
Quote by Vanhalaf

That's not analysis.
Quote by Vanhalaf

I don't see why you'd want to be a musician if you have no interest in listening to music. That's just stupid.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Page 1 of 2