Page 1 of 5
Ive been hunting for the perfect amp and have narrowed it down to these. I have been leaning towards the head on a mesa 212 cab but 120w seems MASSIVE for bedroom playing. especially without an attenuator built in. My other option would be trying to find a 60w 6505 212 combo as i know the normal and + are quite similar but im not sure i could find one and id prefer having a head/cab anyways. Do i have a better amp option, will the head be fine at bedroom volume and everything imbetween or what shouuld i do?
Ya know what the difference between 120w and 60w is in terms of volume?
3db.

Ya know how loud 3db are?
Little.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2
Follow this guide adding the proper info so we can advise you better, though between the two, the 6505+ and mesa 2x12 are definitely better.
The speakers are better, the amp's a bit better, and 2x12 combos are friggin heavy.
Better to distribute the weight.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Ya know what the difference between 120w and 60w is in terms of volume?
3db.

Ya know how loud 3db are?
Little.

Yes i know this, im not talking about volume it can go, i mean sound quality at low volumes, because from what i understand from tubes lower wattage means lower volume for tubes to become saturated and the higher wattage the higher the volume for it to sound good.

Quote by Spambot_2

between the two, the 6505+ and mesa 2x12 are definitely better.
The speakers are better, the amp's a bit better, and 2x12 combos are friggin heavy.
Better to distribute the weight.

And thats what i was thinking
The first part of my post meant that 60w isn't an overkill any more than the double, so you may as well get the big one for the features and (don't quote me on that) pull out two power tubes and halve the power if you need to.
As far as the sounding good at low volumes things goes, it's not that much because of tubes - it's because of speakers.
Speakers of that dimensions tend to sound good when pushing a bit more air, so as a consequence amps sound better with the volume turned up a bit, but if you can reach the volume of someone screaming, or a loud tv movie, you shouldn't have any problems of that sort.

Anyway, it'd be best if you edited your first post adding the informations in the link I sent you so we can maybe advise you with a better amp for your specific needs.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
6505 sound really, really good at low volumes. Especially with a Tube Screamer in front. Can't go wrong with either amp, but I'd take the head, just because of having it in two parts.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Ive decided to scrap this and go with the EVH 5150iii 50w. I feel it fits my needs for wicked high gain while still giving me the versatility i want. Thanks anyways everyone
You are one wishy washy dude

In any case, the 6505 head is fine for the bedroom, you don't need power amp saturation anyway, and the stock speakers in the combo blow dick.

Go with the 5150 III though if you like it better, great amp.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
You are one wishy washy dude

Yea i know! i over analyze EVERYTHING. Took me 10 months of waiting and returning to find my perfect guitar. Even longer if u count searching. And it doesnt help that i dont have the money for the amp right now, so theres time for me to see something else and change my mind. Anyways the 5150iii seems like it can do all i want and maybe more. I really gotta just get to guitar center and try it out.
-Main Gear-
ESP Ltd V-401 + D Activator N&B
De Armond/Guild 2000 M72 Bluesbird w/ USA Toastertops
Peavey JSX & XXL
Mesa Boogie Rectifier Vertical 2x12
Airis Effects Savage Drive
Last edited by TYSHADOWS at Feb 28, 2014,
Keep it to one thread, no need to make a new thread for every point of discussion.

5150III is a great way to go.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
Keep it to one thread, no need to make a new thread for every point of discussion.

Will keep that in mind, thanks. Im still fairly new to this. Made this 2yrs ago but just started using it for more than just saving tabs on the app not too long ago
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
No worries, it just helps clear the clutter on the front page.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
No worries, it just helps clear the clutter on the front page.

Yea totally get it, on the other thread you said for the 5150iii not sounding thin
Quote by Eppicurt
It depends on how you EQ it and what cab you run it through, but yes it can sound quite big and meaty.

Do you think itd be better to grab the matching 212 cab or i have a mesa 212 i could get too. And when u say EQ do u mean with an EQ pedal or straight up on amp 3 band?
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
I'm by no means an expert on speakers, the EVH uses G12's and I'm assuming the Mesa has V30's? The V30's will sound much fatter and darker whereas the G12's will be a lot more mid-range (unless I'm mistaken, someone else can chime in on that). There's no right answer, it'd be best to try it with both and see what you prefer.

EQ meaning the EQ that's on the amp, bass middle and treble.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
I'm by no means an expert on speakers, the EVH uses G12's and I'm assuming the Mesa has V30's? The V30's will sound much fatter and darker whereas the G12's will be a lot more mid-range (unless I'm mistaken, someone else can chime in on that). There's no right answer, it'd be best to try it with both and see what you prefer.

EQ meaning the EQ that's on the amp, bass middle and treble.

Probobly best, i could get either fairly cheap since its just a 2x12 not a 4x12, and i know a guy who runs a guitar shop who id buy the mesa from that i know would let me try it out on it. Sounds good. I cant wait to actually get this thing, sounds like its gonna kick butt. Especially because thisll be my first tube.
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
Actually if this is true at all sounds like id like the mesa w/ v30s better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFase_serW4
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
Quote by TYSHADOWS
Ive decided to scrap this and go with the EVH 5150iii 50w. I feel it fits my needs for wicked high gain while still giving me the versatility i want. Thanks anyways everyone

That's a decent choice. Just so long as you are willing to accept that a Peavey 6505+/5150 will still tear the EVH a new one when it comes to all-out br00talz...

Does that help you make your decision?
The original does get a little more BROOTLZ, but if you need heavier sounds than the 5150III can provide than you really need to do some self-reflection

I much prefer the III. Good cleans, and a ton more versatile. I really can't think of anything too heavy for it.

And I'd take the Mesa cab for what you want.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by classicrocker01

I much prefer the III. Good cleans, and a ton more versatile. I really can't think of anything too heavy for it.

And I'd take the Mesa cab for what you want.

Sounds good to me! BROOTLZ is good but i also put 300 xtra bux into my guitar to get good cleans so i might as well not waste that
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
I'd take the mesa for metal.

The EVH has G12H30, the mesa has the original v30.
If you prefer distorted stuff over clean, I'd even take the nowadays' v30.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Yep, I've run each speaker separately in my Avatar for comparison, and the V30 just has a little more aggressive sound to it for metal.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Which is what im looking for, plus i like fat, wide open cleans. And even better the Mesa recto vert 2x12 cab that im looking at is cheaper too
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
Would it be possible to get the 5150iii to sound more bass oriented like the engl here? Cuz i like how the engl sounds but i feel id like the versatility of the 5150 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJQG31vEq1A
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
You guys may just kill me but its now between the evh 5150iii 50w and the engl fireball 60w. I really need to try these both out
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
Well, the chunky bass and low mids is kind of signature sound of Engl Fireball and Powerball and source of their ballsy palm mutes where as EVH seems to be like Peavey, emphasis is on the mid-mids and high mids. You could propably just increase bass but it could result in loss of tightness. EQ pedal however might provide more permanent fix, letting you toy around with more specific bass and midrange frequencies.

Just speculating here though.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Would the engl still cut through the mix live not micd?
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
I honestly dont know. Sorry. I am a bedroom player only.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
I honestly dont know. Sorry. I am a bedroom player only.

All good, im mainly one too but i jam some other guys (drummer, bass) too which is where i have problems with my setup now
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
I know the first gen Fireballs had a very hard time cutting through the mix, supposedly the second gen was much better.
Quote by dementiacaptain
I know the first gen Fireballs had a very hard time cutting through the mix, supposedly the second gen was much better.

How do you tell the difference? or do they only sell 2nd gens now
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
from this thread may seem better to look at FB100 instead, http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/gear-equipment/102227-engl-fireball-100-vs-fireball-60-a-2.html
so between those 2
and i believe that they only released the 2nd gen in 100w
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
Yeah sorry, the FB60 is 1st gen, FB100 is 2nd.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Yeah sorry, the FB60 is 1st gen, FB100 is 2nd.

Nah prob i really just need to try em both out, the fb100 and the evh5150iii. Cant see any other way to make a decision
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
If anyones still reading on this thread, im going to get the laney ironheart 120h with the mesa recto vert 212 cab w/ v30s
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
Quote by TYSHADOWS
If anyones still reading on this thread, im going to get the laney ironheart 120h with the mesa recto vert 212 cab w/ v30s

And out of left field, here comes Laney! Interesting choice, not a bad one though, cool amps.
Dude, welcome to the world of GAS

Solid choice though, good high gain amp.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Good man. You might want to get some JJ tubes in there soon, the stock ones aren't great. Just Chinese no names IIRC.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Last edited by Eppicurt at Mar 5, 2014,
Quote by classicrocker01
Dude, welcome to the world of GAS

And what a great welcome it is!

Yea i think the Laney is gonna fit perfectly for my needs. I'm buying the cab today then hopefully the head soon!

Quote by Eppicurt
Good man. You might want to get some JJ tubes in there soon, the stock ones aren't great. Just Chinese no names IIRC.

Should i get the same types (4x 6L6 power; 4x ECC83 preamp) and leave the experimenting for later or should i experiment with some Ax7s etc?
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
ECC83s are the same tubes as 12ax7s. You need the same model tube generally, but different brands sound different
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by classicrocker01
ECC83s are the same tubes as 12ax7s. You need the same model tube generally, but different brands sound different

Gotcha sweet. So JJs are essentially the go to tube?
-Main Gear-
Peavey JSX & XXL
Page 1 of 5