Hey guys, just picked this up in a trade for my Fireball as I felt it wasn't really that clear and I go round to a guys flat in order to test out a 6505 to trade and then I see this, sitting underneath and I think... I really like that grill. (I know, us guitarists and thoughts like that)

But to be honest, I liked the 6505 and I didn't like this amp until I plugged in my Bad Monkey and it made a whole world of difference, it was really clear and articulate in comparison to the Fireball, but still, I'll post more detailed thoughts on the Krank tomorrow as it's kinda late now (We spent most of the night talking gear and playing each others guitars But I'm happy with it.

Also picked up this on Thursday night, it's a Korean Dean and I like it, it's been set up really well and the licensed Floyd hasn't given me too many issues. Not a fan of the Dimebucker, but that's always changeable. Not sure why so many people hate Dean's playing this one, but I guess it's before they started making the Chinese ones, which apparently are unusable?

And of course the obligatory family shot, got a few more guitars in their cases that I didn't really want to get out (Out of laziness, what else!)

Edit: Apologies about the bookshelf, I didn't realize how untidy it was, but musicians

Will post a proper review tomorrow, it's half nine at night and I have cranky neighbors!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Last edited by Fisheth24 at Feb 28, 2014,
Nice! Though, I hope you didn't take a straight trade on that Krank...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Nice! Though, I hope you didn't take a straight trade on that Krank...

I did, why's that a bad thing? Can always reverse it if I don't like it though Pretty nice lad the guy I got it from, but I'll give more thoughts tomorrow.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
I did, why's that a bad thing? Can always reverse it if I don't like it though Pretty nice lad the guy I got it from, but I'll give more thoughts tomorrow.

Maybe Kranks are worth more over there... but your Fireball would be worth 2-3 times as much as the Krank would here...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Maybe Kranks are worth more over there... but your Fireball would be worth 2-3 times as much as the Krank would here...

Ahhhhhhhh ok, I'm in the UK so they maybe worth more here. To be honest, I like the Krank more than the Fireball, I guess it's all personal preference but I'll give more thoughts on when I've played it in here a bit more. One MAJOR thing I've noticed is how much a Room can change the tone. When I was at the guys flat I was like, hmmm it's ok but at least I can always reverse it and when I get back home it's completely different and I'm like "wow" Very weird how that happens. Maybe it's where I've got it in my room too.

Also, how do I use the Line out? Can I plug an instrument cable in there or does it have to be a Speaker cable? To plug into my interface.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Last edited by Fisheth24 at Feb 28, 2014,
Quote by Fisheth24
Ahhhhhhhh ok, I'm in the UK so they maybe worth more here. To be honest, I like the Krank more than the Fireball, I guess it's all personal preference but I'll give more thoughts on when I've played it in here a bit more. One MAJOR thing I've noticed is how much a Room can change the tone. When I was at the guys flat I was like, hmmm it's ok but at least I can always reverse it and when I get back home it's completely different and I'm like "wow" Very weird how that happens. Maybe it's where I've got it in my room too.

Also, how do I use the Line out? Can I plug an instrument cable in there or does it have to be a Speaker cable? To plug into my interface.

Not arguing with you on sound - I much prefer the Krank's sound to the Fireball tone

As long as you're happy, that's all that counts!

Didn't realize those amps had a Line Out - An instrument cable is fine. Make sure you're still plugged into a cab though, I doubt it engages any kind of dummy load when the line out is engaged.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Not arguing with you on sound - I much prefer the Krank's sound to the Fireball tone

As long as you're happy, that's all that counts!

Didn't realize those amps had a Line Out - An instrument cable is fine. Make sure you're still plugged into a cab though, I doubt it engages any kind of dummy load when the line out is engaged.

So it's not like a HT-5 which has some sort of feature which allows me to disable it. Ok, very tempted to try it out now and blend that and the 57 together...
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
So it's not like a HT-5 which has some sort of feature which allows me to disable it. Ok, very tempted to try it out now and blend that and the 57 together...

Keep in mind that you'll have to run a cab simulation on it in your DAW, otherwise it'll just sound like a can of bees!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Will do that! Thanks for the AWESOME advice.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
HNAD welcome to the club
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I almost bought a Rev+ combo when I was looking for a new amp, it was $500, but I went with a Randall RM100 for the same price.

HNAD, love me some Krank, it is sad to be without one
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Once again, HNAD! Love some Krank.

^Well now that's your own fault, isn's it
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Sweet!

I really liked my Krankenstein+.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Feb 28, 2014,
Quote by classicrocker01
Once again, HNAD! Love some Krank.

^Well now that's your own fault, isn's it

You don't know how much I struggled choosing not to mention the 1980 and Chadwick for the same price.
Quote by dementiacaptain
You don't know how much I struggled choosing not to mention the 1980 and Chadwick for the same price.

I might get a 1980 tomorrow, if not I have to wait a week or 2 and I'm getting a Splawn

decisions suck sometimes
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I might get a 1980 tomorrow, if not I have to wait a week or 2 and I'm getting a Splawn

decisions suck sometimes

Splawn it dude. I love Krank, but Splawns are the shit. Which Splawn you think?
Quote by dementiacaptain

This. All day, all night, twice on Sunday.

I'm calling this one. Lemme guess, QR?
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by dementiacaptain

Well I have a DSL100 and a 1980 Jr so I'm thinking Nitro or Super Comp because I have the QR tones almost locked up.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The Nitro would be nasty dude. I would love to just play one, still haven't seen one in the flesh yet...
Quote by dementiacaptain
The Nitro would be nasty dude. I would love to just play one, still haven't seen one in the flesh yet...

Yeah I ike having 2 channels, but I could deal with a 50watt super comp (I have a few matched pairs of SED EL34 that need a home)
get a Radial headbone VT and switch between the DSL clean and the splawn dirty and then I have a 2 channel set up that is rad (and I really like my DSL, sik amp)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
One of the players in a band I played with owns a Kt88 Nitro and it sounds amazing. Bad ass tones. Really close to Alice in Chains type stuff. It's something worth looking at as its definitely different than a DSL and a 1980.
Spent some time with it today, there's a few things on the front of the amplifier I really like, the mid sweep control I really like, but I leave it at 5 as I don't see any reason to have it scooped (Unless I want my tone to totally fall apart) and I quite like having two master volumes on the gain channel, as I set the volume of my solo's to be louder, now why amplifiers don't have this as standard is beyond me!

I also like a lot of things with this amp, but now I'm gassing for a Splawn now!

Seriously however, the amplifier is a lot more midrangy than my Fireball was and has that ooomph. I'm not really sure how responsive the controls are however as I've not really messed about with the settings, but I'll do that later as I kinda wanna get used to the feel of the tone before I start messing around with it. Also, the OD makes a world of difference, I didn't think it had that whollop before I stuck the Bad Monkey in front of it.

Sorry for the muddled words, but this is a pretty cool amp that I think I'll keep.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
How do you like the V30's with it? I never tried the rev with them, I always used the V12 that come stock in the rev cabs.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I really like them. I don't find them to be too honky. A little on the bright side, but I am using a mahogany guitar, so I'm not sure if that's doing it. But with my Basswood strat it seems to calm down a little.

I'd like to try the V12's though! May have to get some when I get another Roadkill... I really love that cab and I'm desperate for another. Haha

It also reminds me of a pissed off 800 if it had 6L6's in it. Maybe I should just buy an 800

Also wanting some new tubes, cause I bet they haven't been changed from 2005 and they're EHX tubes... Was thinking JJ's as a duct tape like solution, thoughts?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Last edited by Fisheth24 at Mar 1, 2014,
Nice

That recorder for the beginner book is rock n roll
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Nice

That recorder for the beginner book is rock n roll

Hehe.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
I really like them. I don't find them to be too honky. A little on the bright side, but I am using a mahogany guitar, so I'm not sure if that's doing it. But with my Basswood strat it seems to calm down a little.

I'd like to try the V12's though! May have to get some when I get another Roadkill... I really love that cab and I'm desperate for another. Haha

It also reminds me of a pissed off 800 if it had 6L6's in it. Maybe I should just buy an 800

Also wanting some new tubes, cause I bet they haven't been changed from 2005 and they're EHX tubes... Was thinking JJ's as a duct tape like solution, thoughts?

I find the Rev to be bright, so JJs are a good match. The put a bit more oomph in the ass end, which I like a lot
Will try that, I find it really trebley. It uses 6L6's right? I can just take the ones that I have in out and the new ones in?

Further impressions, it sounds atrocious at really low volumes. Will turn it up tomorrow after the Police have been to my house, don't want to get warned for being loud
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Last edited by Fisheth24 at Mar 1, 2014,
Quote by dementiacaptain
I find the Rev to be bright, so JJs are a good match. The put a bit more oomph in the ass end, which I like a lot

This was my result in my Jr. It's pretty bright, and the upper mids can get overbearing with EHX (had those for a while). The JJ's really even things out and give it a lot more growl. I'm running through a Mesa 4x12 with V30s.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Yeah JJ 12AX7 in the preamp, and 6L6 power.
Sweet, I'll order some when I can then.

Just pop in and pop out for the power tubes or no?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Sweet, I'll order some when I can then.

Just pop in and pop out for the power tubes or no?

Yes, pull them straight out (don't twist them)

You will need to rebias the power tubes to get the optimal sound out of the amp, but it will work if you just put new tubes in it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Right ok, can just buy tubes and bias them later when I have the funds to do so.

Considering it.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100