Whenever I am writing a solo, I find myself getting stuck in a rut. I usually end up playing around in the pentatonic scales that match the key that my rhythm guitar is in. I try to mix things up with mode runs (ionian, mixolydian) but I still feel like I could be more innovative and exciting with my solos. Any tips on how to write innovative, exciting, and intriguing solos that don't sound like a bunch of pentatonic variations?
start singing your solo's and recording yourself singing them. Then try to transcribe it to ear. It sounds ridiculous i know, but for me the coolest solo's i come up with are in my head
Scales aren't your problem, Billy Gibbons used the pentatonics his whole career and he's regarded as one of the greats, try and sing a solo in your head or out loud then try to put it on your guitar
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
Sometimes you have to step back and forget that you are a guitarplayer and musician, and think like a listener.

It's one of the problems many musicians might have, since we do it alot it might be hard for us to realize what is good and what is just flashy. Many of my friends are non-musicians and don't play instruments, but when they have a track in the background and "play airguitar" they can come up with great stuff, cause they don't think of all the scales, chords, modes, arpeggios, techniques etc. They think about having fun and pretending to play an awesome solo.

So as Vayne said, put your guitar away and listen to the section you are going to solo over. Try singing stuff over it, what fits? what doesn't?
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by Sickz
Sometimes you have to step back and forget that you are a guitarplayer and musician, and think like a listener.

Yep... THAT!
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!