I have a 6 string ltd with a floyd and 24 frets. Im currently in drop A with 13 gauge strings, the heaviest being a 56. On my low A, theres a good amount of fret buzz even though the action is pretty high. Bands like the word alive and within the ruins go this low with 6 strings, so id like to know, how do they do it without having the buzz? Do they just have really high action or do they have some other method? because obviously having this high of action is uncomfortable and itd be nice if there was a way around it without having to buy a 7 string or a baritone
Last edited by FifthThirdBank at Mar 1, 2014,
1. action may be too low
2. scale may be too short

You could try putting a .60 on the low A. I use a set of .12s on my "baritone" and it works just fine with a ~25 inch scale, so check those. The nut may also have too much wear on it, leaving the strings near the frets closer and messing it up.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
56 is insanely light for a low A. I use a 56 for a low C and even that is a bit loose.

try a 60 or a 62.

Also you don't need to go so heavy on the high strings. I don't like to anyway.

In short your tension balance is basically backwards.

D'Addario makes a 12-60 set. Try that.

Having 7 strings means nothing. Having a baritone means something. Increasing your scale length and using higher gauge strings increases your tension. Lowering your tuning decreases your tension. All you have to do is balance these things out proportionally. Extremely basic physics
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 1, 2014,
Quote by FifthThirdBank
I have a 6 string ltd with a floyd and 24 frets. Im currently in drop A with 13 gauge strings, the heaviest being a 56. On my low A, theres a good amount of fret buzz even though the action is pretty high.

Move to a longer scale (27" and up). You can play Drop A on a standard 6 with a Floyd, but you're going to run into exactly what you have (and you're going to need to tweak the Floyd to work with the thicker strings you need at the bottom end).

I use a Variax JTV 89F for most drop tunings largely because it can do them electronically, and I don't have to change string tension (or gauges) at all. It's got a Floyd as well.

If you're going to devote one guitar to that tuning, dig through what Rondo Music has to offer (they've just released an 8-string LP with a 27" scale, for example). http://www.rondomusic.com/al-828bkfl.html

Long scale is not really necessary for B and Drop A tunings. There are plenty of 25.5 scale 7 stringers for a reason. You just need thick enough strings, and 56 is not even nearly enough for A. Its barely good enough for B. Try 62 at minimum. D'Addario makes a ready set for that, the 13-62. Same strings as 13-56 except the thickest strings is changed to 62.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
No. Since the string gets noticeably more tense its possible you can even put it touch lower if the frets are perfectly level on your guitar.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Yeah try heavier strings. I use 10-52 for E standard and Drop D, they will work to Drop C at the most and then get really floppy if you try anything lower.

If your in the USA try these guys out completely custom string sets 5 for $15 www.nakedstrings.com
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've seen people that go to like 70+ for a low A, 56 is waaaay too loose, 56-60 is generally the normal gauge for C. Karl from Nile uses a 70, I'd try that.
Quote by Velcro Man
I've seen people that go to like 70+ for a low A, 56 is waaaay too loose, 56-60 is generally the normal gauge for C. Karl from Nile uses a 70, I'd try that.

Yeah, but I think Nile uses 24.75 scale guitars so 70 is almost mandatory for Drop A and still its only about same tension as 46 in low E. 62 is a minimum I would use for A in 25.5" for sure. Same tension as 42 in E which is definetly on lighter side.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I play in Drop A on a LP copy and I use strings from a 7-string set, so I'm playing with four wound strings. The Dunlop heavy core 7-string set works perfect for me. The smallest string in the set is a .10 so I just use for my standard tuned axe.

So you might want to try a seven string set, having the floyd is gonna complicate things though.
i have a 7 string with a 25.5" scale tuned to drop A and the .59 i have on it has great action IMO but the intonation is off and I can't adjust my bridge saddle anymore (scale length wise) so I would go for a bigger string gauge than that (.59). Just make sure your tuners can handle the thicker strings the .59 just barely squeezes into my tuner.
Within the ruins play in drop g. He also uses a 27" baritone scale. Id rather increase my scale than string gauge personally. In saying that I play drop c on a 24.75" scale withh 11-54s, haha