Hi everyone, got a question as i am paranoid about spending over $10,000 on a guitar and then getting it confiscated.

I am very interested in a 2003 les paul 1959 reissue that has a brazilian rosewood fretboard. I will be flying to the U.K from Fiji and stopping by the u.s.a on the way very soon. The guitar that is for sale is in the u.s.a.

I understand that any guitar manufactured after 1993 that has brazilian rosewood is it violation of CITES and if i take it through the airport it could be confiscated, is there anyway around this or have i been misinformed?
Last edited by Iain Greig at Mar 1, 2014,
Quote by Iain Greig
Hi everyone, got a question as i am paranoid about spending over $10,000 on a guitar and then getting it confiscated.

I am very interested in a 2003 les paul 1959 reissue that has a brazilian rosewood fretboard. I will be flying to the U.K from Fiji and stopping by the u.s.a on the way very soon. The guitar that is for sale is in the u.s.a.

I understand that any guitar manufactured after 1993 that has brazilian rosewood is it violation of CITES and if i take it through the airport it could be confiscated, is there anyway around this or have i been misinformed?

I think your wrong, I have a 2002 PRS that has Brazilian rosewood on it, PRS still makes guitars with it and so do many others

It is best to check the laws of the countries you'll be in just to be safe
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
It is best to check the laws of the countries you'll be in just to be safe

This.

Be very careful, sometimes there are specific laws and regulations that can be easily overlooked. I'd contact Customs and ask them direcly.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I doubt you'll have an issue at all with customs.
You're much more likely to have a broken headstock.
I remember reading somewhere you can take a guitar on the plane with you where you sit. Just as long as it goes in the overhead storage bit, if it doesn't fit there then you have to have it with the luggage..

Or you can pay for it to be not in the luggage bit
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Nobody at customs is conducting tests on guitar fretboards to ensure that you’re filing CITES paperwork. For them to actually prove it’s Brazilian rosewood they would have to sand down the wood and run a DNA test. The notion that guitars could be confiscated at the border is just an anti-Obama talking point cooked up by the American Taliban.
Quote by Iain Greig

No, the U.S. government specifically states that musical instruments are not subject to those restrictions. The U.S. Department of Agriculture will e-mail you a copy of the memo containing this exemption if you ask for it.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley