gonna order a bulk of new picks as i live in a country where finding anything thicker than a 0.7mm is near impossible.

I've always used the dunlop jazz iii (it seemed to be used by most of the virtuosos back when i started using it) i will be ordering a pack of them, anything out there that is recommended over this pick for shredding? anything new on the market worth getting?
I like them, but they are small so watch out for the black hole.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Iain Greig
gonna order a bulk of new picks as i live in a country where finding anything thicker than a 0.7mm is near impossible.

I've always used the dunlop jazz iii (it seemed to be used by most of the virtuosos back when i started using it) i will be ordering a pack of them, anything out there that is recommended over this pick for shredding? anything new on the market worth getting?

Have you seen the Jazz III XL's? They are larger and feel more comfortable to me.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Check out BlackIce picks by planet wave. Pretty much same size as Jazz III, but you can have thick ones (they make up to 1,9mm). Not the same feel though, but as a Jazz III player, I like them too.
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
I use the Dunlop Big Stubby. They're big and thick but, I love how they glide along the strings. I've used them for years...they work the best for me.
Quote by Dimarzio45
I use the Dunlop Big Stubby. They're big and thick but, I love how they glide along the strings. I've used them for years...they work the best for me.

This. Stubbies are lovely. I'm not even slightly a shredder and I've been using them for a good couple of years now, after previously using Jazz IIIs.
Quote by Showiddlydiddly
This. Stubbies are lovely. I'm not even slightly a shredder and I've been using them for a good couple of years now, after previously using Jazz IIIs.

I also love them because they provide clearer, bell-like tones. Plus, I noticed that the pick doesn't get "caught up" in the strings like normal picks can...especially for economy picking.
I've used the Big Stubbies for years.

Lately, however, I've been using a pick that's about as thick (and more expensive) called the Razer (yeah, spelled like that) from Gravity Picks. Nice sharp point, thick pick, manages to stay in your hand. Available in a bunch of different thicknesses.

Red one on the right:

I'm not sure why, but I haven't lost one yet. On the other hand, they NEVER get left anywhere that my pick-glomming friends can find them. I have a Pick Punch that makes picks for the guitars that I allow my friends to pick up and pose with...
Last edited by dspellman at Mar 1, 2014,
Quote by dspellman
I've used the Big Stubbies for years.

Lately, however, I've been using a pick that's about as thick (and more expensive) called the Razer (yeah, spelled like that) from Gravity Picks. Nice sharp point, thick pick, manages to stay in your hand. I'm not sure why, but I haven't lost one yet. On the other hand, they NEVER get left anywhere that my pick-glomming friends can find them. I have a Pick Punch that makes picks for the guitars that I allow my friends to pick up and pose with...

Haha I know what you mean. I keep a close eye on them...they have a way of disappearing. I just wish you could sharpen the tip using a thin carpet like more traditional picks(ya know, swiping it fast). I guess they're too thick.
Quote by FrauVfromPoB
As both a sort-of shredder and a jazz player, I find the jazz iii's completely unusable.

what is it about them that makes them unusable for you?
If you like Jazz III, seriously check out the Dunlop Tortex 1.14. I used jazz IIIs for years, but these Tortex 1.14s are everything I liked about them, with nothing I disliked about them.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I still like the Jazz III's. I'm using the Maxx Grip ones right now, either the red ones, or the carbon fiber ones which are a little thicker.
http://epicgrip.com makes incredible picks. I used the pointy Tortex 1.14 picks for years, but these Epic Grips have a beveled edge that gives me as much control as little pointy picks with a lot more to hold on to.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
If you like Jazz III, seriously check out the Dunlop Tortex 1.14. I used jazz IIIs for years, but these Tortex 1.14s are everything I liked about them, with nothing I disliked about them.

I prefer Tortex Jazz over normal Jazz III too. It just feels better in my hand.
Nylon Jazz III MaxGrip is the only pick I will use.

Many people disagree.

The point: pick selection is highly subjective, and there are no constants that apply to everyone.

It's like the thin neck vs thick neck debate for "shredding". There is no correct answer other than you just need to figure out and use whatever works for you.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Heideck
Check out BlackIce picks by planet wave. Pretty much same size as Jazz III, but you can have thick ones (they make up to 1,9mm). Not the same feel though, but as a Jazz III player, I like them too.

This.

The Black Ice picks are made of delrin, which I liked the feel of but hated the shape on Dunlop's picks. The attack is fantastic. Spongy feeling from the delrin, but sharp because of the actual shape. I just hate ordering them online, I wish the local store carried them.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45