Hi! I'd like to ask You which of these hybrid amps are better? I've found used for 1/2 or more price of a new one. By the way marshall is modified and now open box type.
Or maybe I should try to buy full tube amp, such as Laney Cub10?
Can't find any used VOX or Roland Cube, Peaveyin my city for relative cheap price I think all these should sound better than my Laney P35.

Thanks in advance!
what type of tones are you after and what's your budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Both Laney lv200 and marshall avt50x changed my currency into dollars are 239 (used). I want various balanced tones: acoustic to metal (but not especially very heavy). Looking for good quality amp, which doesn't sound digital, but natural and you can feel, how to say, some kind of power when playing I've heard very negative reviews about the marshall, but I still don't know what to expect from laney lv200, because my current laney prism sounds kind artificial. Tried a little friend's marshall mg 10, it keeped my guitar's tone clear and real.
^ Marshall MG is not a good amp. Maybe it seemed like a good amp to you, but it's really not, you would probably realise that after owning it for some time.
Look for used Marshall Valvestate 8080 (first generation of amps the AVT is based on). Better than either of those two and costs next to nothing in used market (except in Ebay but ebay sucks nowadays anyway, nothing but price jacking resellers there anymore). Scratchy pots and jacks are common but thats nothing a contact spray wont fix. Valvestate VS100R (second gen) is not half bad either but first gen is still the best.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Mar 1, 2014,
Is $239 your limit?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Because I'm begginner, I could afford 200$ for SS and maybe a little more for good hybrid amp.. Sometimes there are used amps offers, but I don't really know which of them are worth this money for quality..
No worries. I'm not that well up on the cheaper amps so I'll let the other guys advise there. Only thing I'd say is, don't get too hung up on hybrids- some of them are little better than solid states.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by XgN
Because I'm begginner, I could afford 200$ for SS and maybe a little more for good hybrid amp.. Sometimes there are used amps offers, but I don't really know which of them are worth this money for quality..

Another good amp you may find in your price range is a used Valveking 112 combo tube amp. Needs a boost for metal stuff (ignore the built in gain boost. Its a badly done SS gain stage). A cheap Digitech Bad Monkey pedal will do with gain off and level max. Also even though I am not a person to say what is a good clean sound I think the cleans are fabulous in that amp.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Another good amp you may find in your price range is a used Valveking 112 combo tube amp. Needs a boost for metal stuff (ignore the built in gain boost. Its a badly done SS gain stage). A cheap Digitech Bad Monkey pedal will do with gain off and level max. Also even though I am not a person to say what is a good clean sound I think the cleans are fabulous in that amp.

This is sound advice.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
They're not good hybrids, man. They're shit. If you were talking about a Music Man or a Vyper Tube then yeah, those are good Hybrids but an AVT? No, just no. They're a shitty SS amp with a single tube thrown in to bamboozle the ignorant.
Your Cub idea is a far better one. At least after a few months you're not going to want to set it on fire.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thank You for your time and help I'll try to find good offer.
By the way, is it a huge disadvantage that there's no EQ in Laney Cub 10, for egzample?
I can't get the point, why (at least in my country) Laney Cub 10 price is double lower than Laney LV200 (both new).
Depends on the type of stuff you play. You could always add an eq pedal if you cared.

I'd rather have an amp which sounded good with fewer controls than one which sounded bad with more.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
No worries
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well first the Laney Cub10 is a lowish gain small amp with 10" speaker. Aimed at completely different market than LV200 which is a full size 1x12 combo, twice as big and heavy. With Cub you can pretty much forget about metal without distortion pedal. Lack of EQ makes finetuning your sound hard, you are stuck with what the Tone knob provides. Though if the sound is good from the go then thats not really that big issue.

Seriously, find a used Peavey Valveking combo. Its all tube (outside of the built-in gain boost) and it will do the genres you play all the way to '80s metal and it will improve a lot with overdrive pedal thrown in front to give it a little extra kick. It should be in your price range if you can find one.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
^ agreed. or a jet city if you're in europe.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Oh, someone is selling blackstar HT-1R and I'm confused now, which is better: laney cub 10 vs. blackstar HT - 1R
The AVT would be a good home/bedroom/practice amp. I couldn't get it to cut through a 3 piece band with mine. Could have been the speaker but I didn't want to go modifying it. At 50 watts with the mids dimed it boggled my mind.

For your budget you can find an older Peavey Classic 30 or a Peavey Valveking. Both should have enough cut and sound better than the hybrids.
Last edited by cheesefries at Mar 4, 2014,
AVT's are not good anything (unless you play Death maybe). Terrible, terrible amp.

Peavey Classic or a Jet City are fine suggestions. Even the Valveking, but they do need a bit of work really (speaker and tubes). Still, even without doing that it's going to crap on an AVT or a SS Laney.

As for this talk about lack of controls. Not all amps need them. Just look at the classic 18W Marshall. The standard circuit has a volume and a tone control and they sound better than the TMB ones people build because of their obsession with knobs.
Not all amps need a heap of knobs. Hell, look at the old Fender Champ. One of the most recorded amps in history and it only has a volume knob. That's it - one control and it played a major part in defining the sound of rock and roll.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 4, 2014,
Shuldiner played the vs8100 heads which is a different amp. I still have one and it sounds fantastic if you run it into a 1960a cab. The Valvestate cabs were junk.
You can find that as combo vs8080 which is ss amp+token tube and a real Celestion speaker. Those sounded really good, recorded a few of them. Now run about $100-150.
Sounds fantastic? I had a VS8100 in my band room for a long time. We tried running it through lots of cabs including my 1960A and an incredible Soldano 2x12 and it sounded shit through all of them. If you think a VS8100 sounds fantastic, I weep for you. You are one tone deprived individual.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
So many great replies! I've found 2 offers that are nice to me. I can't decide which would be better to choose: Laney Cub10 vs. Blackstar HT-1R.. Playing at home, and in rather small hall with other elctric guitarist + vocal. Blackstar has 2 channels + reverb and 1W power (=100W as they say.) and 8" speaker. Laney Cub10 with 10" speaker and one channelwithout reverb or something. Hmm, confused.
10" is bar minimum. 12" is as small as I'd ever go, personally. But hey, until recently I was always a 6x12 man.

Check out the Jet Cities. The JCA2112 would be the one for you but really, any of their 20W combos would do. Look for a used one. Would be a far better choice for you IMO.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Sounds fantastic? I had a VS8100 in my band room for a long time. We tried running it through lots of cabs including my 1960A and an incredible Soldano 2x12 and it sounded shit through all of them. If you think a VS8100 sounds fantastic, I weep for you. You are one tone deprived individual.

Some guys like it's tone. I know you don't like bands like Death and their guitar tones but I can't see a reason for insulting the amp and people who like it.