Page 1 of 2
GAS: Gear Acquisition Syndrome. The constant need for musician to constantly buy and hoarde masses of musical equipment that they probably won't use very much any way.

It's been too long since I saw one of these threads and they're always good fun (and surprisingly educational and relevant too.)
So post which ever basses, amps, pedals, strings, straps, parts, etc in this thread to let off your mad GAS.

For once, my GAS is completely realistic. I'm in dire need for both a job and a full gigging rig for after leaving uni this summer. Thankfully, I'll finally have the spare time to work 16+ huors a week and qualify for the UK's Take It Away scheme so I can get a loan for these babies:

G&L Tribute L2500:

To be strung with DR roundwounds of some sort, for playing rock/metal/funk.

G&L Tribute JB-2:

To be strung with Thomastik Infeld Jazz Flat, the greatest strings ever made, for playing everything.

Markbass CMD 121p:

Actually done some research for once, this combo seems to be an absolute no brainer for small gigs (and even large gigs with an extension) because it's light, loud and sounds great. Obviously it costs a ton but you gotta spend money, etc.

Also one of these things from Dave Hall Amps:

Real valve driver/DI and a real conversation starter. Cheaper than anything Tech 21 make too
Last edited by Spaz91 at Mar 1, 2014,
This is gonna break your heart but chappells (now yamaha music) in london had a couple of those markbass combos for around £500-£600 (I think the 1x15 you posted was £500, the 2x10 £600 IIRC) a while back when they had that massive sale on because they were changing from a regular music store to an yamaha-only showroom.

I chickened out cos I thought the soundclips (yeah, I know, but no dealers here) on the genz benz stuff sounded better (it's also on offer currently).

i pretty much have GAS for everything. The only bass I've tried is mine and I still have GAS for basses. I mean, seriously.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Get something DHA. I refuse to be the only one on this forum that has something from Dave.

The felt tip pen adds a certain je ne sais quois, doesn't it? I had one of his overdrive pedals a while ago, sadly I'd bought it as a fixer and was unable to fix it so I passed it on. Sounded great when it actually worked thought.
Quote by Dave_Mc
This is gonna break your heart but chappells (now yamaha music) in london had a couple of those markbass combos for around £500-£600 (I think the 1x15 you posted was £500, the 2x10 £600 IIRC) a while back when they had that massive sale on because they were changing from a regular music store to an yamaha-only showroom.

Thankfully it's the 12" version I want. Much as I adore 15" speakers (and loathe 10") the added weight would be too much and I am resolutely refusing to learn to drive considering how tiny an island Great Britain is.
Yes and no, there are fuzz pedals I want but I would never actually use one besides fiddling about at home. In a recording or live situation, I'd switch to a synth (that way there can be even more bass.)
Vintage Rickenbacker 4005

Rickenbacker 4003

Orange AD200 & OBC410

Way huge Pork Loin

All for my new stoner/psych project. Entirely unrealistic demands though, although I will be buying a rick this year.
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
I've got a lot of GAS.

First up is the basses.

Warwick Corvette NT Bubinga

Truth TO4-002
(Invalid img)
Mike Lull PJ5-24
Clover Avenger.5

Clover Apeiron HP.5 Edition
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Last edited by dark Mass at Mar 1, 2014,

ESP ltd Vintage 214-Fretless. I've wanted a fretless for a long time. Don't want to spend too much cash on one, so this seems like a good choice.

ESP ltd B-1004. It's an affordable bass that has everything I want, but there are some other enticing basses that don't cost too much more...

Spector Euro 4LX. Something keeps drawing me back to these basses. I absolutely love the look and the sound, but I haven't been able to play one, so I haven't pulled the trigger.

Warwick Streamer Stage I. This would have to be my be all end all bass. Custom shop with a d-tuner, ebony board, & some cool inlays and call it a day. All of the features seem great but I wonder if it's really worth spending $5000+ when compared to the Spector or ESP.

Tech 21 Sansamp RPM. For the love of God, someone buy my old rig so I can buy this already.
There has not been anything that has caught my attention in a while, so I am looking for only a few things:

Moog Taurus III Bass Pedal Synthesizer:

Carvin B2000 Bass Amplifier:

And of course, some day, a Warwick Vampyre:
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Spaz91

Thankfully it's the 12" version I want. Much as I adore 15" speakers (and loathe 10") the added weight would be too much and I am resolutely refusing to learn to drive considering how tiny an island Great Britain is.

Ah, they didn't have the 12", so that'll be a little easier to take

I dunno if i could lift my gear out to my car, let alone any further than that

Since you're in the UK, have you tried any of the FretKing basses? Don't want to derail the thread, but this is sort of GAS as there are pretty good deals on at the moment as they seem to be winding down the blue label series- I have a couple of the guitars and they're pretty nice (especially for the prices currently) but I haven't tried the basses. I was thinking of the Fender-style PJ type one. I figure if I could pick one up for £250-£300 it might be worth doing as if it's anything like the guitars it'd probably smoke anything else at that kind of price...

Also I want a tube bass amp. Yeah I'm mainly a guitar player. My GB's preamp is all-tube (I think) but I kinda wonder how an all-tube bass amp would sound...

Quote by Dimarzio45
Do you guys have any fuzz pedals on your bucket list?

bass big muff maybe. but whether i actually get round to ever getting one is another thing
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 1, 2014,
I love these threads.

As always, the ever-present kingpin of my GAS list: the Steinberger L2

NS Radius Fretless

I've had a hankering for a Stingray Stealth for a while now

One of the new Fender Starcasters

Spector Forte 5

Mike Lull NRT5

Bergantino HD410

Darkglass Microtubes B7K

Now if I only had money for any of these things. Or room to store them. Or time enough to play them all as much as they deserve.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Amps

Glockenklang Heart Rock II

Glockenklang Blue Soul

Warwick WA600

TC Electronic Blacksmith
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Glockenklang amps are amazing, but I have never, ever seen one in an L.A. music shop!
Quote by FatalGear41
Glockenklang amps are amazing, but I have never, ever seen one in an L.A. music shop!

They're pretty hard to find since they have dealers that are hard to find or out in the middle of nowhere. For example the Sound Stage in Fresno or Music Unlimited in Monterrey.
Quote by Tostitos
*basses*

I could go for all of these besides the stealth MM, which is tacky as hell (and I say that with a Steinberger there.)

Really curious about the NS, I wish they'd arched the fretboard a bit more though.
Is this arched enough for you?

No; you are not on acid. It really does look like that.
Trying to save money is the worst.
I've been eyeing a lot of Jazz 5ers lately, never stops my GAS from setting off. Also trying to get a decent effects board up and running, with a darkglass and some description of octaver, chorus, delay and compressor.

And worst of all, I know a guy selling a Lakland Skyline 55-02 for $800 which usually goes for about $2k over here. Kill me.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
Quote by Spaz91
I could go for all of these besides the stealth MM, which is tacky as hell (and I say that with a Steinberger there.)

Really curious about the NS, I wish they'd arched the fretboard a bit more though.

I know, normally I'd say the same thing but for some reason I've been GASing for one. I think it might be a combination of Stingray GAS mixed with GAS for a Zon Ray Riendeau signature Mosaic which happens to be matte black.

The NS is something I really want to try, but I don't think I'm going to see one in person anytime soon. I love the design of the whole thing, its just a pity the Czech version is over $3000 and the US custom shop version is stupid expensive.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I have a five-string HH Music Man Stingray special edition with an ebony fretboard, and if I did not have that, I would be all over one of those "Stealth" models.
Quote by Black Ox

ESP ltd B-1004. It's an affordable bass that has everything I want, but there are some other enticing basses that don't cost too much more...

These are FANTASTIC basses. Just got the B1005, utterly beautiful feeling, beautifully put together, just a really nice bass. It has, I'm afraid to say temporarily cured my bass GAS
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
But does it have enough valves?

Thinking of dream amps:

No valves, lightweight cabs, transparent tone. Awwwwww yeah.

I could go for one of these as a studio-only bass:

And this, the most perfect Precision bass ever made:

Plot twist: I used to own that bass, I had to sell it last summer to pay for rent. I will track it down and acquire it though, the same for my sunburst ATK300
Been listening to Paul Simon's Graceland album. Cue Fretless gas.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Quote by Ziphoblat
Been listening to Paul Simon's Graceland album. Cue Fretless gas.

You want a fretless Washburn B 40 then, there's one on my GAS list just because of that album.
Quote by Spaz91
You want a fretless Washburn B 40 then, there's one on my GAS list just because of that album.

A man can dream. Probably not much chance of stumbling across one, especially fretless. I imagine I'll end up grabbing a Squier VM Fretless Jazz - I've played a few and always quite enjoyed them (I'm also bad at fretless so the lines would help). Although I'm now listening to Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer and liking the idea of a fretless Stingray. Maybe one day.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Quote by Ippon
That arch/twist is badass and a mind ****.

Man, that's one of their plainer basses! You should see the really wild ones!
I would really love a Callowhill OBS 5.

Short scale 5ers FTW!

Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
For me, an Urge II is just a given. I lust after my bass teachers one.

And god, I want a decent chorus pedal...
Quote by anarkee

And god, I want a decent chorus pedal...

Have you tried the Mojo Hand Villanova Vibe?

It's an awesome chorus although it's on the pricer side since it's a boutique pedal.
Quote by anarkee
I"ll check that out. Thanks!

I forgot to mention it's not actually a chorus but a Leslie speaker emulator. I use it chorus though since it doesn't lose a lot of low end.

Another one you might want to try is the Greenhouse Effects Stonefish Chorus it's a lush sounding chorus that doesn't lose a ton of low end.
Last edited by dark Mass at Mar 9, 2014,
Having once played my bass through a Leslie cabinet that sounds worth checking out. I loved the sound and if I could find that in a smaller package it would be ideal
My ideal studio amps, the (discontinued) TV Bassman series:

Some of the only valve gear I'd be willing to use.

And thanks to Les Claypool I need this:

Last edited by Spaz91 at Mar 24, 2014,
Page 1 of 2