I hadn't played the amp for 3-4 weeks, turned it on and sound was crackly and volume waving down/up. Tried different guitars/cables first. I then cleaned the tube sockets and inputs/output jacks with deoxit. no response. different tubes, no change.

I plugged right into the FX Loop and it sounded normal, volume was fine, no crackling. What does this mean? Should I replace the input jack on the front?
If you do decide to open it up, try spraying some contact cleaner into the hole on the pots. After that jiggle your pots to get them nice and clean. If that doesn't work then it's definitely something in the preamp section.
If you plugged into the Effects Loop and the problem went away, it's definitely in the preamp section. You probably have a tube going out, my guess being the phase inverter or V1.

Order a couple JJ 12AX7's, or you can try swapping preamp tubes around until the problem goes away.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
If it's not a tube (which if you have actually swapped one in all positions it won't be) the next thing I'd look at are the jack sockets. Do they seem loose?

After that it my be a blown capacitor, which unless you have a good idea what you're doing means taking it to a tech.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by Flux'D
If you plugged into the Effects Loop and the problem went away, it's definitely in the preamp section. You probably have a tube going out, my guess being the phase inverter or V1.

Order a couple JJ 12AX7's, or you can try swapping preamp tubes around until the problem goes away.

Not trying to get into semantics but the PI is in the power section and after FX loop.

If moving the pots around doesn't have any impact I'd be looking for cracker solder joints. Not sure if you are okay with high voltages that may be lethal or you just want to take it to a repair shop.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
^That's what I was thought as well, but I wasn't quite sure where the PI is located in the amp
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]