My friend offered me his used gibson explorer for £100. It is in good condition but i was wondering whether i should buy it.

Seems like and incredibly good deal too me?
my first feeling would be that that price is well into "too good to be true" territory. I'd be concerned it's either a fake or he's passing off an epiphone as a gibson. In fact, £100 is probably getting into "too good to be true" territory even if it's an epiphone, lol.

can you get pics of it to post here?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah that seems too good to be true.

Crack addiction is becoming a serious problem again it seems.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
My money is on it being an Epiphone. Or stolen. Possibly both.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
If it's your friend's, I wouldn't think your friend wants to sell you a fake one and not tell you about it (unless your friend is an @sshole). Take some pics of the guitar. To me it feels like too good to be true and as Dave said, even if it was an Epiphone, it would still be too good to be true. £100 for almost any guitar is a good deal (unless it's a crappy starter pack guitar).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
$100 wouldn't even get you a used Epiphone Explorer. I've also seen many people buying used Chibson Explorers for $150 knowing what it is...

That guitar is either stolen or a cheap fake (lower quality than a normal fake)

Or you just have a REALLY REALLY REALLY good friend. I'm hoping for this.
Last edited by cheesefries at Mar 1, 2014,
Quote by JackovSlayer
^ Or maybe his friend doesn't know shit about guitars.

if so then If it's real give him 150 and buy him some lunch. Make em feel like he still owes you
Last edited by cheesefries at Mar 1, 2014,
£100 is way too good to be true.

Either he is an amazing friend or he doesn't know what he has.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 1, 2014,
Thanks guys, ill get some pictures and ill make sure it is not an epiphone.

He has legitimately had it for over 5 years so its either not stolen or beyond my problem.

He cant even play but has family members that can play guitar and received it as a gift. I might go round and check it out soon.

He is a picture of it

EDIT: asked for a photo of the neck/head
Last edited by bennnp at Mar 1, 2014,
Can your friend take better pictures than that? As in pictures of every angle of the guitar, in high quality?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Yeah, it's much too dark to be able to see for sure.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
The top was apparently chipped and changed and says "wesley" on it. Idk about whether it is legit or not. He doesn't know enough about guitars to be trying to scam me but he may have been told different idk
We would know if you could get better pictures.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
It says 'wesley' on it?

It's supposed to say Gibson mate.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by bennnp
The top was apparently chipped and changed and says "wesley" on it. Idk about whether it is legit or not. He doesn't know enough about guitars to be trying to scam me but he may have been told different idk
Sounds like he got duped himself. That's not a Gibson.

http://www.ebay.com.au/gds/Wesley-Guitars-the-explorer-copy-/10000000027763085/g.html
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
Offer him £50 if you still want it
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster

That explains why he didn't want to show you pictures of the headstock. It in almost no way resembles a hockey stick.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
On the plus side, if your name is Wesley, you can tell people it's a custom job.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Dem Chinese factory workers sure know how to fake custom shop Wesleys, I'm telling you now.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I know right, they're getting craftier by the minute.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by bennnp

Wesley's are cheap guitars that were sold by a shop in Yorkshire a while back.

They cost between £90 & £150 new, and were obviously imported from China or somewhere similar. I had a couple, they were actually OK and played fairly well, but I didn't pay more than £40 for either of them.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It says 'wesley' on it?

It's supposed to say Gibson mate.

+1

Yeah it's a cheap copy. I'd have said £100 was way too much for it
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?