I haven't played in A LONG time and I'm picking up guitar again and I can't even do When I Come Around (Green Day if you didn't know) that well these days, have problems just holding a 3 finger chord now :/
Kind of like starting from the beginning again because I'm also fixing my technique. Any ideas on how to go forward

Oh, and any tips for standing up play? I've never been able to get this down, and now I have a new strap I want to do it

For an idea of the sort of things I could do back in the day when I played more:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZyNQH3QJKE
Sorry about quality, recorded using 3.2MP phone camera of 3 years ago
Quote by epic FUZZ
Kind of like starting from the beginning again because I'm also fixing my technique. Any ideas on how to go forward

The exact same way as anyone else. Just because you've done it before doesn't mean the principles of good practice don't apply to you.

Quote by epic FUZZ
Oh, and any tips for standing up play? I've never been able to get this down, and now I have a new strap I want to do it

Make sure your strap is at a reasonable height and spend a lot of time playing standing up. Really the best way to do it is just to spend a lot of time doing it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Make sure your strap is at a reasonable height and spend a lot of time playing standing up. Really the best way to do it is just to spend a lot of time doing it.

There's a good bass playing rule of thumb where you sit down and adjust the strap so the bass is only just being held, then when you stand, it's at the perfect height for playability.
Quote by CorrosionMedia
There's a good bass playing rule of thumb where you sit down and adjust the strap so the bass is only just being held, then when you stand, it's at the perfect height for playability.

Good general rule.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I can relate to this. I went through what I guess you could call a dry spell. Two years, and I barely picked my guitar up. Anyway, I finally started playing regularly again about 3 months ago. Boy, was I rusty?! The good news is that even after two years, the rust comes off pretty quick. I'd say that I'm playing as well as I was before the dry spell. I'm not quite as fast (though I haven't really been pushing the speed), but I'm breaking new ground for me in some other areas. One thing that helped when I was first getting back into it and was majorly rusty, was to not allow myself to have expectations of playing well at first. The point was just to play, whatever sound came out of the guitar was whatever sound that came out of the guitar. That got things moving again.
Don't sweat it.

Joe Satriani himself said that when he's not on tour, he doesn't touch a guitar and has to build his chops back up when he has to tour again or record.

I believe Jeff Beck is the same way.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Practice.

I quit playing for about seven years, and I was shocked at how terrible I was when I started up again. It was so bad that I was questioning whether I had any real musical talent to begin with.

After about nine months, I was back up to speed. 18 months after I stared playing again, I'd advanced far beyond where I was at my previous peak. I'm still improving every day.

Like said before: practice.
As for standing up playing, buy a nice strap. My levys strap was one of my best investments. I also recently switched to wireless so I just strap on a guitar and walk around the house. I'm sure sooner or later I'll be posting about how I hit a doorframe and busted off the headstock of my LP. Oh well... I also play rocksmith and my tv is up a bit higher up so standing is perfect. Just rock out in front of the tube.