Hey guys

I have an Ibanez SR305 bass, unfortunately I don't remember the string gauges but I was advised that they were appropriate for the tunings I wanted (5 string half step down).

I am getting a ridiculous amount of fret buzz starting around fret 5, and at fret 1 on the lower strings the note just goes dead completely. I have tried adjusting the truss rod but this hasn't had any impact whatsoever.

Any advice?
So the buzz happens on the frets 1-5? Did you turn the truss rod in the right direction?

Check how bowed the neck is by pushing down frets 1 and 12 and measuring the distance between your 7th fret and string. There should be a small gap between the string and fret. If there isn't, you need to loosen the truss rod (turn it counter clockwise).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Mar 2, 2014,
Did you do the measurements at 7th fret with 1st and 12th fret pushed down? Because that way you can be sure that it is your truss rod. If there's fretbuzz on the first frets only, it is most likely your truss rod. If you had too low action, the buzz would occur on all frets, not just on the first frets. You could also have bad frets. But first do the measurements. If there's no gap between the string and the 7th fret when 1st and 12th fret are pushed down, you need to adjust the truss rod. Otherwise your action will be ridiculously high to get rid of the buzz. But if there is a gap, it's not your truss rod.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Random3
I did check and there was no gap at all, which is why I then adjusted the string height which seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for the help though!

No, adjusting the string height will not create a gap there.

Push down your 1st fret and 12th fret at the same time. Now measure the distance between the 7th fret and your string (while 1st and 12th frets are still pushed down). If there is no gap, you need to adjust your truss rod. As I said, raising your action will kind of fix the problem (buzz will go away) but your action will be pretty high that way. To get low action, you need to adjust the truss rod. IF THERE IS NO GAP BETWEEN THE 7TH FRET AND THE STRING WHILE 12TH AND 1ST FRETS ARE PUSHED DOWN, YOU NEED TO ADJUST YOUR TRUSS ROD. Nothing else will fix the problem.

I wrote it in caps because I didn't get an answer and I wasn't sure if you understood what I was trying to say. So now GO and MEASURE the gap between the 7th fret and string WHILE 12TH AND 1ST FRETS ARE PUSHED DOWN.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
When you down-tune a 5-string bass with a 34" scale, it can be a royal pain is the ass to set the bass up properly. Truss rod tweaks, bridge saddle tweaks, etc. This is why I avoid down-tuning whenever possible.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Definitely a re-setup for a 34" 5er 1Whole Step down.

Definitely.

Dang thing physically cannot stabilize a LowB at 34", now you are going to push it to A (?)

That is wild man.
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
I had a similar problem (Five string Jazz bass tuned half step down) and I fixed it by raising the action a tad, but also taking a file to the first few frets, I do not advise this however cause it's easy to mess up your bass permanently, I only did this because this is my back-up bass and I feel a little more comfortable experimenting on it.
Quote by Random3
I did check and there was no gap at all, which is why I then adjusted the string height which seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for the help though!

just to back up previous comments. Your bass isn't set up properly and your truss rod needs loosening. The neck should be very slightly bowed so that the strings clear the lower frets. You can stop this by adjusting the bridge but this leaves a very high action up the neck and the intonation will be out as well.
As much as I love Ibanez basses the SR's are the reason I learned to manage a truss rod. They are really finicky and simple things like string changes and changes in heat and humidity can throw them off.

I concur with Phil; get a good set up and you'll be fine until the next variable comes around.