I've got some money to invest in my guitar gear right now, so I'll get to the point.
I run a Epiphone Les Paul PTP through a ZW crybaby and a Marshall MG15CDR.

I can get ok-ey rock sounds, but I'm into metal, and the amp just isn't sharp enough, when you turn up the gain, treble, contour, etc, it gets noisy and nothing much happens then.
I hear the amp is a piece of shit and I would be inclined to believe that.
I'm looking into replacing it with a Peavey 6505+112 combo, which should cut it, it sounds good to me, what I've seen of it on youtube, but will it be ok for bedroom sound levels?

Also, I'm looking into changing the pickups, maybe for some active EMGS, an 81 and a 60 maybe, will they need new pots because my Les Paul has coil splitting pots? I think the batteries will fit fine.

I'm not interested in changing the guitar, I would like a FR some time, but until then my guitar cuts it and plays beautifully, after I set it up properly, I've been around the music shop and can't find anything else worth getting playability wise, barring the custom shop Gibsons.

I play mostly power and thrash metal, I also like to drop tune and do Amon Amarth type stuff, which sounds pretty awful, like the bass isn't really coming out.
Power Metal! Like riding on a unicorn whilst traversing a rainbow to attack a castle kind of stuff?

A 6505 112 will be fine, but I'd get a Digitech Bad Monkey to use as a boost too.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by dragonzrmetal
I hear the amp is a piece of shit and I would be inclined to believe that.

I feel you, I used to have an MG30FX myself...

Anyway, yeah, the 6505 combo would be nice indeed for what you do.
The EMGs would work, but what pickups to get in particular is kinda up to your taste.
If you buy EMGs though, I think they now sell them with gimmicks to spare you the soldering parts + the pots to work them.

You may also wanna save up for a different speaker.
I heard GC now sells WGS v30s for $69 and free shipping, that'd be a good deal.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
The 6505 combo and swap the speaker for a WGS Vet 30 will be awesome for you.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Gonna agree with everyone here, get the 6505+ 112 and a Digitech Bad Monkey.

Speaker swap to the aforementioned Warehouse Veteran 30 would be great, but not immediately important if you don't want to drop the extra $70 right now.

One other thing that is very important: get an EQ pedal. The MXR 10 Band is the industry standard and is great, but if you want to save some cash, the Danelectro Fish and Chips is also a surprisingly great pedal (as long as you're not jumping on it to turn it on).

Put the EQ in the effects loop of the 6505, and put the level knob on the EQ down from half way. This will completely tame the volume controls on the 6505, and make it sound amazing at bedroom (talking,whisper,TV, whatever) volumes.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 2, 2014,
Quote by Offworld92
Gonna agree with everyone here, get the 6505+ 112 and a Digitech Bad Monkey.

Speaker swap to the aforementioned Warehouse Veteran 30 would be great, but not immediately important if you don't want to drop the extra $70 right now.

One other thing that is very important: get an EQ pedal. The MXR 10 Band is the industry standard and is great, but if you want to save some cash, the Danelectro Fish and Chips is also a surprisingly great pedal (as long as you're not jumping on it to turn it on).

Put the EQ in the effects loop of the 6505, and put the level knob on the EQ down from half way. This will completely tame the volume controls on the 6505, and make it sound amazing at bedroom (talking,whisper,TV, whatever) volumes.

+1 to everything here.

Don't worry about pickups just yet. Wait till you listen to your tone after these changes.
I think the Peavey 6505 is a definite buy now, I'm just waiting for one to come up on ebay somewhat locally. I'll also get a bad monkey to go with it.

I'll leave the speaker and EMGs out until a later date.

I'm not sure I want to spend so much on an EQ pedal yet though, I'm tempted to leave it out if I don't really need it.
I have a mixer, can I set that up as an EQ?
Quote by dragonzrmetal
I think the Peavey 6505 is a definite buy now, I'm just waiting for one to come up on ebay somewhat locally. I'll also get a bad monkey to go with it.

I'll leave the speaker and EMGs out until a later date.

I'm not sure I want to spend so much on an EQ pedal yet though, I'm tempted to leave it out if I don't really need it.
I have a mixer, can I set that up as an EQ?

he's mainly talking about using the EQ as a volume control. your mixer can do that just fine.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae