So I am on the market for a new amp, but I'd like to hear some of your opinions on these amps before I make a decision. I use a fender blues deluxe reissue. However I find its OD channel a bit muddy and limited (in fact really limited).

That being said, I am looking for a gigable amp, for overdriven tones only, that will be used as an OD channel instead of the one on the fender blues deluxe. I like growling and defined OD nothing too screamy, since I play mostly blues. One thing I'm afraid is that I'll be too quiet with a nice OD or too saturated at gig volume.

Since I'm getting a higher gain amp, I'd like to be able to play random stuff such as Rise against, Atreyu and punk things or even metal (sometimes )

The cheap option: Marshall DSL15H 500$

No FX loops. Big turn off. I find its tone a bit dry as well. It doesn't growl enough to me (more like a scream), if anybody understands. But it's cheap!

The nice option: Orange OR15H - 700$

Has an FX Loop. Not too pricy, even better if I find it used. Does everything in between rock and metal.

The great option: Mesa/Boogie Mini rectifier - 1000$

Not sure I want to drop a grand on an amplifier yet. I haven't tried this one, but I heard other mesa amps and I know this could probably do basically anything. I just feel like the orange could do the trick for 300 buck less. Got more room to find the "sweet spot" probably since it can do either 25w or 10w.

The dream option: Marshall 18 watt - $$$

Or is it? Never tried one? Heard one at a noisy gig maybe... Seems like a fine amp. There is a clone for sale in my area for about 800$. Is it worth getting a clone if I can't go higher than a 1000$? No Fx loop as well, which is inconvenient for modern music.

I am open to any suggestions!

Budget: 1000$

Thank you UG as always, you are very helpful!
Wow! The Fender Blues Deluxe is already a great gigging amp for the music you play. The secret: Ignore the overdrive channel completely cause it's lame and feed the clean channel with a couple of different pedals for different levels of gain. Fulldrive, OCD, TS9 are all good choices depending on your palate. I gigged with one of these for 5 years and she was a sweetie. I had 3 levels of gain that were variable with a roll off on the guitar volume. Perfect for blues and classic rock tones. No reason to drag around 2 amps unless they are paying you $2k per night.

Shape your tone with pedals and just let the amp amplify. If you simply must buy another amp... Mesa F30. It has clean Fender tones and good OD channels with tons of gain @ $650 used. This is my main gig rig now and it is very good but honestly the FBD was just as good for 95% of the stuff I play and the reverb was better in the Fender. Hindsight, I could have just added a heavier OD pedal and been in the same sonic place as the Mesa.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
They are not paying me

But yea I considered pedals, but since I was looking for something to play hard riffs, I thought it could be a good idea to combine this new rig with the one I have already. I guess I should try some more pedals to see if I could find a good OD tone I like. Way cheaper this way.

And yea, I heard these JetCity. They are great I really love them!
Last edited by Taz9 at Mar 2, 2014,
The cheap option: Marshall DSL15H 500$

If ya ask me, if you have to buy an amp and you have this kinda money, you don't even need to include in this list stuff you don't completely like.
But gary moore used to use JCM2000 DSL100's, and bonammassa does the same.
So if you still don't like it after having heard that, you don't wanna buy this amp.

The nice option: Orange OR15H - 700$

Why not?
Maybe not great for blues, but the cleans are nice and though I don't like the distortion channel, it works and some people do like it.

The great option: Mesa/Boogie Mini rectifier - 1000$

"sweet spot"?
Anyway, rectifiers aren't the thing I'd go for to play blues.
The mini in particular.
If you want a mesa to do that kinda stuff have a look at a mark II or a 5:25.

The dream option: Marshall 18 watt - $$$

I feel your wanting one, and between what you listed it's the thing I'd go for to play blues, though it's not really versatile and to get it into distortion you have to raise the volume to a level your neighbors could find unsettling.
If you decide you want one though, a clone's good.
I'd go for a ceriatone in particular, but if the $800 one does the job, you're set.

I am open to any suggestions!

Well I'd say the new bugera v22's would do the job.
Or a JCA22H.
Or an egnater rebel.
Or, if you can find one, a brownface bassman.
Brownface bassman's kick some serious asses.

or a fender blues deluxe...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
The 18W Marshall is by far the best blues amp that you listed. IMO, they are the best blues amp this side of a JTM45. You can get quite good distortion at lower volumes with a boost/overdrive pedal. If you are gigging you will still probably want one for solos to kick it over the edge. If you dial the volume in right you will get better dynamics than any other amp there is. So you can play the bulk of your set on the edge of breakup. ie. pick gently it's clean strum hard and it distorts and the transition between the two is the most dynamic you will ever find. The Fender boys will argue that a Deluxe is better but to them I say
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks Spambot for this very detailed answer !!

And the clone for sale is actually a ceriatone builded by Nick (the owner I'm guessing).

Cathbard

I know you use Marshall 18 watts for your builds, so it's without a doubt a good amp!
On the other options, I really didn't like the Bugera V22. It sounded nasty, buzzy, and lifeless to me. I tried to like it several times, but couldn't.

The Jet City, I absolutely love. Although I'm not sure if it would be smooth enough if you're playing blues primarily.

The Egnaters are awesome. Best all around amp I've found for the price. They're a little smoother and less snarly than the Jet City, but they won't get as heavy. But they should cover what you want no problem.

The 18 watters are awesome, just remember you'll have to use a pedal for your OD.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
The guy has a ceriatone?
Go trying it, and if you like it, buy it right away!

I mean I don't really know if it's the thing for you because of the lack of versatility, but if you mostly care about blues (and you don't wanna find yourself an old bassman) go for it.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
@Classicrocker thanks mate! Never considered Egnaters since I don't know them. I'll have a lot of amps to try this week.

Ye he has a ceriatone 18 watt TMB Marshall "with a second EF86" channel. Not quite sure what this is... The guy says it's "chimey like a Vox"...

And it's equipped with Heritage reissue series Celestion G12M Greenback.

Edit: Will I be able to dial in good overdrive indoor without pedal? Craking the volume up and keep the master lower? Why do I need OD boost?
Last edited by Taz9 at Mar 2, 2014,
I think a Jet City would work for what you want.

I have the 50H thru a mesa 212. I play everything from light blues to hard rock (mostly a blues player), and it works great for me. Sounded great with the punk/pop/rock band I was recently in.

Check out my profile for some songs I recorded using it. I'm in the process on recording some demos of the amp alone now. I should have them ready in a week or so.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
The TMB ones have an extra 12AX7 in the path which does detract a bit from the simplicity of a proper 18W'er which is mostly why 18W'ers are so brilliant with dynamics. It would still be a good thing though but quite frankly 18W'ers don't need all those tone controls, especially when they come at the cost of dynamics.
I have a design that uses a TMB as a second channel but keeps a pure 18W'er path for the primary channel. What this one you are looking at does is use the TMB as the primary channel and switches in an EF86 (a small signal pentode) for the second channel. That is the same tube used in earlier AC30's. I can't comment on that particular circuit, it's probably very good, being Ceriatone.
Bottom line though, even though it has no true 18W'er channel it would still be the best thing you have listed. However, seeing as how it doesn't have a true 18W'er channel I would be going for an Egnater Tweaker instead.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

Bottom line though, even though it has no true 18W'er channel it would still be the best thing you have listed. However, seeing as how it doesn't have a true 18W'er channel I would be going for an Egnater Tweaker instead.

So are you recommending it or the Egnater?

The Rebel sounds a bit thicker than the Tweaker, and a tiny bit raunchier, if you decide to go the Egnater route.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Check out my profile for some songs I recorded using it

I just did. Nice punky tone. I really like Battle Scars btw.

The TMB ones have an extra 12AX7 in the path which does detract a bit from the simplicity of a proper 18W'er which is mostly why 18W'ers are so brilliant with dynamics. It would still be a good thing though but quite frankly 18W'ers don't need all those tone controls, especially when they come at the cost of dynamics.

Ok I see. And I don't really mind the EF86 channel, since all I want to get is good marshall-ish OD tones. Thanks for letting me know this stuff.
Quote by classicrocker01

So are you recommending it or the Egnater?

The Rebel sounds a bit thicker than the Tweaker, and a tiny bit raunchier, if you decide to go the Egnater route.
The Egnater. If it was a real 18W circuit I'd go for the 18W'er but it isn't so I'm not.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
One in the hat for the Boogie Rectoverb.

I have an old one and a new one. Gets some great bluesy tones all the way up to rock. Doesn't really have the headroom for that detuned 8 string Djent shit but it can keep up with a lot of metal.

The newer ones IMO have a truer midrange that its brethren lack, a good bonus.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Quote by Cathbard
The Egnater. If it was a real 18W circuit I'd go for the 18W'er but it isn't so I'm not.

Ah gotcha, wording just had me a bit confused
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

I went to the music store today. I just can't find something I like enough...

Here's my new list

Jet City JCA2112RC (No retailers in my area)
Marshall DSL40C
Ceriatone TMB 18W Marshall Clone
Quote by classicrocker01

+1. With good tubes and an od in front the rebel has a very nice growl. Used Rebel 20 heads have been going pretty cheap too
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
^For the record I threw a set of EHX 12ax7 tubes I had laying around in mine today, really responded well to the change.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

I'm going to back up the Egnater recommendations, the Rebel 20 or 30 gets a real nice sound, I liked my 20. The Ceriatone gets my vote out of your current list.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I'd try a few OD pedals, as suggested earlier before dishing out that much money on a new amp unless you really hate the Fender BDR.
The clean channel takes pedals very nice, and from personal experience, as I own the same amp, it does take the OCD very nicely.
On the clean channel, I've gotten some excellent blues tones with my LP, and if you decide to play around with both the pedal and the amp's drive channel, by screwing around with the drive on both the pedal and the amp you can get tones from Led Zep to ZZ Top quite easily.

Nonetheless, the Egnater Rebel 20 sounded quite nice, when I tried it out at a local store.
Haven't had any experience with the amps you listed however. But best of luck nonetheless.
Thanks for all the replies! I'm taking notes seriously and every week I'm going to the music store try some stuff.

At first, the staff was always happy to see me, but I believe they are a bit tired of me trying all their stuff and never buying anything.
Hey man, I do the same thing at our GC. But the guy that I always deal with loves seeing me, because it means he gets to pretend to be working while we sit in the Platinum Room and jam out on high-end gear
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by classicrocker01
Hey man, I do the same thing at our GC. But the guy that I always deal with loves seeing me, because it means he gets to pretend to be working while we sit in the Platinum Room and jam out on high-end gear

This is me and my guy. We just jam on whatever neat toy they have in that week, any time the boss comes by I make a point to ask some questions (even though I'm the one who educates him )
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
According to our GC manager, I've been interested in a Splawn Quickrod, Friedman Brown Eye, Bogner Shiva, and a Bludotone Bludo-Drive in the last month
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75