I've been looking at buying a custom shop gibson les paul 1959 reissue for a while now.

here is the problem i have, the majority of them are either Vintage Original Spec or Tom Murphy aged. Some even have cigarette burns on them to make them look old. They also charge a significant amount more for this sort of option too.

while i can understand why people like this sort of thing, it bothers me that gibson often release guitars that don't have the option of looking brand new. I am assuming they base this on supply and demand but it surprises me that the majority would prefer to buy their brand new guitars looking old and knocked about than brand new. i realise these are historic models, but aren't there more people like me who would prefer to buy a 1959 reissue that looked the same way a real 1959 les paul would have looked the day its first owner bought it. Am i in the minority?
Last edited by Iain Greig at Mar 1, 2014,
Quote by Iain Greig
I've been looking at buying a custom shop gibson les paul 1959 reissue for a while now.

here is the problem i have, the majority of them are either Vintage Original Spec or Tom Murphy aged. Some even have cigarette burns on them to make them look old. They also charge a significant amount more for this sort of option too.

while i can understand why people like this sort of thing, it bothers me that gibson often release guitars that don't have the option of looking brand new. I am assuming they base this on supply and demand but it surprises me that the majority would prefer to buy their brand new guitars looking old and knocked about than brand new. i realise these are historic models, but aren't there more people like me who would prefer to buy a 1959 reissue that looked the same way a real 1959 les paul would have looked the day its first owner bought it. Am i the minority?

You can buy most CS guitars with a "new" looking finish. Even artist models have a cheaper one that isn't worn in.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Yea Gibson's prices for relicing and doing very easy minor things is very ridiculous. I don't understand how people would even consider paying it

The VOS finish that many people seem to admire is just some red gunk that is rubbed on the guitar after it's made. You can take it off with a cleaner wax but still... Nothing special about the Gibson historic finishes at all.

If you are going to plot over 5 grand on a Historic Gibson it would probably be better spent putting it toward a used old one.

I agree with you. If I want a 59 I'd like it built how it was then and looked as it did on the showroom floor in 59. Not one that has 40+ years of fake playing. Nothing cool about fake mojo. I could bet you one day Gibson offers a 59 with robot tuners

Last edited by cheesefries at Mar 1, 2014,
Gibson basically does their own aging these days. Personally I don't care for it.
So you're left with VOS or Gloss for RIs other than aged. Gloss is the full shiny new look.
VOS are as mentioned treated with some gunk to make them look gently aged, finsih is not scratched but often PU and control cover plates are lightly marked up. VOS are >$300 cheaper than their gloss counterparts.
Both my R7 & R8 were VOS and a couple of hours with Virtuoso Cleaner and polish and you'd never know. A little metal polish took care of the bridge and tailpiece but couldn't restore the PU COvers.

Good vendors to buy these guitars are: Sweetwater, Marks Guitar Loft, Eddies Guitars, HOG, Wildwood, Daves etc.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
Gibson basically does their own aging these days. Personally I don't care for it.
So you're left with VOS or Gloss for RIs other than aged. Gloss is the full shiny new look.
VOS are as mentioned treated with some gunk to make them look gently aged, finsih is not scratched but often PU and control cover plates are lightly marked up. VOS are >$300 cheaper than their gloss counterparts.
Both my R7 & R8 were VOS and a couple of hours with Virtuoso Cleaner and polish and you'd never know. A little metal polish took care of the bridge and tailpiece but couldn't restore the PU COvers.

Good vendors to buy these guitars are: Sweetwater, Marks Guitar Loft, Eddies Guitars, HOG, Wildwood, Daves etc.

I love that goldtop. A Goldtop LP was the first guitar I ever wanted way before I ever played guitar. And I still never got one! yet...