I have big strings and I'd like to get bigger strings.
The nut is a bit to low for my taste though - with strings that thick I gotta keep an action pretty high near the pickups and pretty low near the nut.
I'd like to get a more equal action and since the nut's too low with .12-.56, it'll most likely be too low with .13-.62.

Thing is, I can't remove the nut from the neck, it's probably set with glue.
It's a Xaviere XV-835 tele standard neck, and I don't really know what I should do.

I tried removing a nut from my spare neck, an unfinished tele style neck I got from guitarfetish.
Result was - I broke the nut, and half of it is still in place.

So, you guys have any advice about what to do at this point?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
I have big strings and I'd like to get bigger strings.
The nut is a bit to low for my taste though - with strings that thick I gotta keep an action pretty high near the pickups and pretty low near the nut.
I'd like to get a more equal action and since the nut's too low with .12-.56, it'll most likely be too low with .13-.62.

Thing is, I can't remove the nut from the neck, it's probably set with glue.
It's a Xaviere XV-835 tele standard neck, and I don't really know what I should do.

I tried removing a nut from my spare neck, an unfinished tele style neck I got from guitarfetish.
Result was - I broke the nut, and half of it is still in place.

So, you guys have any advice about what to do at this point?

Look at post #2, pic's #3 & #4.

You'll need to score along the edges with a exacto knife then give it a strong hit to break it loose from the glue.

Good luck!
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by Spambot_2

Actually it's not most likely, it's a sure thing. The bottom of the string rests on the nut, so even if they were an inch thick they would be just as low as they would be if they were only a 100th of a millimeter thick.

Just sayin'...
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
Can't help, but I want to say I'm there with you, nuts cut too low are an ass sore.

Perfect way to make a guitar play like shit no matter what you adjust on it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You can fill the slots with a baking soda/super glue mix and then refile them. Just google baking soda super glue nut filler.
How is the neck relief on the guitar, and I'm assuming the frets buzz right now? Where at on the fretboard?

Before you get too far, do you have a nut to replace it with? If you want to make actual progress on this you'll need someone to make a new one. The shops around here charge around $40 for a new bone one.

Being a Fender-style guitar there's a chance the bottom of the nut has a step in it, if so you wouldn't be able to drive it out. Check out this picture and you'll see what I mean

Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
^ the one I removed (broke...) from the other neck didn't have the thing, so I'm kinda guessing the thing is safe.
Plus the nuts they sell on guitarfetish don't have the thing, so even though I can't really be sure I hate the thing enough to try.

I don't see why I would need a new nut anyway, my idea was to simply put paper under the one I already have and maybe use a pinch of hot glue.

The frets buzz a bit near the 15th fret, even though the action there is pretty high.

I don't really know if I can use red.guitar's method, there's no parts of the nut resting over the fretboard, so I don't think I could pull out the thing the way the pics show.

I'll have a look at the super glue + baking soda thing!
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
i am wondering how your truss rod is adjusted right now too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Are they buzzing near the nut, as in the first 5 or so frets? It sounds like your truss rod needs a slight tweak instead of raising the nut.

Do you know how to check neck relief? You can do it with a couple capos, but I just sight down the fretboard with my eye at the bridge, like you're staring down sights on a rifle. The neck should have a very slight bow to it
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
If the strings are high up the neck and low by the nut, it's a truss rod issue. Raising the nut is just going to make the guitar play worse. Put the strings on that you want on there and give it an actual set up.