I'm 13 and looking for a bit of extra money by busking, I've had about two years practice but can't sing for $H!T. I need intermediate songs that dont require singing. I play classic rock like zeppelin and Floyd but am open to any suggestions. Thank you.
not gonna make any money playing zep or floyd

and singing, even terribly is always better when busking. or busk with a mate that sings

just play music you like that's also on the radio and you'll be good
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
a) busking doesn't really make any money
b) you're not going to make anything not singing
c) you're not going to make anything playing classic rock
d) you're not going to make money if you are 13
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
The only instrumental acts I've seen make a decent amount are small three-man groups playing traditional jazz, solo artists with backing tracks, and one kid who played flamenco style stuff.
Praise the Z-Dog, my DADDY ♂♂♂
Quote by theogonia777

I've got a mate who hasn't had a single job in the last 2 years because he makes so much busking 3 nights a week
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Put your effort into your schoolwork. Practice your instrument after school, join the school band so you have some organization, go to a music school after school once a week. Apply for a conservatory if that is what your after. What are you in, 7th grade now? maybe 6th? You have a lot more important stuff to do than busking.
Last edited by macashmack at Mar 2, 2014,
Quote by theogonia777

Bull. Shit.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by theogonia777

The problem is it's not as stable, but the burst income per hour can be very high. Higher than most jobs actually

Also you do not need to sing, it's about charisma. Then I don't mean appearance, but if people feel your genuine and into it, they often give u money for the effort alone.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 2, 2014,
Dude you're pretty much in the same situation I was in a few years ago.

I used to busk on Grafton Street, Dublin. Started when I was about 12/13 doing covers of Nirvana, Foo Fighters, The Beatles, The Doors, The Black Keys and some other simple stuff. First it was just me and my friend with two acoustic guitars and a few months later we had electric guitar, acoustic, bass and cajon setup.

And I'm not lying we made a LOT if money. I can remember on our first day with just me and my friend we made about 90-100. Some people were kinda shocked that we were so young so they gave us money.

Another day I went busking by myself for awhile (I don't sing) and in about 30 minutes I got about 20euro when it was lashing rain.

I think a big factor us also was we were kinda crazy and nobody our age had done stuff like this before with lots of energy like playing guitar behind your head, running around, jumping over each other while playing, pretending to be The Who and playing in the rain topless.

In just under two weeks we made about a grand to record our EP. Also don't do what I did and spend all your money on food!

Quote by theogonia777

So........

Best of luck on your journey man, you'll definitely meets lots of new interesting people and will get the chance to plays lots of new gigs and venues.

Edit:
Quote by xxdarrenxx
The problem is it's not as stable, but the burst income per hour can be very high. Higher than most jobs actually

Also you do not need to sing, it's about charisma. Then I don't mean appearance, but if people feel your genuine and into it, they often give u money for the effort alone.

Exactly! You gotta enjoy it and sort of put on a show!
Last edited by R_Gallagher_Fan at Mar 2, 2014,
Get a partner who can sing and play some percussion too (tambourine? djembe? limitless possibilities. He could even play another guitar) and play well known songs. Rehearse your sets beforehand.

If you don't know a good singer, why not use the Internet to find one. You might make more money if you can find a hot girl or a Justin Bieber type guy.

That's what I'd do anyway.

EDIT: I'm actually gonna research the local busking legalities here and start a small band if I won't get a summer job lol
Last edited by Jyrgen at Mar 2, 2014,
Quote by theogonia777

That's how it is where I am. I don't know where you other guys live, but in Canada a busker is the lowest form of human life imaginable. Most of them have open sores.

EDIT: For clarification, in my city, you have to spend $25 to apply for a busking license, good for one day, and only available during a major festival (the parameters of such a label are not explained whatsoever, but as of now we have 1 each year).
Israel is a terrorist state.
Last edited by JD Close at Mar 2, 2014,
Quote by theogonia777

Haha, you funny!

We have been known to make $100/hr busking in a great location. It does require some talent and songs that hook an audience quickly.

These guys do pretty well solo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jksUe_7GPs0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GOCS0ftSMk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3AqnMsB_n0
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 2, 2014,
Quote by theogonia777
a) busking doesn't really make any money. LOAD OF SHITE.
b) you're not going to make anything not singing. TRUE. YOU NEED TO SING.
c) you're not going to make anything playing classic rock. HALF-TRUE
d) you're not going to make money if you are 13. SHITE. I've seen 11 year olds in Glasgow playing guitar and singing and getting quite a large crowd.

My 2 cents.
Last edited by Philip_pepper at Mar 2, 2014,
doing stuff like dueling banjos gets a lot of love.
Praise the Z-Dog, my DADDY ♂♂♂
Quote by willT08
Extra money like you're already making p's fam ease yourself my yute

i never know what you're saying, but i always know what you're saying
i don't know why i feel so dry
You can make some money busking. I used to do it on weekends.

Just get a little set together of about 5 songs you know backwards and forwards and can play with some energy and you'll be good. Singing helps (A LOT!) but it's not necessarily required.

Also, restaurants/bars love free entertainment. Go around and ask if you can busk in their establishment or when the weather gets nicer, on their patio or whatever. As long as you don't suck nads, it's a great way to get some experience and I've found that people old enough to go to pubs and spend money on food tend to appreciate stuff like Zeppelin and Floyd more. Just realize that you have to put together a bigger set (30-40 minutes) if you plan on doing the restaurant/bar thing.

Good luck, and one more tip: Write down your songs on a sheet of paper and keep it in your pocket. There's something about playing in front of people: You instantly forget what songs you know.
Quote by mjones1992
You can make some money busking. I used to do it on weekends.

Just get a little set together of about 5 songs you know backwards and forwards and can play with some energy and you'll be good. Singing helps (A LOT!) but it's not necessarily required.

Also, restaurants/bars love free entertainment. Go around and ask if you can busk in their establishment or when the weather gets nicer, on their patio or whatever. As long as you don't suck nads, it's a great way to get some experience and I've found that people old enough to go to pubs and spend money on food tend to appreciate stuff like Zeppelin and Floyd more. Just realize that you have to put together a bigger set (30-40 minutes) if you plan on doing the restaurant/bar thing.

Good luck, and one more tip: Write down your songs on a sheet of paper and keep it in your pocket. There's something about playing in front of people: You instantly forget what songs you know.

Very true.
We've done some classic rock classics cover on the street, and got about 70 euros in one day.

But then again, we did it in a street in a town where all the hip people live

You don't have to play near an office or some other "serious" shit

Try playing in a park, near a contemprorary art museum, etc.. where people come to be entertained/entertain themself
Last edited by AmirT at Mar 2, 2014,
Quote by theogonia777
Sure it can.
Quote by theogonia777
Sure he can.
Quote by theogonia777
Guy who busks a couple miles from my apartment does pretty good with classic rock covers. People love classic rock.
Quote by theogonia777
Bingo.
Quote by R_Gallagher_Fan
Dude you're pretty much in the same situation I was in a few years ago.

I used to busk on Grafton Street, Dublin. Started when I was about 12/13 doing covers of Nirvana, Foo Fighters, The Beatles, The Doors, The Black Keys and some other simple stuff.

I saw some young buskers in Dublin over St Patricks's last year. It was 2C and they were in shirt sleeves. More courage than I have since I was wearing 3 layers.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Quote by R_Gallagher_Fan
Could've been us on Grafton St or Temple Bar!

It was Grafton for sure!

As long as you are entertaining, people will throw money at you.

ron666
i saw a couple at a train station (not subway, actual trains, so there are people actually waiting around for a while). pretty girl, good lookin dude. she sang, he played this BEAUTIFUL martin. they had a real legit setup, sound was great. they had to have made HUNDREDS judging by the amount of bills in the guitar case.

plus, there were a ton of $5 bills in there because people were waiting around and heard a bunch of songs rather than just being a passerby. i even saw a couple $20 bills.

i've never done it myself, but you want to pick a place where people are going to sit/stand around and hear a few songs rather than a place that just has foot traffic. the people who hear a few songs are almost grateful for the entertainment and are far more likely to put in a decent amount of money. passers-by will toss in a quarter, maybe a dollar.