I got a 1995 Korean Epiphone "Joe Pass Signature" Emperor II for $550, after negotiating a little with the owner of the store down from $650. Also, it came with a hard case, and the store had their guitar tech look at it, and set everything up professionally. I was originally going to get a Gretsch 5191 for $600, but I think I bonded a little more with the Epiphone then that Gretsch. So did I get a good deal?
Last edited by laxer1997 at Mar 2, 2014,
Shouldn't you have checked if it was a good deal before purchasing? What if we tell you it was hideously overpriced.....
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
holy crap you got hosed.

edit: i'm kidding i have no idea. where was it made?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Mar 2, 2014,
Quote by laxer1997
I got a 1995 Korean Epiphone "Joe Pass Signature" Emperor II for $550, after negotiating a little with the owner of the store down from $650. Also, it came with a hard case, and the store had their guitar tech look at it, and set everything up professionally. I was originally going to get a Gretsch 5191 for $600, but I think I bonded a little more with the Epiphone then that Gretsch. So did I get a good deal?

You got taken, that is a $350 used guitar. I looked at ebay and there are a lot of people asking $500ish for them, but the ones that actually sell don't go higher than $380.

I'd take the guitar back and get one for $200 less than your "deal" from the store.

Hope this helps
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
You got taken, that is a $350 used guitar. I looked at ebay and there are a lot of people asking $500ish for them, but the ones that actually sell don't go higher than $380.

I'd take the guitar back and get one for $200 less than your "deal" from the store.

Hope this helps

It depends where he lives,

it may be true for the US,
it is not true for many other parts of the globe
Quote by Robbgnarly

Hope this helps

Although you're technically right, a $200 premium that covers a set-up, hardshell case, and lack of shipping/hidden fees isn't so bad, especially when you don't have to wait for shipping. It's also a small premium to pay to keep a local store in business. When you break it down like that, I don't think it's a bad deal at all.

For $200 he got:
-to play the guitar before buying
-no wait time
-pro set-up (probably incl new strings)
-hardshell case
-to keep a local shop running, where you get unparalleled service and easy access to things like strings and picks and cables when you need them right away.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
Although you're technically right, a $200 premium that covers a set-up, hardshell case, and lack of shipping/hidden fees isn't so bad, especially when you don't have to wait for shipping. It's also a small premium to pay to keep a local store in business. When you break it down like that, I don't think it's a bad deal at all.

For $200 he got:
-to play the guitar before buying
-no wait time
-pro set-up (probably incl new strings)
-hardshell case
-to keep a local shop running, where you get unparalleled service and easy access to things like strings and picks and cables when you need them right away.

If your willing to pay $200 for a used case and a setup (which most stores do for free when you buy a guitar) then more power to you. My local store will actually beat any online price (and that is with tax added in) and they are not a big chain at all.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
bad deal. $350 tops for me. Supporting local stores? well... I wouldn't expect a price tag over 400 on it on a small shop. He probably got the thing for 250 and marked it up to 600.

I really don't ever see used epiphones in any condition go for over 400 anywhere. Elitists not included.
Last edited by cheesefries at Mar 2, 2014,