Hello most trusted colleagues, I have recently landed a new job which requires me to relocate to Scotland. As the job is in Glasgow city centre, I am looking for a place to live as near to there as possible.
Can anyone who hails from Glasgow direct me to the nicer, more crime free areas of Glasgow?
I currently see a lot of flats in my price bracket are in 'New Gorbals', however I have heard less than savoury things about this area...

TL;DR - What are the nicer areas in and around Glasgow city centre?
Quote by Monolith295
Tobysaurus is one sexy man.

Quote by Kensai
I think I love you Tobysaurus!

Quote by CFH82
God damn, you've given me a boner Toby!
but yeah, the west end's the least uh, scummy, only a quick subway ride to the centre too

You'd need to walk around surrounded by student wankers like me tho
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Last edited by steve_muse at Mar 2, 2014,
(obligatory heroin and shortbread joke)
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
alright dude, say it with me.

cen. ter.

CEN. TER.

CEN. TER.

is that so ****ing difficult?

CENTER.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid

cen. ter.

CEN. TER.

CEN. TER.

CENTER.

Get your US bastardisations of the English language out of my thread!
Quote by Monolith295
Tobysaurus is one sexy man.

Quote by Kensai
I think I love you Tobysaurus!

Quote by CFH82
God damn, you've given me a boner Toby!
Quote by Cb4rabid

cen. ter.

CEN. TER.

CEN. TER.

CENTER.

but

you're wrong

WR. ONG.

WRON. G.

omg

WROGN
Are you American?

Thing is, Glasgow is rough, no matter where you stay. Is it as rough as the rough areas in the US? Definitely not.

If I HAD not move to Glasgow city, I'd consider the West End, but in my opinion, it's very overrated. Also, it's full of dick-ass students.

I'd even say that the Merchant City, which is more to the East, looks better than the West End, but, again, you're more likely to see a few dodgy looking folks.

Definitely stay out of the south. The north may be a bit better. Are you in Glasgow just now? Do you know anything about it at all?
You're getting stabbed everywhere.
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
Quote by SMH07
You're getting stabbed everywhere.

For the longest time, I never heard of any trouble.

However, last time I was out, I was in some shitey club near Buchanan Street that had glass bottles, and what do you know, those goddamn assholes started hitting each other with them. Ambulance, cops, everything, showed up outside.

Dunno what Glasgow is like compared to Newcastle, but I've heard some shit about Newcastle as well.
Govanhill or Shawlands on the south side. There are nice flats to be had out in Dennistoun on the east end. The Gorbals is a hovel I'd stay well clear.
Last edited by SHaun Steel at Mar 2, 2014,
Just remember, if someone says "good morning," the proper Glaswegian response is "get fucked ya cunt."
Avoid the north, it's really bad. South has some decent areas like Busby and Clarkston but that's into East Renfrewshire but only a short trip to the central by train.
Quote by Philip_pepper
Dunno what Glasgow is like compared to Newcastle, but I've heard some shit about Newcastle as well.

Newcastle is alright. Has its shit areas, much like Glasgow.

I dunno much about Glasgow really. Only been there once for a gig.
Quote by SMH07
Newcastle is alright. Has its shit areas, much like Glasgow.

I dunno much about Glasgow really. Only been there once for a gig.

A friend of mine went down there for a weekend.

They offered 3 drinks for the price of one (holy shit).

And my friend, who is a bit on the chubby side, had a black guy stop her on the street and give her a detailed description of the things he'd do to her ass.
Quote by Philip_pepper

And my friend, who is a bit on the chubby side, had a black guy stop her on the street and give her a detailed description of the things he'd do to her ass.

Yeah drink here is stupid cheap on certain nights. On Mondays you get trebles for like £2 each, or 3 for £5 deals. Its shite vodka obviously but its not lie students give a shit.
Quote by Philip_pepper

So did she take up his offer ?
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
Last edited by ProgFripp74 at Mar 2, 2014,
Pollockshields is a beautiful area, Govan is also full of culture and great accomodation.

Possilpark has a wonderful pharmaceutical heritage I believe and Easterhouse has a vibrant and varied landscape with friendly neighbours.

If you want to commute I suggest Eastkillbride, it's a lovely area.

Hope this helps.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777

Quote by Crofty89

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
Quote by lemmyisgod97
So did she take up his offer ?

Nah, bless her soul, she's a good girl.

Quote by ProgFripp74

If you want to commute I suggest Eastkillbride, it's a lovely area.

I don't.

EK is too far away, in my opinion, and there's not much benefit to living there.

I can recommend Uddingston, it's a nice wee town in Lanarkshire, pretty central to everywhere. Going into Glasgow takes about 10 mins with the motorway.
Last edited by Philip_pepper at Mar 2, 2014,
Glasgow is such a heap, man. I used to love it, purely because it's where (almost) all the gigs happen. But now I see how shitty it is.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by guitarist41
Glasgow is such a heap, man. I used to love it, purely because it's where (almost) all the gigs happen. But now I see how shitty it is.

Now? What changed it for you?
Quote by Philip_pepper

I don't.

EK is too far away, in my opinion, and there's not much benefit to living there.

I can recommend Uddingston, it's a nice wee town in Lanarkshire, pretty central to everywhere. Going into Glasgow takes about 10 mins with the motorway.

You do realise my entire response was just listing some of the worst areas in Glasgow?

Ts if you are reading do not stay in any of the areas I previously listed, you may die.

I live in Dundee so I know what a shit area is.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777

Quote by Crofty89

Last edited by ProgFripp74 at Mar 2, 2014,