Hi there,

http://www.voxamps.com/uk/nighttrain/lilnighttrain/

I bought a Vox Lil Night train amp in the Summer and I absolutely love it! It has fantastic tone. My only problem is that it has screeching highs, but is lacking in the bass department. My bass nob is on full all the time and it's just not enough, and I find myself plugging into amplitube sometimes and using my 5.1 PC speakers, just to get better lows to fill the room better.

I still have the original 10 inch Celestion VX10 cab. I'm wondering whether buying a bigger cab will give me this low end? Because when I plug the amp head into my PC through a line in, although the quality isn't amazing, I can get a beefier low end sound from it.

Cheers!

Phil
A 12 inch speaker will go a long way. Personally, I like 2x12 cabs with my amps.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Yeah a 12" speaker will help
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You're in the UK, right?

Look for an Orange PPC112 or a PPC212. Really great quality and you guys get great prices on Orange stuff over there.

Stay away from no name random auctions like that. Probably some crap "Designed by Celestion" BS in there.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
what guitar are you playing? have you experimented with any pedals and guitar tone knobs etc to balance it out?

imo its way better to have a bright tone than a dull one. you can take away, you cant add what isnt there.

and adding bass may or may not tame the high end. yes a 12 incher will do you good in the bass department, but if that 12 inch speaker has some ice picky high end frequenicies, then your going to get bass and treble.

i would say your on the right path to a thicker, deeper tone with such a small amp, but have not pin pointed the issue.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Marshall has made some decent 2x12s and some really crappy ones, and I can't tell which that is. If you're in the UK, people really seem to love the Harley Benton 2x12s with Vintage 30s, if your budget doesn't allow for the Orange suggested above.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

AFAIK the ONLY decent 2x12 Marshall ever made was the 1936.

That said I am no Marshall history guru by any means.

And I absolutely cannot believe I didn't even think to mention Harley Benton.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ Yep, that's the one. Couldn't remember the model number to save my life.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Yeah I am. Ok thanks mate. I'm on a budget you see, but I might take my amp head down to my local guitar shop and try one of these.
Quote by philleonard
Yeah I am. Ok thanks mate. I'm on a budget you see, but I might take my amp head down to my local guitar shop and try one of these.

Don't let your budget be too hard a limiter. Save up if you need to. If you buy cheap crap, you'll waste a lot of money and time.

I know way too well, I've been way too far down that road.

If you buy a Marshall 1936 or an Orange PPC212 or even the Harley Benton 212, that's a great piece of gear that you can keep for life.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Try an EQ pedal...
Fwiw I have a night train and the open back ppc212 and they sound bad together. Really harsh high end and not enough lows. It sounds better through my Marshall cab though.
EQ pedal is a solid suggestion. i still maintain with the right EQ, guitar settings, cab/ speaker etc you should be able to naturally tame the tone
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
So an EQ pedal would actually be able to produce these lows that I need, not just limit the guitar frequencies to the range of bass that the cab already produces? (If you get what I mean)
Last edited by philleonard at Mar 2, 2014,
Quote by philleonard
So an EQ pedal would actually be able to produce these lows that I need, not just limit the guitar frequencies to the range of bass that the cab already produces? (If you get what I mean)

Yes you can Boost the lows and cut the the higher freqs...
Quote by Offworld92
AFAIK the ONLY decent 2x12 Marshall ever made was the 1936.

That said I am no Marshall history guru by any means.

And I absolutely cannot believe I didn't even think to mention Harley Benton.
And even then, the 1936 is hardly what I'd be looking for for more bass.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification