Hey there, I am not a Guitar expert, nor a tech either.
But, there is a cheapie I bought for 100€, at first as a beginner I was almost satisfied, however I still have hopes for that boy..

He looks like Stratocaster's bastard son, a Statocaster body with Ibanez pickups, and the input is on the side of the guitar body instead on front like Stratocaster, and it has no pick guard, its just black and brown.
Changing strings also didn't result a difference.

Despite his bad performance, he looks quite sexy, so I still have my hopes on that guitar. I don't see how the quality of the wood, would impact the quality of the tone..

I did a little research on other guitars, despite I could not find the manufactuer because its non-existant anymore, and found something VERY odd about the inside of the guitar.

The tone knob is missing a resistor, it only has a cap wich i am not sure what kind of cap it is. But instead a resistor its bridged with a simple wire. Kudos to the crappy author.

I know I can't get it to polished-studio quality-jimmy hendrix-astonishing tone, but at least make it sound clean and deep.

Here is a image gallery for that kid.
http://imgur.com/a/L0V47#0

So any expert would give any advice?
Last edited by Fensonous at Mar 2, 2014,
What amp are you using?
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I have a 30w tube amp, I also tried the guitar to a computer vst, I also didn't liked it.
What tube amp do you have?

Do you or your friends have another guitar you can try out with your amp to see if that tone is more preferable? If it is, then odds are you just dont like the guitar. If you must keep that guitar, then you probably need to replace all of the electronics/pickups because it sounds like there is something fishy going on there.

Other than that, theres definitely other higher quality yet affordable guitars with that same sort of look. Check out Schecter, esp ltd, or ibanez models.

Traditionally most of your sound is going to come from the amp though, so check that out.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

most $100 guitars sound like crap anyways, so that is my first thought.

What is the 30 watt tube amp? it may not suit your style of music either
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I would't expect a resistor on the tone control, so that's not wrong. It's normally a pot and a cap only. (Just check out some circuit diagrams on the net: e.g. http://www.electricalfun.com/workbenchfun/basic_electric_guitar_circuits_pt3.aspx
).

Many guitars have the OUTput on the side, that's also perfectly normal.

What did you expect it to sound like anyway?

Can you post of video of you playing it on Youtube so or a recording on SoundCloud then we mitt be able to give you some more clues.

P.
I think that this you should be very happy with it, considering it's a 100 dollars guitar. ( seriously, what did you expect ? )

But if you want better sound, there are 2 things you can do :

1) Sell it for 100+ bucks and add 100-150 $ to it and get a squier CLASSIC VIBE.

2) Get it to an expert and let him tell you what's exactly wrong.
If you already got the guitar and never going to part with it... Spend 10 bucks on some new pots and a switch and solder it up yourself. Whenever you come across some decent pickups just wire em in. As long as it stays in tune you can make it sound acceptable.

Everyone needs a cheap guitar to practice wiring, soldering, and other things on.
Thank you everyone for the helpful tips, I will try to replace the knobs and if that wont help, I will sell that guitar with the amplifier toghether.
To answer your question : That's clearly just a shitty cheap guitar...upgrading a guitar in that price range is a terrible idea.
Quote by reverb66
To answer your question : That's clearly just a shitty cheap guitar...upgrading a guitar in that price range is a terrible idea.

You are clearly a douche giving an answer like that. Yes He does need to upgrade, but you don't have to be like that
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Mar 4, 2014,
While his answer is obnoxious, there is a point there. Upgrading pickups and bridges and the like will cost more than a guitar that has all that stock, at a cheaper price.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Fensonous
Despite his bad performance, he looks quite sexy, so I still have my hopes on that guitar. I don't see how the quality of the wood, would impact the quality of the tone..

That depends on the type of wood (and the quality). My first guitar was a Fender Squier Bullet. Simple guitar. Mid-output passive humbuck, maple neck and fretboard...PINE body. If the body of a guitar is poplar wood or Pine, it's not going to sustain as well as a guitar with a higher quality type of wood. The tone also won't be as good. Density of the wood can also affect sustain and tone (which is why Pine and poplar wood isn't a good material, as they're not very dense woods to begin with). So, it may be that the body of your guitar is made out of a lower quality wood, and that's definitely going to affect the tone.

Edit:
If you like the look of the guitar, I would order a new guitar body from a site like warmoth.com. Then, put the Ibanez pickups and the neck and hardware on the new body. Note: make sure you get all the specs correct, if you do this. You're going to have a real shitty time, if your measurements are off.
I suspect the neck and the pickups are much better quality than the body of the guitar, though I'm only guessing from the pictures.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 4, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly
You are clearly a douche giving an answer like that. Yes He does need to upgrade, but you don't have to be like that

Didn't mean to offend and should have used less forceful language. Apologies all around.
The guitar probably isn't worth much. If you genuinely like it though, you can always upgrade it with less expensive, quality hardware. It's still an upgrade and you're not investing a ton

Example. Instead of buying a net set of Grovers ($50+), why not pick up these for $32, or these for $24. I'm having trouble finding a cheap set of covered pickups (you can buy those black covers and install on most pickups btw) but this set of Dragonfire Actives would be a nice upgrade for $80. You could tuck the battery inside the trem cover.

If you're still wanting something cheaper, you could get some from Guitar Fetish, used Dean DMT's (Time Capsules are ****ing awesome), used set from a Squier Classic Vibe/Vintage Modern, or even used G&B's.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
When I started playing I bought a Peavey Patriot II and Rage 158 hard shell case off my cousin for $120. nobody will ever be able to buy that guitar from me. Those 90s Peaveys where fine beginner guitars.

So none of this banter really means a thing until we actually know what he has.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
"To answer your question : That's clearly just a shitty cheap guitar...upgrading a guitar in that price range is a terrible idea." I agree. Trying to make silk purse out of sow's ear. Figure it as tuition and be happy you have developed an ear for what isn't good. Step up to Classic vibe and/or keep eyes and ears open for good deals. Read up more on this site and others so can make new mistakes instead of repeating past learning experiences. Stay at it.