Hey guys, I'm thinking about doing a strat build and for the neck, I want an all maple one with that vintage, super glossy look. Basically I want to get as close to what EJ has in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACH5Z_YPmVg&list=PL8C0A23E5E5D1C379

Is the neck on his guitar just a "vintage gloss" finish, or is there some other/additional oil added? I'm probably going to get a neck off ebay or Warmoth and go from there.

Thanks
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
I'm surprised you don't want his haircut

Probably nitrocellulose, I'd have thought. Gloss poly (or whatever they use on more modern guitars) will have a shiny look to it too (and they often add a tint to make it look more vintage), but yeah if you want to get as close as possible to that look I'd say nitro is what you want.

Don't quote me on that, though, the regulars in here will know a lot more than I do regarding finishes and the like.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Haha yeah EJ's hair (and outfits) in the late 80s and early 90s were great.

I figured it was probably poly gloss with vintage tint. I've just never seen a maple neck that shiny though. Are there any oils or anything out there that would make a glossed neck shine even more?
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Quote by edbert
(a) Haha yeah EJ's hair (and outfits) in the late 80s and early 90s were great.

(b) I figured it was probably poly gloss with vintage tint. I've just never seen a maple neck that shiny though. Are there any oils or anything out there that would make a glossed neck shine even more?

(a) yeah absolutely Absolutely killer player, though. I make fun of his haircut but I still think he's awesome.

(b) I'm not massively well up on EJ's gear, but doesn't he have a load of vintage gear? I'd have thought nitro (but that's not to say maybe at the time of that vid he wasn't using something else)- I mean even the higher end modern fender stuff is nitro.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?