Hi!

I'm currently playing on a peavey 6505+ 60w combo that I've moded into a head, playing through an Orange 212 cab (v30's).

It recently broke, so I am thinking about getting a new one since I don't think its tone suits me.

The amp is mostly going to be used at live gigs, recordings and band practice. I'm mostly using whatever cab the host provides, so there could be different cabs everytime.

Sometimes, I like to use the amp for home practice aswell, but im mostly using my pod for that.

At first, I was determined to buy the Engl Fireball, but i'm note so sure at the moment.

Money isn't an issue, though I don't want to pay unnesescary amounts of money.
I guess that I'm playing a lot of metalcore/death core/ djent style music.
For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJSyNOHpCPM&list=RDAaTfJMbngTc

Amps that I've looked into: Engl fireball, Engl powerball, Engl savage, Mesa dual rectifier, blackstar series one 104, some diesel amps.

There are just to many of them, and I don't have the possibility to test them, since there are no large music shops nearby.

I should probably tell you what I don't like about my peavey aswell,

I think it sounds a bit to muddy when playing palm muted tones and such. It sounds awesome when playing an open chord though. I'm often happy with the sounds in live situations, wich means large rooms, but other than that...

I'm feeling like I have to cut away to much mids to get rid of the muddyness, but then am I dissapering in the mix.

Any ideas?
EVH 5153
Splawn Nitro/super comp
Bogner Uberschall

are a few others you should look at
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
+1 for the Nitro. Some offerings from Baron could be really nice too.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Metalcore/djent?

EVH or Powerball II.
The nitro is too juicy for that stuff if ya ask me.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I would recommend the Engl route too. I have the Powerball I and Ive played the Powerball 2. Both are awesome. Powerball 2 has more options though, so if you can afford it get it. But the I rocks too with a tubescreamer and an eq in the fx loop.

Ive never played or even seen the Savage, but it sounds awesome on youtube. Goodluck
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

The Engl Savage always gets my vote. But so do most Diezels because they are just so awesome.

Played the D-Moll and the Hagen this weekend and both sounded fantastic for those genres.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
I think the 5150 III would be suitable.

Also, don't forget that changing your cab can make just as big a difference, even in between brands. Orange, Mesa, and Marshall all use different V30s.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Thanks alot everyone, i Will look into all of your suggestions. Though it is hard to make up your mind just by watching youtube videos. My local Music store has a mesa and a 6505, im going to ask if they could bring an engl aswell so i have something to compare. I have a used powerball II close to Me that i can test aswell, hes demanding 700€ wich i think is a great Price.

Regarding the cab, i would like to stick with my orange if possible, since i just bought it.

If needed, i have the following pedals to run with the amp,

2x mxr noise gate, boss sd-1 overdrive and a mxr 10 band eq.

Also, the other guitarist in my band is playing a 6505. Hes playing rhythm and im playing the leads.
I'm leaning a bit towards the savage right now. It just sad that I don't have the chance to test one. I LOVE the tone from the savage in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_61tE7aTwU

I guess it has a lot to do with post processing etc aswell.
The mesa is fat aswell, but I love that clear metallic tone comming from the savage.

However, I said that money was not a problem. I had to reconsider that, a brand new mesa/savage would be a bit to expensive for me. Found one used savage for a decent price, but it was sold already.

I got a good price for a diezel einztein 50w, I think it sounds pretty nasty aswell.
Especially the lead tones wich I think would suits me since I'm playing leads in my band.
What do you guys think, would it fit me? 50W should be enough. I never pushed my 60w peavey to the limits anyway.
Last edited by jespheer at Mar 4, 2014,
Thanks for all your suggestions, I'm checking out all of them.

Seems like I can't figure out what sound I'm looking for, wich would be a good starting point to find the perfect amp.

I think that I might just buy the used Einstein. It shouldn't be to hard to sell it again if I don't like it. I don't think I will be disappointed though.

I will probably change my mind 100x times again before I buy anything
Think I've narrowed it down to engl/diezel though.

Engl feels a bit more raw and "fleshy"
Diezel feels a bit more warm and unique.

This is only based on youtube videos though
Last edited by jespheer at Mar 4, 2014,
Every thing Ola England plays is the same detuned BS with lots of post recording production. I really think he sucks at demoing amps
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Every thing Ola England plays is the same detuned BS with lots of post recording production. I really think he sucks at demoing amps

I'm going to give you that one. Everything does sound kinda the same.
He is testing alot of amps though with the same recording technique, wich makes a little easier to compare different amps.

But I get your point.
Quote by Robbgnarly

According to Ola only thing he adds to his vids is lowpass filter at 7khz. Since his playthrough vids lack the multitracking its not that much post production. But the song vids are definetly useless for judging how the amp sounds in real life. They are just nice to watch and listen.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Mar 4, 2014,
Yeah, I'm talking about the ones he does with a full band song
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I like detuned bs with lotsa post production : D
I'll have a look at them vids.

Powerball II for 700 bucks?
Gimme the guy's number if you aren't buying it, though if I were you I'd buy it indeed.
I find every diezel (but the vh four) too sterile, and the powerball II is the amp I prefer in general between the ones I tried in my life, but at this point is more of a matter of preference.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Probably buying a used fireball 60w for 600€. The powerball was sold already. I Couldnt choose between diesel or engl so I flipped a coin. I Can just Trade the engl for a diesel if i dont like it. And I didnt want to spend the Money for a savage, therefore am i buying a fireball. And if i really like the engl character, i might Trade it for a savage later on.

Any last second thoughts?

Thanks anyway all of you
Last edited by jespheer at Mar 5, 2014,
Seems a little high for a 60w if you ask me. But then again i dont really know the 2nd hand prices on engls too well.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
Seems a little high for a 60w if you ask me. But then again i dont really know the 2nd hand prices on engls too well.

The 600€? The amp costs about 1000€ new and from what I have seen used ones have steadily ranged from 500-600€. So its on the upper side of what the amp is worth used but I dont think its particularly overpriced.

TS. It is a firebreathing metal amp stripped to essentials. I doubt you will be dissapointed in it unless you really need all bells and whistles.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Carrot

Maybe a bit high, I don't know.

I bought they fireball anyway

Havent had alot of time yet to play around, but i like it so far.
I think It is a Little bit harsh, but im going to try and tame it with an eq in the loop.
It could be that my orange cab isnt completley broke in yet. It has probably only been played for 10h or so.

Dont know if it really is my perfect amp yet, but I like it over the peavey

I actually like the lack of features and knobs. It's really easy to dial in a good tone.
Last edited by jespheer at Mar 6, 2014,
Quote by jespheer
Maybe a bit high, I don't know.

I bought they fireball anyway

Havent had alot of time yet to play around, but i like it so far.
I think It is a Little bit harsh, but im going to try and tame it with an eq in the loop.
It could be that my orange cab isnt completley broke in yet. It has probably only been played for 10h or so.

Dont know if it really is my perfect amp yet, but I like it over the peavey

I actually like the lack of features and knobs. It's really easy to dial in a good tone.

I have a faint memory that to tame Fireball harshness you need to turn the Presence pretty much off and use the treble only to adjust brightness. Or was it other way around?

I may be mixing this with some other amp but I'm fairly sure it was Fireball.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
I have a faint memory that to tame Fireball harshness you need to turn the Presence pretty much off and use the treble only to adjust brightness. Or was it other way around?

I may be mixing this with some other amp but I'm fairly sure it was Fireball.

Thanks, I tried it and it worked pretty good.

Seems like having trebble on almost full and keeping prescence at 10-15% is a good starting point. I have to play around with them and my eq pedal to see what works best, but it sounds decent at the moment.

Can't wait to compare it side by side with the 6505

I think the 6505 cut through the mix a little bit better, but since I hated the mid frequencies on the 6505 and love em on the engl am I still able to cut better than before. (since I don't have to cut the mids).

The note definition also gets way better with the engl.

Just wanted to write down my thoughts if anyone else would google and find this thread.
Last edited by jespheer at Mar 6, 2014,