So I ended up making a tentative trade to my stubborn Dad, I've been after this thing for a few years now. So I offered him something I knew he couldn't say no to. My Lucille that I just picked up in a trade last week for his Gibson EH-150 Dumpster dive find. That's right someone threw away the first production guitar amp with a drive channel. Here's a nice article explaining the History of the EH-150 http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/21116-my-1937-gibson-eh-150-guitar-amp
My dad wanted me to take it home and see how I liked it first before we shook on the trade. That's not like him usually he'd try and get the jump if he could, that must be where I got it. As we were loading it up in my trunk he realized it was a Gibson amp. I took it home and it sounded awesome, it had very minimal hum and had some superb clean tone. I didn't know about the Mic channels accidental OD channel capabilities while testing it out but after firing it up the 3-4th time the rectifier tube put off an amazing blue light show and went kaput. I ordered a NOS one from a seller a couple hours away. I can't wait to try that Mic channel. Anyways, I think I know the answer to this already. Are there any techniques for getting decades old paint off of Tweed?

Last edited by Reli-Teli at Mar 2, 2014,
Recover it with tweed cloth
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
EH-150 is a great name for an amp!

But yeah, I don't think you will be able to get the paint off without destroying the tweed underneath. You'll just have to recover it.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
I kind of figured, but after watching a few more videos on youtube it almost looks like there's a lacquer or something over top of the tweed. Kind of like a shell, and there areas on mine where the tweed is showing there's a kind of clear coating on it. Any advice on retubing while I'm at it? I already have the rectifier tube on order. When it was working and I was playing through it the amp was loud but not abundantly like you would expect from an old tube amp. Could this be due to the rectifier tube going out at that time? I'm new to tube replacement and functions. Or is there another area I could look at like preamp or drive or what have ya? Thanks
have you changed the caps out?

You can try sanding the paint off and see if that will only take the black and not the clear.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I haven't done any thing with it other than blow the Rectifier tube. I picked it up yesterday, plus I don't know where to start with something this old or any amp for that matter I'm very green I've been playing for years but only recently started repairs and modding. As far as the Tweed I'm going to try the Zakk Wylde method of scraping the paint of with a guitar pick. Or more than likely some type of scraper, that's how he got the finish off of The Grails neck with a guitar pick. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I was just amazed the thing actually worked as you can see from the pic I hooked a pedal up to it for a little boost nothing to crazy and it sounded pretty good, but I could tell it needed some attention. Thanks
Quote by Robbgnarly
have you changed the caps out?

You can try sanding the paint off and see if that will only take the black and not the clear.

Do you know of a good resources for going over an old amp like these? I'm not afraid of a soldering iron, I just lack any technical knowledge I rely on logic I suppose. I actually have a box of ancient caps I got at a yard sale I could probably use. Any help on where to continue with this Legend would be appreciated. I'm about to take the amp and speaker out and get started on removing the paint on the cab. If I can't salvage it which I don't really have high hopes for I'll look into recovering. But I've never even attempted it before and the arched cab looks intimidating to cover.