So in the last few months, I've made various threads about whether or not to ditch my 6505+ in favor of something smaller, and after having a bit of time with the Jet City 2112 combo, I stand firm in my decision to do so. Something about the amp is just so damn good that I'm not getting from the Peavey. I've heard though, that the 5012 is a damn good amp with plenty of gain on tap as well. True? And if so, should I go for it? I'd dearly love to have the extra gain there just in case.
Ibanez Art100 (DiMarzio Evo in bridge)
Epiphone Goldtop (SD Black Winters
6505+ Head
Avatar 2x12 (Eminence Gov/Swamp Thang)
yeah the 5012 is the 50 watt head in combo form i think. (I've only tried the 50 watt head out of the jet cities, just to clarify)

if you want more gain with the lower wattage the 2212 combo also should have the higher gain channel

Far as i'm aware (meaning based on what i've read, as i said, i've only tried the 50 watt head), the normal (cleaner) channel in either of those two channel amps is the same as the single channel in the 2112 combo.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 2, 2014,
The 50 Watt Head is the one that has the really heavy high gain, yes? I've heard it has the Soldano circuitry and the high gain sound of the Soldano.
6505+ Head
Yeah the 50 and 100 waters are budget versions of the Soldano HR+

Like dave said the 5012 (or 5112 wat ever it is) is a 1x12 combo version of the 50 watt head.

The JCA 22h and 2212 combo are 20 watt versions of the JCA50/100
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The 2212 also has has the Soldano designed high gain circuit, plenty of gain on tap, I love mine

Basically all the 2 channels have it, the crunch/normal channel is the same as the single channel and the distortion is the Soldano based high gain
Last edited by jaymz9350 at Mar 2, 2014,
So for someone looking to downgrade into combos, the JC 5012 would be a good alternative to the 6505+?
6505+ Head
Quote by AsOneIStand
So for someone looking to downgrade into combos, the JC 5012 would be a good alternative to the 6505+?

yeah it is similar. The 5150/6505 are really similar to the Soldano SLO (I mean like almost Identical circuits) and the HR+ is the SLO lead channel with a few different components like PT/OT
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by AsOneIStand
The 50 Watt Head is the one that has the really heavy high gain, yes? I've heard it has the Soldano circuitry and the high gain sound of the Soldano.

yeah. and the 100 watt heads have it too.

just bear in mind, your 6505 will likely sound a bit more modern than the jet cities. the jet cities have plenty of gain but it's probably not as modern-sounding as a 6505.

Quote by jaymz9350

Basically all the 2 channels have it, the crunch/normal channel is the same as the single channel and the distortion is the Soldano based high gain

apart from the 50 watt 2x12 combo. it doesn't have the high gain channel even though it has two channels.

the jet city range is pretty confusing until you get your head round it
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
the jet city range is pretty confusing until you get your head round it
Not really, the only ones that are different are the JCA5212 (Soldano Lucky 13) and the custom order 20W'ers. Everything else is a Hot Rod, with or without the OD channel.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
Not really, the only ones that are different are the JCA5212 (Soldano Lucky 13) and the custom order 20W'ers. Everything else is a Hot Rod, with or without the OD channel.

The JCA20 is based on the astroverb circuit without reverb
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^Yeah, good call.

I'll add this though, I would highly recommend getting the 50W combo over the 20W. After owning quite a few 50/100W amps (including a JCA100H) the 22H I have is incredibly disappointing. The tone is definitely in there, but it's lacking the oomph and balls of the bigger ones.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Yeah but the high gain in the Jet City I played, I like a lot better than the 6505+. Maybe it's the one I played, but the sound was awesome and I felt a lot better playing the Jet City than I have the Peavey.
6505+ Head
^ Oh, that's absolutely your prerogative. I didn't say what I said to mean that you'd hate the jet city- just so you knew it wasn't just as modern/brootal sounding as a 6505. It's entirely possible to prefer the jet city/soldano thing.

Quote by Robbgnarly
The JCA20 is based on the astroverb circuit without reverb

oh is it? my mistake

I still say it's confusing.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Oh I know. There's just something in the Jet City that I found that I've never gotten with any other amp... It takes me back to a time where the gain wasn't always over the top and the amp isn't trying to be one of those "I've got to be the heaviest amp out there" It has high gain, but it's a whole different kind of sound. Can someone help me out with what it is that I may have found? LoL It's something about it, I just don't know what it is.
6505+ Head
Sounds like you like the open, non-compressed sound of the Jet City
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
And you can always slap a tubescreamer in clean boost settings if you want a bit of compression.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by AsOneIStand
Oh I know. There's just something in the Jet City that I found that I've never gotten with any other amp... It takes me back to a time where the gain wasn't always over the top and the amp isn't trying to be one of those "I've got to be the heaviest amp out there" It has high gain, but it's a whole different kind of sound. Can someone help me out with what it is that I may have found? LoL It's something about it, I just don't know what it is.

you just like the amp

But yeah seriously I mean you just like the tone/design of the amp, I guess.

FWIW I think my jet city gets fairly compressed. But as you said, it's not trying to be the most brootal thing out there. I like it, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Went ahead and went with the Jet City 2212C. After spending a little bit of time with it, I already love it! I can get a variety of tones out it and not only that, the clarity from this thing is amazing! I actually feel like it's me coming through the amp. I haven't been so excited for my tone in such a long time. Thank you guys for helping out!
6505+ Head
HNAD, glad you like it!
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
sweet
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by AsOneIStand
Went ahead and went with the Jet City 2212C. After spending a little bit of time with it, I already love it! I can get a variety of tones out it and not only that, the clarity from this thing is amazing! I actually feel like it's me coming through the amp. I haven't been so excited for my tone in such a long time. Thank you guys for helping out!

Congrats! If you're getting rid of the 6505+ *and* feel the need for the JCA 50W combo, which is way better (an opinion), hit me up. I have an unopened, NIB (new in box) JCA50 112.
So a trade? You would be interested in a trade? 6505 for the Jet City?
6505+ Head