my amps are an orange twin terror and egnater tweaker 40 so i can get a decent tone out of pretty much any guitar . I quit playing and sold all my guitars when i needed money and i wanna start playing again .gasing for too many guitars overload , i have been thinking about a custom agile al-3xxx , a hss american special strat , or if im lucky a used prs s2 custom 24/22 . what do you think is the best guitar for 800$ or under?!?!
Last edited by OldDirtyGoats at Mar 2, 2014,
Used PRS
if not could get a PRS SE 22/24, picked one up the other day and its great to play.
Using mine for Alter Bridge type stuff
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Doubt you will find a used PRS under $800. If you could stretch your budget you should be able to find a CE for around $900. You might be able to snag a Mira for around $800. I would avoid the S2. Not that there is anything wrong with them, but everyone I played didn't seem to be worth the price tag. In a year or so they will reach a much more reasonable price on the used market, I might snag one then.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
budget stretching is an option , ill look for some used prs ce's then ! i probly wont find one i like the color of since i am trying to buy a guitar soon/now ish . any other suggestions outside of the brands i listed ?
look at GC's used site, they had a bunch of PRS CE22/24's for <$1000 and a few PRS Standard 22/24 for <$1300
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
dang there is a sweet all black prs NF3 on there for like 1100 , i think i am going to buy it !!
I was a big fan of the NF3.you might want to play it first though. All guitars you mentioned at least had a humbucker, just something to think about.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Buy a used American Fender Stratocaster..

You will probably have to stretch your budget $60-$100 bucks to get one used, but it will be well worth it.

Once you get the Strat, maybe a few months from now when you get the money you could get the pickups changed out and maybe the neck readjusted.

All in all, if you are into hard rock, classic rock, punk, hardcore, ska, reggae and pop, you will have everything you need.

Total: $1,160.00 probably after all the work you put in, but you will never have to upgrade again.

I recommend Cool Rail pickups along with a Dimebucker 59.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-FENDER-2008-AMERICAN-STANDARD-STRATOCASTER-HSS-BLIZZARD-PEARL-OHSC-AND-CASE-CANDY-109824484-i3636098.gc

I'd go with something like that, upgrade the pickups, have a trusted guitar tech upgrade the neck.

Good to go, I wouldn't recommend this to you if I didn't plan on doing the same thing.

I myself am probably going to do this soon, I already have one trusty Strat in my collection and I'm looking to add another.

I'm a Stratocaster plugged into a Marshall kind of guy, some people may not understand that, but that's fine.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 3, 2014,
Quote by NewDayHappy
I'm a Stratocaster plugged into a Marshall kind of guy, some people may not understand that, but that's fine.

And my PRS thru my Marshall will do what a strat does and then shit on it while it does it better and then some

If you want great Fender quality get a G&L, their imports are as good as most USA made Fenders
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Mar 3, 2014,
You could get a Gibson LP studio or tribute. If it's classic hard rock then no other guitar would fit the bill better. If it's more modern, used pros is the way to go
Quote by Robbgnarly

If you want great Fender quality get a G&L, their imports are as good as most USA made Fenders

Ditto Godin, Carvin, US Masters, Fernandes JP, Freat-King, Suhr and other high-end Stratclones.

Fenders are great, but their quality isn't untouchable. And often, you can get s better bargain or a flat-out better guitar from other makers.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 3, 2014,
I think Fender owns the under $800.00 market. I don't think any other company makes as good of a guitar in that price range. Godin and G& L make decent guitars in that price range, but I would still simply get a Fender for your budget. fender are the best priced guitars on the market. They're a steal. I would suggest you buy a used American Standard.
Quote by reverb66
I think Fender owns the under $800.00 market. I don't think any other company makes as good of a guitar in that price range. Godin and G& L make decent guitars in that price range, but I would still simply get a Fender for your budget. fender are the best priced guitars on the market. They're a steal. I would suggest you buy a used American Standard.

You've never played a G&L have you?
And you have no idea what is available in the sub $800 like your trying to convey or you would not make idiotic comments like these.

Finding the best guitar for yourself is a personal choice, your ideal guitar is not everyone's and vice versa
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by OldDirtyGoats
my amps are an orange twin terror and egnater tweaker 40 so i can get a decent tone out of pretty much any guitar . I quit playing and sold all my guitars when i needed money and i wanna start playing again .gasing for too many guitars overload , i have been thinking about a custom agile al-3xxx , a hss american special strat , or if im lucky a used prs s2 custom 24/22 . what do you think is the best guitar for 800$ or under?!?!

I just purchased my second 90's Godin SD off eaby a few days ago. They usually go from $300-$400 so you can get 2 to have a backup and I play heavy rock. They will knock the crap out of any Strat in the $800 price range and are versatile. Godin is under-rated and I promise if you get one you'll be hooked. I don't have any experience with the SD22 or the SDXT models but the 90's models are amazing. Later on you can swap out pickups for whatever you like but the Godin pickups are pretty good. I just swapped out my humbucker on my 99' model (bridge position Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB). The one I purchased on Ebay is a mint 1997 (first year of production) that has a Screamin Demon humbucker (bridge) so I'll be very interested to see how that pup sounds. Bought it for $315 which included shipping so it was a total effing steal. I'm hooked and best of all... American made but not an a mass manufacture scaled like Fender and Gibby. PS- These guitars can handle anything from Country to Metal... (I'd never play country).

-Zwerewolf
I also have experience with Strats in the $800 and lower range so I am giving a fair comparison. Also, I don't like the necks on most LP's (kind of like the neck on the Strats but the Godin SD neck is oh so comfortable).
Quote by OldDirtyGoats

New, I'd go with the Custom Agile AL. There's just SO much there to choose from, and so much that you can't get on other guitars like the HSS strat or the PRS S2. I'm putting my money where my mouth is, here, but my guitar will likely run about $1100.

First, the neck-through construction with the contoured neck heel and tummy cut is killer (I already have an Agile Custom, btw). Upper fret access (particularly with the stubby little cutaway horn) is outstanding.

Ebony fretboard, real MOP inlays (or no inlays), stainless Jumbo frets, a 24-fret board (and I'm thinking a 25.5" scale on this one), multi-layer binding on body and headstock, single binding on the fretboard, etc.

You can lighten it up (these tend toward HEAVY) by getting the upper bout chambered. There's NO loss of sustain or tone, thanks to the neckthrough construction, but you do save a pound or two.

I've had my first custom for four or five years now. I handed it to Gary Brawer and had the frets superglued and leveled on the PLEK, and it's still an amazing guitar. I use it more than the Axcess Custom I bought at the same time. Beautiful tone, seriously durable.

Second Option:
Find a lightly used Carvin carved top or neck-through. You're underbudget for a new semi-custom one, but a used one can be a major score.
American Fender Strat
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.