ok so im taming some fizz on my v3m and i was wondering if this following tube layout that im thinkin of picking up would help.

preamp
v1: tung sol 12ax7 re issue
v2: jj 5751
v3: tung sol 12ax7 re issue
v4: tung sol 12alxlps

poweramp
mullard el84 matched quad

or i could go with
preamp
v1: jj ecc83s
v2:jj 5751
v3: jj ecc 81
v3: tung sol 12ax7lps

i think the first choice for the preamp will help tame more fizz due to the lower gain tung sol tubes. i did some reading and v1 changes the amp overall. v2 is split between the 2 gain chanels v3 is for the cleans and fx loop and v4 is the PI. i have found with the v3m the more highs and presence from the eq section the more fizz there is. so im going with a brighter tube to have the amp already bright and possibly control it better with the eq. what do you guys think? and i on the right track?
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
They cost a bit more but NOS JAN GE/Phillips 5751 is really good in V1 of most amps with the fizz problem

The Sovtek 12ax7LPS is a good PI choice
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
IF you are trying to tame fizz, stay the **** away from Tungsol.

JJ ECC803 in V1, JJ ECC83S everywhere else except maybe a JAN Phillips 5751 in the PI.

The only modern EL84 worth pissing on is a JJ.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Gain isn't necessarily the problem, fizzy high end is. Really the easiest and most effective thing to do is run an EQ in the loop and cut the fizzy high end (worked on my V3) but JJ will help otherwise, or as Robb said a vintage 5751, I have heard good things about the new ones JJ is making as well.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Gain isn't necessarily the problem, fizzy high end is. Really the easiest and most effective thing to do is run an EQ in the loop and cut the fizzy high end (worked on my V3) but JJ will help otherwise, or as Robb said a vintage 5751, I have heard good things about the new ones JJ is making as well.

This. Tubes can help, but they won't get rid of fizz on an inherently fizzy amp. My 6505+ was a bit fizzy, then I did a full tube swap for all JJs, including a 12at7 in the phase inverter and a 5751 in V1. Those helped with the fizz, but some was still there.

Then I bought an MXR 10-Band EQ and tried cutting the highest high setting by 6db or so. Fizz became a thing of the past.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I usually see a warmer bias as the suggestion for how to tame the fizz on v3's. Could work on v3m *shrug*
speaker also can affect fizz. depends on which ones you're using.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
perhaps ill try the eq pedal as well.
i was using a sonic stomp with the process knob turned down to see if i can control some fizz..all it did was make the amp sound boxy.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Yeah, I think the BBE SM is great when used for a PA, but for guitar it is horrible IMO
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
idk. ive only used it with the knobs at noon or lower. i like the subtle punch it adds. but its a no go with this v3m due to its fizzy nature
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Personally, I'd go with the tubes I suggested AND an EQ. Between those two things you should be able go get everything you need.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ i was going to agree, but then i saw he had a blackstar ht series 2x12 cab. doesn't it have 70/80s? if so i'd get those swapped out asap. Or just get another cab with good speakers (might be cheaper and handier).

Just checked the BS site. They're a bit cagey on what the speakers actually are (that's a surprise ) but they seem to be 80 watts. I'm guessing 70/80s.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
im pretty sure they are 70/80s. i was looking at wgs veteran 30's they arent too expensive. how do they stand up to the vintage 30?
basically my whole rig is a mess hahahah. what i really should do is sell it all and start over but hey....

as for the tubes i have some jj's ecc83's sitting around so i went ahead and got the tungsols so i can mix and match plus have them in my collection. the current layout is as follows: v1 jj ecc83s v2: eh 12axywa( i think) v3: jj ecc82 v4: tung sol 12ax7lps.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

trust me it needs a tube change. i got it with the stock tubes.....

ill be picking up a eq here shortly as well. the best eq system i ever used was on the gt10. wish i still had mine. im sure with a very small amount of tweaking all fizz issues would be gone
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

I find parametric EQs are not as handy as graphic for guitar applications.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Seventy 80? Oh well, yeah, that has to go too. Nothing sounds good through those pieces of crap. I'm sure even a Mark II would sound fizzy through that.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^

Quote by iheartgun
im pretty sure they are 70/80s. i was looking at wgs veteran 30's they arent too expensive. how do they stand up to the vintage 30?
basically my whole rig is a mess hahahah. what i really should do is sell it all and start over but hey....

I haven't tried them but I can't imagine they'd be any worse than 70/80s
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hi guys, been a long time since I posted anything, but I saw this and realized I dealt with the same thing with my Peavey Ultra+ a while back. I basically did what Cathbard and KailM are suggesting but I went a step further. To my ear, even the JJs had a lot of fizz, so I went to some old GE 5751s in all 4 preamp slots, and that helped some. But then I found some British Mullard 12dw7s (which are half a 12ax7 and half a 12au7, I believe) on ebay and put them in the middle slots, so I ended up with a JAN Philips 5751 in V1, then the 12dw7s in 2 and 3 and a 12at7 in v4. That really helped to decompress and defizz that amp, combined with a much lower gain setting. Finally, I added a MXR 10 band eq (like Cath and Kail suggested again) in front of the amp and tweaked it for a boost. Works great.

I'd like to be able to adjust the bias on my Ultra but I'm no good with a soldering iron so I can't change the resistor out at the moment, but if your V3M has adjustable bias it might be a good idea to check that out as well.

I realize I didn't really add any new information to the thread but hopefully that's helpful!
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion